2023-24 NFL Season Thread

I donā€™t care and am fine with them winning. Defense is improvingā€¦and young players are flashing. Offenseā€¦well they will have entirely new coaches soon enough.Ā 
Ā 

End of the day I care about Panthers pick and the rest of the team trending up. If Bears pick at 1 and 2 great or if it is at 1 and 8 and 8 is because the team and younger players are trending right direction, great.Ā 
Ā 

But get the qb with the first pick and go tackle or something else. Bears arenā€™t getting Harrison JR cause they were never going to pick ahead of Arizona.Ā 

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Bears are the only NFL team in the Super Bowl era to win a road game without scoring a TD, having 75+ penalty yards and losing multiple fumbles.

Road teams were a combined 0 - 46 with those combined stats (regular and post season).

They did win the turnover and time of possession battle. Had they lost - it would have been a 3rd game where they outplayed the competition materially and lost.Ā 
Ā 

Flus is gone at end of the year, but had they not had two epic choke jobs, they would be 6-3 in their last 9 games and trending up. Defense is certainly trending up. Sweat addition looks a hell of a lot better thus far than Claypool.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

They did win the turnover and time of possession battle. Had they lost - it would have been a 3rd game where they outplayed the competition materially and lost.Ā 
Ā 

Flus is gone at end of the year, but had they not had two epic choke jobs, they would be 6-3 in their last 9 games and trending up. Defense is certainly trending up. Sweat addition looks a hell of a lot better thus far than Claypool.Ā 

They really should be 6-6 with competent coaching. They lost 2 games where they held a 98%+ win expectancy.Ā 

I'm kind of afraid that if the defense keeps playing this well, the guys at the top of the org might think they should keep Eberflus.Ā 

13 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They really should be 6-6 with competent coaching. They lost 2 games where they held a 98%+ win expectancy.Ā 

I'm kind of afraid that if the defense keeps playing this well, the guys at the top of the org might think they should keep Eberflus.Ā 

They canā€™t draft a new qb and keep Flus. I suppose you could punt on the qb, replace Getsy and draft Marvin Harrison after a trade down from #1 and give Flus one more year.Ā 
Ā 

Flus isnā€™t trash but he isnā€™t great either. I commend the team plays hard despite all the losses, but Poles had to talk to him about not using Sweat (and my guess is also for them to use Moore more). That isnā€™t a good sign in my mind.Ā 

• Like 1

Do NOT draft a QB this year. They're fools gold. Try to identify who's going to be the worst team in 2024, swap first round picks with them (plan seems to be working so far this year), and get your QB next year. In the meantime, get a damn LT, C, maybe also LG, an edge rusher, and some more defensive depth.

Get a competent QB coach/OC who can take one more shot with Fields next year and then be ready for the new guy when that doesn't work.

5 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Do NOT draft a QB this year. They're fools gold. Try to identify who's going to be the worst team in 2024, swap first round picks with them (plan seems to be working so far this year), and get your QB next year. In the meantime, get a damn LT, C, maybe also LG, an edge rusher, and some more defensive depth.

Get a competent QB coach/OC who can take one more shot with Fields next year and then be ready for the new guy when that doesn't work.

Whatever route Poles chooses to follow, he better get it right. Thatā€™s the position he has put himself in. No more excuses.Ā Two potential #1 picks in two years, there needs to be a franchise QB at the other end of this.Ā 

If he decides to keep Fields, and go with another head coach and/or OC, then he better be outplaying whoever is drafted in 2024. No more Stroud excuses of, ā€œno one could have predicted that,ā€ and ā€œwe were evaluating Fields.ā€ Too bad. Get it right, or youā€™re done.Ā 

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Whatever route Poles chooses to follow, he better get it right. Thatā€™s the position he has put himself in. No more excuses.Ā Two potential #1 picks in two years, there needs to be a franchise QB at the other end of this.Ā 

If he decides to keep Fields, and go with another head coach and/or OC, then he better be outplaying whoever is drafted in 2024. No more Stroud excuses of, ā€œno one could have predicted that,ā€ and ā€œwe were evaluating Fields.ā€ Too bad. Get it right, or youā€™re done.Ā 

Keeping Fields around for another "development" year is totally off the table in my mind. The dude has had pleny of time to show that he is a franchise quarterback. The time is up on Fields.Ā 

6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I find it wild you could be so confident about this. If anything, I think the anti- position should just be there is too much uncertainty on who a good QB will be, and this team is in a position to build a strong team first with this years strong oline + WR + CB classes.

