Austin Meadows traded to the Tigers

maxjusttyped

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wait. I thought some of the real needs were RF and backup catcher. People were screaming about how bad it was that he didn't get a RF. Now all of a sudden the real need is pitching?

Come on, we always needed both. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wait. I thought some of the real needs were RF and backup catcher. People were screaming about how bad it was that he didn't get a RF. Now all of a sudden the real need is pitching?

They never replaced Rodon, so yes, the need is a starting pitcher.

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

No one here is criticizing the Sox for not signing Verlander or Scherzer. They obviously wanted Maneaea but didn't have the trade capital to get it done. Sonny Gray is another arm who was traded and almost certainly would have fit within the Sox budget.

Depth options like Tyler Anderson, Andrew Heaney, Alex Wood, Alex Cobb, Dylan Bundy, Corey Kluber, Zack Greinke etc etc all were available on deals that would have kept the Sox comfortably below the CBT and made the team better/deeper than it is right now.

Along with an acceptable RF and bullpen and 2B upgrades?

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

They never replaced Rodon, so yes, the need is a starting pitcher.

Sure.instead of RF. There wasn't room for everyone to like them all 

I  said it should have been pitching instead of RF.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not just Torkelson and Witt. The Royals and Tigers have some promising arms that have already reached the majors. Skubal, Mize, Singer are just a few. 

The Twins have this guy they're going to start named Jhoan Duran and he throws 100 mph. Joe Ryan is a decent pitching prospect as well. Both will be starting with the Twins. 

I mean, dear Lord we've had like at least a dozen or so of those dating back to Sale — hell, ReyLo used to top put at 101 mph in his Nationals days.

Let me see him do it as a starter long term before making declarations.

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Come on, we always needed both. 

Yes. But how to have a well rounded team and stay under the CBT is the trick.

Just because they need it doesn't mean they have the resources to get it. They needed to prioritize. 

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

$182 million payroll but people still believe this front office isn't serious about winning. 

I believe it's 210 for the CBT. Which leaves them about 20. They need to save some for trade deadline acquisitions.

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's funny because it's true. lol. 

Parkman when looking at the other 29 rosters: 

Spongebob Rainbow GIF - Spongebob Rainbow - Discover & Share GIFs

Parkman when looking at the Sox roster: 

image.jpeg

What's not funny is you spamming this board with nearly 17,000 posts of the same irrational bullshit, hijacking thread after thread in the process. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Tony said:

What's not funny is you spamming this board with nearly 17,000 posts of the same irrational bullshit, hijacking thread after thread in the process. 

Sorry, I fell for it again.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Along with an acceptable RF and bullpen and 2B upgrades?

The Sox are 19.7M below the 1st luxury tax threshold. I didn't pull those names out of thin air. The Sox could have signed any of the pitchers I mentioned, done everything else they did this off-season, and not been in the tax.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just because they need it doesn't mean they have the resources to get it. They needed to prioritize. 

I don't understand why you're acting as if the only options for the Sox adding pitching help is someone who makes over 20M annually or nothing. There is a lot of room in there for the Sox to add a pitcher who could have massively helped but not pushed them into the tax. Again, we *know* they were interested in trading for Manaea and he costs 9.7M this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The Sox are 19.7M below the 1st luxury tax threshold. I didn't pull those names out of thin air. The Sox could have signed any of the pitchers I mentioned, done everything else they did this off-season, and not been in the tax.

So then you are ok with not having any chance of trading for someone at the deadline?

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I don't understand why you're acting as if the only options for the Sox adding pitching help is someone who makes over 20M annually or nothing. There is a lot of room in there for the Sox to add a pitcher who could have massively helped but not pushed them into the tax. Again, we *know* they were interested in trading for Manaea and he costs 9.7M this year.

Definitely seems like there is $10M of payroll space left right now plus room to operate at the trade deadline.

Just now, ptatc said:

So then you are ok with not having any chance of trading for someone at the deadline?

Most of the guys I mentioned signed for contracts well below what Sean Manaea is making! There is no reason this has to be an either or issue, I'm sorry. It was clearly in the budget for the Sox to add another pitcher, RH just severely misplayed his hand.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Right and if you can find another pitcher for that price and not give up the farm for it, it would work. I'm just not sure if that exists. More likely a flier like Cueto.

I just would have gone for the pitcher first with the best trade chip in Kimbrel. 

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely seems like there is $10M of payroll space left right now plus room to operate at the trade deadline.

That would be my guess so that is the challenge now. Find an acceptable pitcher for that price and not trade an MLB important piece.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Being limited by the CBT is a choice.  And they choose to throw $5M here and there to marginal players instead of paying for legit upgrades.  I’ve been a fan of this team long enough to know how they operate so I’m realistic.  But it’s kinda disingenuous to harp on those that were outspoken about the gaping RF hole as if we didn’t also talk about replacing Rodon, or Kopech’s inning limit, or covering for Keuchel when he crashes and burns.  Or the lack of pitching depth in the upper minors.  Pitching was as big a need as RF and they have the means to address both had they made the choice to do so. 

• Like 1