2023-24 NFL Season Thread

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

They screwed up by not getting a better OL. You flip flop Stroud and Fields and Fields is the one throwing for 400 yds and 4 TD and Stroud is the one who is injured from getting hit repeatedly.

um no. Their offensive line has been extremely banged up in houston. Nobody would have said his weapons were strong, they traded their veteran in Cooks to Dallas. He's just extremely good. And contrary to popular belief in Chicago, there is no QB plan that does not involve being able to occasionally throw into the middle of the field or short passes to avoid catastrophic 2nd and 47s due to a sack.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

They screwed up by not getting a better OL. You flip flop Stroud and Fields and Fields is the one throwing for 400 yds and 4 TD and Stroud is the one who is injured from getting hit repeatedly.

Stroud isn't throwing behind some world beating oline.Ā Ā 

6 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Did Poles and company screw up big time by trading away the #1 Pick? Cj Stroud was sitting there for the taking...Ā 

It will be another talking point if Stroud ends up become a generational talent, but I canā€™t really blame the Bears. In some alternate reality theyā€™d take Bryce Young, if anything. Similarly, if they have #1 for 2024 theyā€™ll take Williams. Itā€™s like a team would rather fail with the hype than risking out thinking themselves with the #1 ā€œconsensusā€ pick. You of course want the higher pick for additional draft capital, but we could end up with #3 and #5, initially feel disappointed, but end up still having great options with Penix Jr. and Olu at OT.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Talent finds a way. I believe the whole ā€œMahones wouldnā€™t be the sameā€ on the Bears argument is just the coping mechanism our fans have created to justify missing out on a HOF QB. He wouldnā€™t have been at his current level given KC was the perfect fit; but I believe heā€™d be closer to his current level on the Bears, then, to believe he wouldā€™ve been ruined. Or just some average QB

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Talent finds a way. I believe the whole ā€œMahones wouldnā€™t be the sameā€ on the Bears argument is just the coping mechanism our fans have created to justify missing out on a HOF QB. He wouldnā€™t have been at his current level given KC was the perfect fit; but I believe heā€™d be closer to his current level on the Bears, then, to believe he wouldā€™ve been ruined. Or just some average QB

This - I think the elite QB's would have been there wherever they were. However, there are good QB's who wouldn't be good without the right surroundings. It seems like there are a number of those QB's today. I don't think Brock Purdy is Purdy without being in a situation with right talent, etc.Ā Ā 

In fact - I think the QB position is one where right now - beyond the few absolutely elite guys, the margin for the rest of the players has shrunk considerably, especially at the NFL level - where the talent, system/coaching - become very critical as well around your success.Ā  I think of someone like Russel Wilson in Seattle - he has talent (despite his Denver struggles) - but every part of that system, staff, and parts (including strong D / ground game / conservative approach) helped situate Wilson to be the best he could be.Ā Ā 

Jared Goff is interesting. Talk about a steal for Lions when they got him.Ā  And he is coming from a place where the coach/system is off the charts good too.Ā  One player who intrigues me a ton is Kyler Murray.Ā  He had a great start of his career and did it with in my mind one of the worse NFL coaches in a while.Ā  That system was awful and Murray still had plenty of good seasons.Ā  Now there were work ethic concerns, etc, which are on Murray, but If Cardinals quickly "IR" him, I could see him as the type of guy who ressurects his career, ala Goff somewhere else.Ā 

9 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It will be another talking point if Stroud ends up become a generational talent, but I canā€™t really blame the Bears. In some alternate reality theyā€™d take Bryce Young, if anything. Similarly, if they have #1 for 2024 theyā€™ll take Williams. Itā€™s like a team would rather fail with the hype than risking out thinking themselves with the #1 ā€œconsensusā€ pick. You of course want the higher pick for additional draft capital, but we could end up with #3 and #5, initially feel disappointed, but end up still having great options with Penix Jr. and Olu at OT.Ā 

Penix is lousy at creating outside pocket and limited escapability.

Need the best OL in sport to protect him.

Ā 

20 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yep, he is lighting it up without a great o-line, a terrible running game and Nico Collins who looked like an average at best WR in his first years as his #1 guy and a 3rd round rookie as his #2 WR.Ā  People need to just be honest with themselves that Fields is a great athlete that can at times make plays but just hasn't shown any ability to process and make reads or make the throws you need to on a consistent basis to be a good NFL QB.

23 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep, he is lighting it up without a great o-line, a terrible running game and Nico Collins who looked like an average at best WR in his first years as his #1 guy and a 3rd round rookie as his #2 WR.Ā  People need to just be honest with themselves that Fields is a great athlete that can at times make plays but just hasn't shown any ability to process and make reads or make the throws you need to on a consistent basis to be a good NFL QB.

