9/17: Sox at DET, game 2 (5:10c/6:10e)

Eminor3rd

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not the one playing the what if game, you are. And the bottom line is the starting rotation has been above average despite its flaws. That’s just a fact.

Is above average the goal when we’re trying to win championships?  What are you even arguing man?

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not the one playing the what if game, you are. And the bottom line is the starting rotation has been above average despite its flaws. That’s just a fact.

They’re twelfth in the league in fWAR from their starters. So yes, slightly above average, and totally good enough to reach the playoffs as long as it’s teamed with a good offense, bullpen, and defense, but definitely not carrying the team there.

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s obvious at this point but the starting pitching (and relief pitching isn’t the issue). It’s the defense. Time and again we see it rear it’s ugly head at the most inopportune times. 

It's the offense. You can't win scoring 2 runs a night, even against trash like Detroit.

• Like 1

It’s obvious at this point but the starting pitching (and relief pitching isn’t the issue). It’s the defense. Time and again we see it rear it’s ugly head at the most inopportune times. 

Defense has been worthless 5 years running

• TLR 1

coaching, coaching, coaching

fire them all

• TLR 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Is above average the goal when we’re trying to win championships?  What are you even arguing man?

I’m arguing that a team with limited resources like the Sox shouldn’t be spending said resources on the rotation this offseason. There are far bigger issues elsewhere on this roster. I will start with one: defense.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

They’re twelfth in the league in fWAR from their starters. So yes, slightly above average, and totally good enough to reach the playoffs as long as it’s teamed with a good offense, bullpen, and defense, but definitely not carrying the team there.

#s maybe skewed a bit by Cease as well, no?

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So when they bring him back next season you won’t criticize the front office right?

No, because I want to bring in another quality starting pitcher in case Lucas continues to pitch like a #4 guy.  But even this version of Lucas is worth a 1/$8M deal.  I don’t think you realize what bad SPs who can eat innings get in free agency.  VV got $4M guaranteed and has never been good.

I’m arguing that a team with limited resources like the Sox shouldn’t be spending said resources on the rotation this offseason. There are far bigger issues elsewhere on this roster. I will start with one: defense.

I might have missed part of this discussion, but is the point here that they don’t need a 5th starter because of Davis Martin?

1 minute ago, almagest said:

It's the offense. You can't win scoring 2 runs a night, even against trash like Detroit.

Well, of course. But anyone criticizing the pitching for not being good enough needs to account for this godawful defense. With even an average defense, the pitching is top 3 in the league. I truly believe that.