Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

When Rodon's arm blows up in May are all of you going to STFU? Seriously, it's over. Move on. He is going to get hurt. Cueto is a warm body and better than internal options. End of story. This site is really becoming unbearable.

There is still some really good discourse on Soxtalk. It's just a group of 3 or 4 posters that like to have aggressively miserable circle-jerks all the time. I just ignore the posts for the most-part and stay out of game threads.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

There is still some really good discourse on Soxtalk. It's just a group of 3 or 4 posters that like to have aggressively miserable circle-jerks all the time. I just ignore the posts for the most-part and stay out of game threads.

Staying out of the game threads is an absolute must, especially now that we’re one of the dominant teams.  

I know tone is often hard to convey through written word, but I’m pretty sure the game threads consist of grown men legitimately getting pissed at every little tree in an absolutely splendid, beautiful forest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the money isn't a part of the budget? Having a hard time following here.

The Sox offered someone 4.2 million dollars to play. While the 4.2 million isn't guarnteed, there's a non-zero chance they pay out about 4 million of it. When building budgets out, you're not ignoring a value because it might not be paid. It's a part of the total cost until it's not; that's how that works. So they clearly had 4 million to offer to someone, and they chose someone who it's not gauranteed too but still potentially being paid to.

The fact that there's a safety valve that says if he sucks, we don't pay it, doesn't take away from the fact that it was a part of your budget when you offered it. The money had to be there to offer it.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time following. 🤷

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

When Rodon's arm blows up in May are all of you going to STFU? Seriously, it's over. Move on. He is going to get hurt. Cueto is a warm body and better than internal options. End of story. This site is really becoming unbearable.

I would have liked them to sign Rodon, but so many takes saying that this years team is worse than last years team and one of the arguments is losing Rodon.   One year ago today Rodon was a failed prospect/free agent pitcher we signed for nothing who had huge upside, but a terrible track record and serious injury history.  He put together 20 great starts and now he's irreplaceable???  Why can't Katz unlock the cheat code for VV or Reylo like he did with Rodon?  It's probably hoping for too much but the internal growth on all the hitters suggests we could score 5.5 runs a game.  It's going to be a fun year.     

• Like 2

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I would have liked them to sign Rodon, but so many takes saying that this years team is worse than last years team and one of the arguments is losing Rodon.   One year ago today Rodon was a failed prospect/free agent pitcher we signed for nothing who had huge upside, but a terrible track record and serious injury history.  He put together 20 great starts and now he's irreplaceable???  Why can't Katz unlock the cheat code for VV or Reylo like he did with Rodon?  It's probably hoping for too much but the internal growth on all the hitters suggests we could score 5.5 runs a game.  It's going to be a fun year.     

He wasn't irreplaceable they just didn't replace him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

That's obviously what the Sox front office thought, or they would have handled him differently.  Not much excuse for not making the qualifying offer, since it was apparent to outsiders like us he wouldn't take it.  

Rodon pitched well past May last year, and while he was in form and before fatigue set in, he was the best pitcher in the AL.  You can't really "replace" the best pitcher in the AL.  

So, it seems to me it comes down to whether he might last longer now that he built up a 132 inning season last year.  That's almost as many innings as he had as a rookie.  In year 2, he pitched 165 innings.  

For my calculus, what would you pay for top form Rodon in the playoffs?  Because he would be your ACE.  Your top starter.  Someone who could win you multiple postseason games.  That's why I wanted the Sox to keep him.  To have that chance, even if there was some risk he wouldn't be there by October.  

The other reason?  So you don't have to look at as many starts from Keuchel, Lopez, Velasquez or Cueto, and can still keep all your guys fresh.    

47 minutes ago, VAfan said:

That's obviously what the Sox front office thought, or they would have handled him differently.  Not much excuse for not making the qualifying offer, since it was apparent to outsiders like us he wouldn't take it.  

Rodon pitched well past May last year, and while he was in form and before fatigue set in, he was the best pitcher in the AL.  You can't really "replace" the best pitcher in the AL.  

So, it seems to me it comes down to whether he might last longer now that he built up a 132 inning season last year.  That's almost as many innings as he had as a rookie.  In year 2, he pitched 165 innings.  

For my calculus, what would you pay for top form Rodon in the playoffs?  Because he would be your ACE.  Your top starter.  Someone who could win you multiple postseason games.  That's why I wanted the Sox to keep him.  To have that chance, even if there was some risk he wouldn't be there by October.  

The other reason?  So you don't have to look at as many starts from Keuchel, Lopez, Velasquez or Cueto, and can still keep all your guys fresh.    

Unfortunately if he did top out at 165 innings, he wouldn't be available in the postseason unless the skipped 6 or 7 starts for him during the season. 

41 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Put me in the camp that was fine with letting Rodon go at his price due to his injury history. But I never thought these turds wouldn’t of addressed the 4.5-5 WAR his void is going to cost to the rotation. 

Ultimately I understand their thinking, not that I have to like it.  But not replacing the void he left is still a head scratcher.

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

So you want to promote censorship ? If we are talking baseball and  which involves the players and the front office decisions what's the beef ? We are all allowed our opinions and there will be lots of people who don't agree with almost anything anyone says. If they want to say it over and over again that's away to get a message across. Do people promoting any issue ever that's important to people ever shut up ? Not really. I don't care of your issue is people's rights or baseball.

People have lots of opinions about Rodon. Your opinion is he gets hurt and you just told the rest of us to STFU and made a definitely statement like it is the gospel truth.  .

So basically you have spoken,  you are right and the rest should shut up ? You sound like you are promoting your dictatorship.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you want to promote censorship ? If we are talking baseball and  which involves the players and the front office decisions what's the beef ? We are all allowed our opinions and there will be lots of people who don't agree with almost anything anyone says. If they want to say it over and over again that's away to get a message across. Do people promoting any issue ever that's important to people ever shut up ? Not really. I don't care of your issue is people's rights or baseball.

People have lots of opinions about Rodon. Your opinion is he gets hurt and you just told the rest of us to STFU and made a definitely statement like it is the gospel truth.  .

So basically you have spoken,  you are right and the rest should shut up ? You sound like you are promoting your dictatorship.

gotta say, it's weird as heck how upset people get about the opinions of strangers on an internet message board.

"I won't read if the things I believe isn't the dominant voice!"

People that complain about people complaining are worse than the complainers lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Unfortunately if he did top out at 165 innings, he wouldn't be available in the postseason unless the skipped 6 or 7 starts for him during the season. 

There were only 39 pitchers in all of baseball last year who threw 160 innings. Every team will have to do something along these lines - either load management or replacing a guy on the IL.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There were only 39 pitchers in all of baseball last year who threw 160 innings. Every team will have to do something along these lines - either load management or replacing a guy on the IL.

I was just using his number as an example.  All starting pitchers are throwing less. Hence the importance of bullpen pitchers.

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

gotta say, it's weird as heck how upset people get about the opinions of strangers on an internet message board.

"I won't read if the things I believe isn't the dominant voice!"

People that complain about people complaining are worse than the complainers lol

How about the complainers complaining about the non-complainers?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• bmags unpinned this topic