2023-24 NFL Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

See, if he resigned this morning then why couldnā€™t flus say they were replacing him? Ā I guess if it happened during the press conferenceĀ 

maybe i'm a softee, but I think it's ok to not comment until there is alignment on next steps (including who will replace) given the media was about to be in locker room/etc and unleash everything on the players.

That's the internal org shill part of me.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Donā€™t really understand this, as Poles hired this staff, not the previous regime. Ā Warren can absolutely say ā€œthis wasnā€™t my guyā€ about Poles, but Poles canā€™t say that about the staff under him

Didn't the coaching candidates interview prior to Poles making a decision, I could be wrong but thought he was somewhat limited as to who he could hire with Bill Polian having some input.

That's about the only reason I think of for allowing Poles to clean house 19 games into his tenure with a regime he put together.

Warren has got to be thinking of pulling the plug on all of them.

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea I didnā€™t want to say it, but when they are raiding home and work, they are usually looking at accessed computers. Ā Not sure why they would need all that for betting

First of all, very sick and disgusting if true. Secondly, were there not any red flags or do the Bears do the same level of due diligence in investigating coaches as the Sox did with regards to DUIs?

Let's assume for a moment that Alan Williams really is resigning for health and family reasons, there is a long list of people he should be suing. All that whirlwind about everyone speculating on twitter for all these crimes he may or may not have committed were actually just one guy making unfounded claims it looked like he made up, and other random people just running with it for clicks (pretending they had sources other than this guy's tweet). That stuff finally started deflating when actual reporters started asking questions and got categorical denials from everyone involved.

I know that it kind of breaks a taboo for Justin Fields to be talking about the coaches, and I know also that the headlines stripped out the context of why he was saying that (and that he accepted accountability for his own poor play), but I'm okay with him standing up for himself here. He didn't let that narrative take hold because he's a team-first guy with a strong work ethic, but he really said nothing wrong, and nothing that a bunch of people weren't already noticing or commenting on. There really is no other explanation for why he is suddenly having so much more trouble seeing guys who are wide open than he was before. There were some throws against Tampa that would have been so easy that he wouldn't really deserve much credit for making them.

44 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I know that it kind of breaks a taboo for Justin Fields to be talking about the coaches, and I know also that the headlines stripped out the context of why he was saying that (and that he accepted accountability for his own poor play), but I'm okay with him standing up for himself here. He didn't let that narrative take hold because he's a team-first guy with a strong work ethic, but he really said nothing wrong, and nothing that a bunch of people weren't already noticing or commenting on. There really is no other explanation for why he is suddenly having so much more trouble seeing guys who are wide open than he was before. There were some throws against Tampa that would have been so easy that he wouldn't really deserve much credit for making them.

I liked what he said and I really don't think he was trying to throw coaches under the bus. In my mind - he is so worried about doing what he was coached to do - that he is thinking so much about how they want him to do it, vs. just going out and making plays.Ā  That isn't necessarily bad coaching - its more, I got to be better and him realizing he's got to go play and make sure he's playing his part in giving the right feedback in the offensive design, etc.

I also really wonder how much are they pressuring him to see what he can do in certain situations to challenge his growth too.Ā  They clearly went too far cause they took away all of his strength(s) and tried to make him a pure pocket passer, which isn't smart.Ā  But Flus was quoted I believe stating that to win in this league, you have to be able to pass from the pocket - which is true.Ā  So is there an element of - look, we know this is your weakness, but we want to spend some time with you taking your lumps doing this - because IT WILL make you better in the long run.Ā  And than - when we get there, we put the wrinkles back in and you are set.Ā Ā 

Note: The above makes sense, especially if you were someone like Poles, cause you are taking the long right now and have solid job security. If you are Flus though, that approach is playing a dangerous game and obviously you have to balance how your QB will deal with those failures and expectations.Ā Ā 

24 minutes ago, lostfan said:

yeah, though I would say some of this is just what annoys me about nfl dialogue. All offseason you'd hear people talk about how fields needs to improve his passing and stay in the pocket more so he can stay healthy. And then they hear the coaching staff is trying to get him to stay in pocket more and its like "LOL WHAT MORONS THEY SHOULD JUST RUN HIM".

Fields can be better than this and needs to play more instinctively. But some teams will take away his running and he has to make them pay earlyĀ 

Ā