White Sox share plans for new 500-level bars

Bad Hombre

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

“The idea behind the bars is to help fans experience the park in new ways, Brooks Boyer, White Sox chief revenue and marketing officer, said in a statement.“

Hahahahahahahahahah.  Sure. 

Pour several ones out for Brooks Boyer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I just don't know where they make their money back here. There are 8 seats in an undesirable location for most. They took out 8 rows of seats for this. They sell those for Cubs games and opening day. Do they really think they will make that up in beer sales there? There are other places to buy beer.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of games up until now, if you wanted to get a beer from a vendor or your nearest stand, and wanted to mosey down to section 516 to watch the game, there probably were seats open in the first couple of rows.

I stated earlier all they did was take the handicap sections that are never used and cut a hole in the wall.  There were no seats there to remove. 

• Fire 1

As a professional designer, my opinion:

• TOTAL lack of vision
  • REALLY weak execution
  • absolutely AWFUL presentation

If I showed my clients something like this I’d be fired.  I shared this with my daughter who is an interior designer that works on major architectural projects and she agreed.  I’m still contending that someone in the org had their 16 year old kid do this because they knew how to use some free rendering software.  Completely unprofessional work.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RTC said:

If you want to see what

• A grand vision looks like
  • What a professional presentation looks like

look to our division rivals:

https://fox8.com/sports/cleveland-guardians-announce-2023-guards-fest-roster/

28/40 members of active roster, coaching staff  and former players...

The all-day festival offers stage appearances; autograph and photo opportunities with Guardians players and alumni (with an add-on purchase); a “Field of Dreams” baseball diamond, batting cages, and speed pitch; appearances from Slider & The Dogs, with photo opportunities; and more.

Second baseman Andrés Giménez plans to make his first Guards Fest appearance this year for a custom cleats design contest. Fans can submit their own designs. The winner will have their design replicated by Hrusovsky Custom Kicks for Giménez to use during spring training, and get their own pair as well.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The all-day festival offers stage appearances; autograph and photo opportunities with Guardians players and alumni (with an add-on purchase); a “Field of Dreams” baseball diamond, batting cages, and speed pitch; appearances from Slider & The Dogs, with photo opportunities; and more.

Second baseman Andrés Giménez plans to make his first Guards Fest appearance this year for a custom cleats design contest. Fans can submit their own designs. The winner will have their design replicated by Hrusovsky Custom Kicks for Giménez to use during spring training, and get their own pair as well.

1 hour ago, RTC said:

If you want to see what

• A grand vision looks like
  • What a professional presentation looks like

look to our division rivals:

A Tale of Two Cities:

Cleveland

• Hosting an affordable Guardfest with most of the team plus their manager and a few coaches and alumni to celebrate last year’s AL Central Division Title and the upcoming 2023 Season.
  • Make substantial changes to enhance their already superior stadium, and create a high quality video to sell it to current and prospective fans.
  • Sign their MVP fan favorite player to a $124M contract extension, plus add quality starters at catcher and first base.
  • Are projected to win another AL Central Division title, which if successful, would be their fifth in the Rick Hahn era.

Chicago

• Cancelled any plans for Soxfest last year, with management cowering in fear, too embarrassed and unwilling to face fan questions after another complete and utter failure by Rick Hahn and the team in 2022, and knowing they planned to have yet another disastrous offseason this Winter.
  • The Sox are literally recycling and plopping Rick, Ken and Ron Schueler’s Kiddie Seats and Tables from the past 30 Winter meetings out of storage, and adding two bars and many seats either obstructed or facing away from the field. Sold the weak plan with an even weaker rendition.
  • Tell their MVP fan favorite player to hit the bricks Pal. Sign a contact hitter with five 2022 HRs as the new all time largest Sox contract, and an injured, sucks when it matters asshole undergoing an MLB investigation into domestic violence and child abuse. This on the heals of their ongoing lawsuit filed by Brian Ball, and recent criminal proceedings against managers Tony La Russa and Omar Vizquel.
  • Are projected to waive yet another AL Central second or third place carrot in fan’s faces, grateful Detroit and Kansas City exist to likely suck even more.
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Cleveland extended  their stadium lease  last year. They are staying at their present location for another 20 years. The White Sox lease expires in  another 5 years. They're not going to do anything major to the present stadium  unless they renew the lease.

Also, Benintendi in itself was a good signing. He could easily be the Sox best player over the next few years.

