Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd be fine with Benintendi if we improve other aspects of the team by quite a bit.  But he does seem like a guy we will settle for and that be one of our "bigger" moves

lol this is the way we talk in October. By december we'll be pining for Benintendi because we will be targeting like Adam Duvall because Hahn wants to prioritize power and gets a RHH off a down year.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/mlb-projected-arbitration-salaries-2023.html

Projected arbitration numbers for 2023 from MLBTR. They are usually pretty close.

White Sox (8)

Tender: Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech: $21.6 MM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/mlb-projected-arbitration-salaries-2023.html

Projected arbitration numbers for 2023 from MLBTR. They are usually pretty close.

White Sox (8)

I'd totally cut ties with Engel, Crick, and Ruiz no problem. Especially Engel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Sox have to improve their walk rate, hit less ground balls, hit more fly balls and be more left handed. So I’m hoping the team is able to jettison Harrison and Garcia.

And they definitely should explore trading Hendriks. 

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd totally cut ties with Engel, Crick, and Ruiz no problem. Especially Engel.

I might seriously think about tendering Ruiz. He hasn’t been a below replacement player, and was positive in 2021. $1 million isn’t a lot, and perhaps most importantly they don’t have a ton of bullpen depth. Hendriks, Graveman, Kelly, Lopez, Lambert from the right hand side if everyone is healthy? Unless they are planning to sign another good money reliever, let Ruiz go and I guess Burr is the next guy up?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I might seriously think about tendering Ruiz. He hasn’t been a below replacement player, and was positive in 2021. $1 million isn’t a lot, and perhaps most importantly they don’t have a ton of bullpen depth. Hendriks, Graveman, Kelly, Lopez, Lambert from the right hand side if everyone is healthy? Unless they are planning to sign another good money reliever, let Ruiz go and I guess Burr is the next guy up?

Agreed. Ruiz gets a lot of hate because he’s been used poorly and put into some high leverage situations he clearly doesn’t belong. For a million you can do MUCH worse for a guy that can eat 60+ innings out of the pen….Someone has to do it. If we actually had minor league depth I could see wanting to replace him internally, but I’m not sure there’s single guy in the minors that can pitch in the majors next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Burr is no longer with the Sox. I just think they probably could get the same type of production from any other RHP arm. Just looking at his overall career, I don't think Ruiz is anything special. He is what he is at this point IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Can’t have a bullpen full of guys who can’t be optioned.  Plus Ruiz just isn’t very good.  Time to finally cut bait on him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can’t have a bullpen full of guys who can’t be optioned.  Plus Ruiz just isn’t very good.  Time to finally cut bait on him.

That's a good point. Lack of arms with options in the pen was a killer. Ruiz is worth keeping at that price, but if he's brought back, you'd be looking at almost 0 flexibility in the pen again next year.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Burr is no longer with the Sox. I just think they probably could get the same type of production from any other RHP arm. Just looking at his overall career, I don't think Ruiz is anything special. He is what he is at this point IMO.

True, he's now in the Tampa organization. 

11 hours ago, bmags said:

lol this is the way we talk in October. By december we'll be pining for Benintendi because we will be targeting like Adam Duvall because Hahn wants to prioritize power and gets a RHH off a down year.

The Sox have been pining for Benintendi since the Red Sox took him one pick ahead of us in the draft. We ended up with Carson Fulmer (yuk). That will be Rick's big signing and he'll ring it in like we just signed Fred Lynn. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

That's a good point. Lack of arms with options in the pen was a killer. Ruiz is worth keeping at that price, but if he's brought back, you'd be looking at almost 0 flexibility in the pen again next year.

Lambert does have options left. If somehow everyone in the pen is healthy you can send him down to start the year.

22 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

He also is playing a position his body isn't built or conditioned for. Much like Eloy.

The "conditioned for" part is what pisses me off.

I feel like a competent team would fix that "conditioned for" part to reduce the wear-and-tear.

This team's approach is "just don't try so hard." THAT's the Sox's solution to injury prevention.... not actual conditioning.

• Like 1