Extremely well saidĀ 

19 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

That's the stuff that is evident with Bagent v Fields but the Chicago media refuse to address.Ā  It has to be the coaching that can't game plan for his skill set.Ā  Ā 

The offense seems to run smoother with Bagent.Ā  He's not the answer but it does make me rethink Getsy a little and I thought Getsy was 100% the problem.Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

That's the stuff that is evident with Bagent v Fields but the Chicago media refuse to address.Ā  It has to be the coaching that can't game plan for his skill set.Ā  Ā 

The offense seems to run smoother with Bagent.Ā  He's not the answer but it does make me rethink Getsy a little and I thought Getsy was 100% the problem.Ā Ā 

Bagent has 8 turnovers in 3 1/2 games. Ā The offense isnā€™t running smoother, Fields had just come off a 2 game span with 8 TDs.

its crazy to me that anyone can watch Guetsy call a game and think he isnā€™t a huge part of the problem. Ā He has no counterpunch when someone sticks the offense in the mouthĀ 

• Thanks 2

On 11/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Bagent has 8 turnovers in 3 1/2 games. Ā The offense isnā€™t running smoother, Fields had just come off a 2 game span with 8 TDs.

its crazy to me that anyone can watch Guetsy call a game and think he isnā€™t a huge part of the problem. Ā He has no counterpunch when someone sticks the offense in the mouthĀ 

I said I felt he was 100% the problem now maybe just 90%.Ā  The offense running smootly in that the presnap activity does not seem as hectic and guys are moved about more simply to get a read.Ā  I also feel that the timing is better, less unnecessary timeouts and DOG calls on them.Ā 

Bagent isn't the answer but if you are looking at production from an undrafted D2 rookie playing for a coach that you say is abysmal, I'd say he may actaully be succeeding to a degree.Ā  He looks to be a nice back up.Ā Ā 

Ā 

32 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I said I felt he was 100% the problem now maybe just 90%.Ā  The offense running smootly in that the presnap activity does not seem as hectic and guys are moved about more simply to get a read.Ā  I also feel that the timing is better, less unnecessary timeouts and DOG calls on them.Ā 

Bagent isn't the answer but if you are looking at production from an undrafted D2 rookie playing for a coach that you say is abysmal, I'd say he may actaully be succeeding to a degree.Ā  He looks to be a nice back up.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I agree that he has proven to be a capable backup. Ā I also think Guetsy plans around Bagents deficiencies and he forces Justin to do things that Justin is not good at, which is absolutely wild considering he should be looking at Justin through the lens of his employment now and in the futureĀ 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I agree that he has proven to be a capable backup. Ā I also think Guetsy plans around Bagents deficiencies and he forces Justin to do things that Justin is not good at, which is absolutely wild considering he should be looking at Justin through the lens of his employment now and in the futureĀ 

I get that these guys have egos, but I cannot fathom why you'd say "my way or the highway" when it's really your job on the line. Fields will have a nice career carved out for him as a backup at worst. Getsy's floor is "QB coach for high school football".

9 minutes ago, almagest said:

I get that these guys have egos, but I cannot fathom why you'd say "my way or the highway" when it's really your job on the line. Fields will have a nice career carved out for him as a backup at worst. Getsy's floor is "QB coach for high school football".

Thatā€™s the thing that drives me nuts. Ā Jason Liesure was on score today and said Nagy wanted everyone to be Alex Smith, and Guetsy wants Justin to be Rodgers. Ā Seems a bit much to expect of anyoneĀ 

56 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Thatā€™s the thing that drives me nuts. Ā Jason Liesure was on score today and said Nagy wanted everyone to be Alex Smith, and Guetsy wants Justin to be Rodgers. Ā Seems a bit much to expect of anyoneĀ 

"I only look good if you're this specific type of QB or a first ballot Hall of Famer" isn't the flex these guys think it is...

I feel like Getsy isn't good but people acting like it's easy to make an offense for fields that isn't what we ran last year (THEY NEVER PASS, SO ANTIQUATED) which put him at too much risk, and also doesn't ask him to - apparently - have him be able to throw short and intermediate passes and read defenses isn't as easy as some think.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like Getsy isn't good but people acting like it's easy to make an offense for fields that isn't what we ran last year (THEY NEVER PASS, SO ANTIQUATED) which put him at too much risk, and also doesn't ask him to - apparently - have him be able to throw short and intermediate passes and read defenses isn't as easy as some think.

I totally agree that game planning with Justin is a challenge in both strategy and health, but I mean at least give it a genuine shot. Ā Roll the kid out, move the pocket, do some play action. Ā Maybe if you help the game come to him something will click either in game or even long term. Ā Iā€™m just so sick of watching everyone struggle across the board with this current playbook, playing it and calling it. Ā