When the Astros signed Abreu, he said the Sox made him a very good offer but he would leave it at that. That tells me it was Abreu’s choice not to return. I imagine he would like to do some winning before he has to retire

4 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Cleveland got a lot of s%*# for dumping payroll, but they actually killed on those trades.

I would disagree on Cleveland’s stadium being superior though

Other than the fact that the Cleveland stadium is in downtown Cleveland, ( The White Sox stadium should have been built in the South Loop) I think the White Sox stadium is better than  the Cleveland stadium.

I know it is said a lot around here when tempers flare, but it’s been a near constant thought since the Clevinger news broke (and I am convinced the white Sox could have done more to figure out red flags before signing this guy): I think I may have to be done with supporting this team at all until it is under new ownership. I’m very sad about it, and my heart is broken. I’ve never followed a team as fervently as I have the White Sox. I think this string of disappointments since Renteria was fired has just finally done me in. Stuff like this 500 level bar thing just makes my blood boil. It shouldn’t. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Fire 1

Benintendi has also averaged only 1 fWAR the prior three seasons (to last year).

With Hahn's track record, that seems more likely than than 2.8 of 2022.

If we extrapolated 2020 out, closer to -1.5 and it would have been just 2 total fWAR over the course of three seasons for Benintendi.

(See Pollock's 2021 3 fWAR, coming out of a similar offense to 2022 NYY.)

Feels eerily reminiscent of classic Sox buy high and sell low strategy...like the time we almost signed Alex Gordon at peak value and got bailed out by Royals' sentimentality for a fan favorite and Dayton Moore favorite as well.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:10 PM, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Cleveland got a lot of s%*# for dumping payroll, but they actually killed on those trades.

I would disagree on Cleveland’s stadium being superior though

I'd like to see the improvements in Cleveland before adjusting my rankings, but would say the remodeled Sox stadium is pretty close to Cleveland's, not a large gap between the two. The OG new Sox park was Bottom 10 embarrassing trash, but the Sox did a good job with the redesign of the UD, seats and other aspects of the remodeled park. Unfortunately could not fix the obvious flaw of not having the park face northeast instead of southeast.

My personal rankings, includes bias in favor of my personal nostalgia and preference of older/original stadiums.

