Luis Robert hurt. Again.

southsider2k5

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

I missed the crucial one and just saw it. So he might play today, he might not? IL isn’t in the picture? So weird that this team plays a man down for a week or two at a time. 

The big problem is that there isn't anybody useful to bring up if you do put him on the IL, so as long as he's going to be out < 10 days, it's better to play a man down for several days so you can get him back earlier.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I missed the crucial one and just saw it. So he might play today, he might not? IL isn’t in the picture? So weird that this team plays a man down for a week or two at a time. 

Yea seems like some residual soreness in the wrist but nothing serious 

It is very bizarre how the Sox simply refuse to put a guy immediately (or within a day or two) on the IL and allow themselves to play shorthanded.

It has happened time and time again.

I asked a friend in the mainstream media who has covered the Sox for a number of years if they had an idea why this was being done.

The person explained to me this practice started with Kenny Williams when Jermaine Dye got his leg injury. The person told me the Sox do this for "economic reasons" although they didn't elaborate.

I don't know if it has anything to do with having to start paying the league minimum or perhaps it is because the service-time clock is a factor?

All I know is that it seems very strange and is hurting the team in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, A-Train to 35th said:

Think about, the entire team is injury prone, Eloy on the other hand is uncoordinated, doesn't know how to run, and has a tough time seeing and catching the ball without running into a net or wall.  THe dude is an injury waiting to happen.

Player development, Rick Hahn style

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Love choosing to play a man down for a week when every game is crucial.

Would you prefer the Sox have called up Haseley on Saturday just to watch Tony play him every other day for the 10 days Luis is out?  IF there was any chance of Luis not needing close to 10 days, he shouldn't be on the IL.

Right or wrong, I honestly believe part of the reason for the Sox playing shorthanded several times this season on the position player side  (ie: not ILing borderline injuries) is the simple fact of not giving Tony extraneous guys to overplay.  The FO would rather play with a 3 man bench than call up a shitty player to watch Tony bat him 2nd in the lineup.  This is a real concern.  

On 8/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, A-Train to 35th said:

Think about, the entire team is injury prone, Eloy on the other hand is uncoordinated, doesn't know how to run, and has a tough time seeing and catching the ball without running into a net or wall.  THe dude is an injury waiting to happen.

You are right the entire team is injury prone. You are right on about Eloy. In Eloy's case, his lack of coordination and inability to run well, is a direct correlation to his lack of proper conditioning and diet. He is playing too heavy and should lose weight. He is clearly not very flexible. He would benefit greatly from doing yoga and other extensive flexibility training, like his teammate Dylan Cease does. If Eloy would simply work on his diet and flexibility, he would be more agile and be able to run the bases better and faster and probably be less injury prone. On the other hand, maybe I'm wrong and Eloy is maybe your classic klutz and will always be injury prone.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know there have been plenty of times people have been inactive for a few games  without being put on the IL before but I have never seen it happen over and over and over again like this year. 

Garcia actually played for a week be fore it was determined he was injured.