1. Chicago White Sox - Comiskey Park (1910-1990) - Truly the Baseball Palace of the World. There's no place like Home! 
  2. Detroit Tigers - Tigers Stadium (1912-1999) - Absolute treat to attend games at this bandbox. Seats right on top of action. Should have retained.
  3. Boston Red Sox - Fenway Park (1912-current) - Really great place to watch a game, seating near the field. Hate the team and Fever Pitch type fans.
  4. Chicago Cubs - Wrigley Field (1916-current) - Despite one's feelings toward the Cubs, glad it's still around though I am not a fan of new bleachers or video.
  5. Pittsburgh Pirates - Pirates Park (2001-current) - They got everything right with this one, head and shoulders best new stadium.
  6. Los Angeles Dodgers - Dodgers Stadium (1962-current) - Classic stadium, every fan should visit at least once. Miss Vin Scully's call.
  7. San Francisco Giants - Giants Park (2000-current) - Really nice looking stadium, Top Five New Stadium. Definitely worth a trip.
  8. Baltimore Orioles - Camden Yards (1992-current) - Orioles smart to scrap planned HOK Comiskey II plans for this "classic" new ballpark. 
  9. Colorado Rockies - Coors Field (1995-current) - Nice park to visit, lots of nearby breweries and things to do.
  10. Saint Louis Cardinals - Busch Stadium III (2006-current) - Much improved upgrade over the Donut. Great views, solid team.
  11. New York Yankees - Yankee Stadium II (1976-2008) - A bit old cramped and decrepit, but great views, loved visiting Monument Park.
  12. Cleveland Guardians - Jacobs Field (1994-current) - Nice park, view of game, downtown skyline. Would like to check out their major upgrades.
  13. Chicago White Sox - Comiskey Park II (1991-current) - Much improved from 1991 version, still didn't have to happen or should have been much better.
  14. Milwaukee Brewers - Milwaukee County Stadium (1970-2000) - Loved Brewers and Packer games here, really miss. F MillerDome. Higher than objective.
  15. San Diego Padres - Padres Park (2004-current) - Some quirky features, many seats far away. Smile, You're in San Diego!
  16. Seattle Mariners - Mariners Park (1999-current) - Roof was opened, by far the nicest stadium w/ roof, understandable with near daily rain. Worth a trip.
  17. Minnesota Twins - Twins Field (2010-current) - Very nice stadium, cold weather and the fucking Twins suck, however. F that sponsor.
  18. New York Mets - Mets Field (2009-current) - Seemed like more Dodgers s%*# pimped then Mets. F the Giants too, both were/are traitors to New York City.
  19. Detroit Tigers - Tigers Park (2000-current) - Liked OG park dimensions, and they fucked that up, Hate Illich, Little Caesars. Saw Sox Clinch here in 2005.
  20. Atlanta Baseball Team - Turner Field (1997-2019) - Was decent, not very memorable. Vile team and fanbase.
  21. Kansas City Royals - Royals Stadium (1969-current) - Only non donut hole built in the period. OK, looks better now than it did pre renovations.
  22. New York Yankees - Yankee Stadium III (2009-current) - Nice in some aspects, but sterile in others. F the Yankees, big missed opportunity.
  23. Texas Rangers - The Ballpark in Arlington (1994-2019) - Was OK, had some neat quirks to it. Far better than absolute trash new park looks like on TV.
  24. Philadelphia Phillies - Phillies Park (2004-current) - Cookie Cutter meh new park.
  25. Washington Nationals - Nationals Park (2008-current) - Cookie Cutter meh new park.
  26. Cincinnati Reds - Reds Ball Park (2003-current) - Cookie Cutter meh new park.
  27. Pittsburgh Pirates - Three Rivers Stadium  (1970-2000) - Steelers (fan while I watched the NFL) dual purpose. Pittsburgh is a great city.
  28. New York Mets - Shea Stadium (1964-2008) - Donut hole, Home Run Apple / Hat and my Met fandom gives preference over other Donuts.
  29. Washington Nationals - RFK Stadium (2005-2007) - Old and decrepit, though historical.
  30. Saint Louis Cardinals - Busch Stadium II (1966-2005) - Remolded version - frosting on a donut.
  31. Los Angeles Angels - Anaheim Stadium (1966-current) - Donut, even with the remodel, looks and feels sterile. Fits with area fakeness.
  32. Cincinnati Reds - Riverfront Stadium (1970-2002) - Donut - Went to Final Game.
  33. Houston Astros - Astros Park (2000-current) - Saw when roof was open, but still largely a dome, but then again so was the shitty Astrodome.
  34. Montreal Expos - Stade Olympic (1977-2004) - Stadium a dump, but I miss and love my beloved Montreal Expos. Quebecois!
  35. Toronto Blue Jays - Skydome (1989-current) - Dome was open, but pretty sterile place to watch a game, astro turf sucks.
  36. Oakland Athletics - Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (1968-current) - Shithole donut, no roof the lone redeeming quality.
  37. Milwaukee Brewers - Miller Park (2001-current) - Dome, dark and dreary, speakers way too loud. Worse stadium than what they had, not a good visit.
  38. Arizona Diamondbacks - Diamondbacks Field (1998-current) - Dome, dark and dreary. Hard Pass.
  39. Philadelphia Phillies - Veterans Stadium (1971-2003) - Literally saw rats running around, fitting for the city and stadium. Trash, trash, trash.
  40. Miami Marlins - Joe Robbie Stadium (1993-2011) - Shitshow configuration for baseball. Marlins home games played at Comiskey (hurricane) much better.
  41. Tampa Bay Rays - Tampa Bay Field (1998-current) - Jerry Reinsdorf deserved to own a team in this dump. Absolute trash. Abomination to baseball.
  42. Minnesota Twins - Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (1982-2009) - Zero redeeming qualities. Abomination to mankind.

MLB Stadiums I have not attended since having the ability to do so independently at age 18:

• Atlanta Baseball Team - Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (1965-1996)
  • Atlanta Baseball Team - Atlanta Park (2017-current)
  • Baltimore Orioles - Memorial Stadium (1954-1991)
  • Cleveland Guardians - Cleveland Stadium (1932-1933, 1937-1993)
  • Houston Astros - Astrodome (1965-1999)
  • Montreal Expos - Estadio Hiram Bithorn (2003-2004)
  • Miami Marlins - Marlins Park (2012-current)
  • San Diego Padres - Jack Murphy Stadium  (1969-2003)
  • San Francisco Giants - Candlestick Park (1960-1999)
  • Seattle Mariners - Kingdome (1977-1999)
  • Texas Rangers - Arlington Stadium (1972-1993)
  • Texas Rangers - Rangers Field (2020-current)
  • Toronto Blue Jays - Exhibition Stadium (1977-1989)

Italic Stadium Names - Corporate sponsor omitted if not named for an individual human being.

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd like to see the improvements in Cleveland before adjusting my rankings, but would say the remodeled Sox stadium is pretty close to Cleveland's, not a large gap between the two. The OG new Sox park was Bottom 10 embarrassing trash, but the Sox did a good job with the redesign of the UD, seats and other aspects of the remodeled park. Unfortunately could not fix the obvious flaw of not having the park face northeast instead of southeast.

My personal rankings, includes bias in favor of my personal nostalgia and preference of older/original stadiums.

1. Chicago White Sox - Comiskey Park (1910-1990) - Truly the Baseball Palace of the World. There's no place like Home! 
  2. Detroit Tigers - Tigers Stadium (1912-1999) - Absolute treat to attend games at this bandbox. Seats right on top of action. Should have retained.
  3. Boston Red Sox - Fenway Park (1912-current) - Really great place to watch a game, seating near the field. Hate the team and Fever Pitch type fans.
  4. Chicago Cubs - Wrigley Field (1916-current) - Despite one's feelings toward the Cubs, glad it's still around though I am not a fan of new bleachers or video.
  5. Pittsburgh Pirates - Pirates Park (2001-current) - They got everything right with this one, head and shoulders best new stadium.
  6. Los Angeles Dodgers - Dodgers Stadium (1962-current) - Classic stadium, every fan should visit at least once. Miss Vin Scully's call.
  7. San Francisco Giants - Giants Park (2000-current) - Really nice looking stadium, Top Five New Stadium. Definitely worth a trip.
  8. Baltimore Orioles - Camden Yards (1992-current) - Orioles smart to scrap planned HOK Comiskey II plans for this "classic" new ballpark. 
  9. Colorado Rockies - Coors Field (1995-current) - Nice park to visit, lots of nearby breweries and things to do.
  10. Saint Louis Cardinals - Busch Stadium III (2006-current) - Much improved upgrade over the Donut. Great views, solid team.
  11. New York Yankees - Yankee Stadium II (1976-2008) - A bit old cramped and decrepit, but great views, loved visiting Monument Park.
  12. Cleveland Guardians - Jacobs Field (1994-current) - Nice park, view of game, downtown skyline. Would like to check out their major upgrades.
  13. Chicago White Sox - Comiskey Park II (1991-current) - Much improved from 1991 version, still didn't have to happen or should have been much better.
  14. Milwaukee Brewers - Milwaukee County Stadium (1970-2000) - Loved Brewers and Packer games here, really miss. F MillerDome. Higher than objective.
  15. San Diego Padres - Padres Park (2004-current) - Some quirky features, many seats far away. Smile, You're in San Diego!
  16. Seattle Mariners - Mariners Park (1999-current) - Roof was opened, by far the nicest stadium w/ roof, understandable with near daily rain. Worth a trip.
  17. Minnesota Twins - Twins Field (2010-current) - Very nice stadium, cold weather and the fucking Twins suck, however. F that sponsor.
  18. New York Mets - Mets Field (2009-current) - Seemed like more Dodgers s%*# pimped then Mets. F the Giants too, both were/are traitors to New York City.
  19. Detroit Tigers - Tigers Park (2000-current) - Liked OG park dimensions, and they fucked that up, Hate Illich, Little Caesars. Saw Sox Clinch here in 2005.
  20. Atlanta Baseball Team - Turner Field (1997-2019) - Was decent, not very memorable. Vile team and fanbase.
  21. Kansas City Royals - Royals Stadium (1969-current) - Only non donut hole built in the period. OK, looks better now than it did pre renovations.
  22. New York Yankees - Yankee Stadium III (2009-current) - Nice in some aspects, but sterile in others. F the Yankees, big missed opportunity.
  23. Texas Rangers - The Ballpark in Arlington (1994-2019) - Was OK, had some neat quirks to it. Far better than absolute trash new park looks like on TV.
  24. Philadelphia Phillies - Phillies Park (2004-current) - Cookie Cutter meh new park.
  25. Washington Nationals - Nationals Park (2008-current) - Cookie Cutter meh new park.
  26. Cincinnati Reds - Reds Ball Park (2003-current) - Cookie Cutter meh new park.
  27. Pittsburgh Pirates - Three Rivers Stadium  (1970-2000) - Steelers (fan while I watched the NFL) dual purpose. Pittsburgh is a great city.
  28. New York Mets - Shea Stadium (1964-2008) - Donut hole, Home Run Apple / Hat and my Met fandom gives preference over other Donuts.
  29. Washington Nationals - RFK Stadium (2005-2007) - Old and decrepit, though historical.
  30. Saint Louis Cardinals - Busch Stadium II (1966-2005) - Remolded version - frosting on a donut.
  31. Los Angeles Angels - Anaheim Stadium (1966-current) - Donut, even with the remodel, looks and feels sterile. Fits with area fakeness.
  32. Cincinnati Reds - Riverfront Stadium (1970-2002) - Donut - Went to Final Game.
  33. Houston Astros - Astros Park (2000-current) - Saw when roof was open, but still largely a dome, but then again so was the shitty Astrodome.
  34. Montreal Expos - Stade Olympic (1977-2004) - Stadium a dump, but I miss and love my beloved Montreal Expos. Quebecois!
  35. Toronto Blue Jays - Skydome (1989-current) - Dome was open, but pretty sterile place to watch a game, astro turf sucks.
  36. Oakland Athletics - Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (1968-current) - Shithole donut, no roof the lone redeeming quality.
  37. Milwaukee Brewers - Miller Park (2001-current) - Dome, dark and dreary, speakers way too loud. Worse stadium than what they had, not a good visit.
  38. Arizona Diamondbacks - Diamondbacks Field (1998-current) - Dome, dark and dreary. Hard Pass.
  39. Philadelphia Phillies - Veterans Stadium (1971-2003) - Literally saw rats running around, fitting for the city and stadium. Trash, trash, trash.
  40. Miami Marlins - Joe Robbie Stadium (1993-2011) - Shitshow configuration for baseball. Marlins home games played at Comiskey (hurricane) much better.
  41. Tampa Bay Rays - Tampa Bay Field (1998-current) - Jerry Reinsdorf deserved to own a team in this dump. Absolute trash. Abomination to baseball.
  42. Minnesota Twins - Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (1982-2009) - Zero redeeming qualities. Abomination to mankind.

MLB Stadiums I have not attended since having the ability to do so independently at age 18:

• Atlanta Baseball Team - Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (1965-1996)
  • Atlanta Baseball Team - Atlanta Park (2017-current)
  • Baltimore Orioles - Memorial Stadium (1954-1991)
  • Cleveland Guardians - Cleveland Stadium (1932-1933, 1937-1993)
  • Houston Astros - Astrodome (1965-1999)
  • Montreal Expos - Estadio Hiram Bithorn (2003-2004)
  • Miami Marlins - Marlins Park (2012-current)
  • San Diego Padres - Jack Murphy Stadium  (1969-2003)
  • San Francisco Giants - Candlestick Park (1960-1999)
  • Seattle Mariners - Kingdome (1977-1999)
  • Texas Rangers - Arlington Stadium (1972-1993)
  • Texas Rangers - Rangers Field (2020-current)
  • Toronto Blue Jays - Exhibition Stadium (1977-1989)

Italic Stadium Names - Corporate sponsor omitted if not named for an individual human being.

The Royals' stadium is nicer aesthetically inside the park with the fountains...basically the same exact stadiums, especially the race or slant of upper deck seats.

Crazy have been to both old Texas/Arlington stadiums but not the newest...yet another sign of getting old.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Royals' stadium is nicer aesthetically inside the park with the fountains...basically the same exact stadiums, especially the race or slant of upper deck seats.

Crazy have been to both old Texas/Arlington stadiums but not the newest...yet another sign of getting old.

Is it also a sign you’re still stuck in China?

I used to plan trips to visit new stadiums, but the MLB has disgusted me so over the past three “seasons”, I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back. I also hate Atlanta (city/team), and the two other stadiums are shitty domes I hate watching baseball in.

I went to a few games in 2021 with free tickets (skybox Wrigley), but my last paid for game or White Sox was March 2020 at Diamondback Ranch in Arizona to watch the Sox play SD, my first ever trip to Spring Training (was always busy at work in Winter).

Don’t like the fact the Sox banned all cash including box office and concessions. Fans miss entire innings waiting in line, in part due to CC processing. Problems also noted with lines just to enter games on crowded days. That and LaRussa / Jerry kept me away the past two years, waiting for new owner to return at this point. I don’t see Jerry leaving until the 2030s/2040s. Hell, Virginia and Jerry may still be around entering 2050.

Is this a joke....?  They did a big press release to brag that you can now buy a $13 dollar Miller Lite from a new vendor in the deserted upper deck and then choose from 4-5 high tops that mostly face away from the field?  I think the Sox are trying to become a meme.