You have no idea if the top of the class of Williams or Maye will be great, or if the best Qb will end up being someone like Jayden Daniels/Nix/Penix etc.

We had no idea the 2020 QB class was that epic. No idea 2021 would be that poor. No idea that CJ Stroud would be one of the immediate impact QBs.

You just don't know, but it kills your team if you don't play, can kill it if you do play, or can set launch you up a class for a decade.

I do wonder if all the QB injuries this year have fooled people into thinking they can compete without QBs like the Steelers/Browns/etc are doing.Ā 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Keeping Fields around for another "development" year is totally off the table in my mind. The dude has had pleny of time to show that he is a franchise quarterback. The time is up on Fields.Ā 

IMO the decision to keep fields isn't "is he the long term answer" it's "do we take advantage of some of this outlier talent at WR/OT and be opportunistic about QB at later time".

Fields isn't a top 15 QB at this point, I feel confident in saying. I think having a 16-20 QB with improvements in WR, OL and continued growth from defense may be worth setting the foundation on before you find that QB who sticks.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

IMO the decision to keep fields isn't "is he the long term answer" it's "do we take advantage of some of this outlier talent at WR/OT and be opportunistic about QB at later time".

Fields isn't a top 15 QB at this point, I feel confident in saying. I think having a 16-20 QB with improvements in WR, OL and continued growth from defense may be worth setting the foundation on before you find that QB who sticks.

Iā€™d be perfectly fine with that route if there werenā€™t several very good QBs available in the upcoming draft. I just donā€™t see how Polesā€™ survives if he passes up on another potentially great QB because he is content with Fields.

Look at it this way, we have been trying to build a foundation then find a QB who sticks for our entire existence. It hasnā€™t worked. Letā€™s focus on the QB position first. And if we donā€™t get it right in three years, then try it again. Because once we do get it right, then we are good for the next decade

10 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Iā€™d be perfectly fine with that route if there werenā€™t several very good QBs available in the upcoming draft. I just donā€™t see how Polesā€™ survives if he passes up on another potentially great QB because he is content with Fields.

Look at it this way, we have been trying to build a foundation then find a QB who sticks for our entire existence. It hasnā€™t worked. Letā€™s focus on the QB position first. And if we donā€™t get it right in three years, then try it again. Because once we do get it right, then we are good for the next decade

Or you could think that none of the QBs in this draft are special. I'm not a Fields fan, he's unclutch and fumbles too much, but I don't think any of the QBs are any better than Fields.Ā 

I think Fields has a floor of average and he might not get any better than that, but you have to admit he's had two absolute dipshits calling plays for him and still has shown growth.Ā 

I don't think he's the guy either, but if they start over you're probably gonna get Zach Wilson and that's worse.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

They're never going to get it right. They're cursed. They will go a century without one. It will be 2050, I will be in my 60s or dead and they still won't have a franchise QB.Ā 

They will get one after we're all dead. Think of how many people lived and died as Cub fans never seeing them win a WS. This is our curse as Bear fans.Ā 

i would be surprised if none of the QBs in this class are special.

I worry most about Williams - despite being a backer - that we have overvalued off-script playmaking too much in college.

That has to be the number one most interesting thing about CJ Stroud. That was his knock, too robotic, didn't show he could do it until the last game.

Except maybe he showed his smart decision making in that it probably wasn't needed to go off script that much when you had a top 5 o line/wr corps, and that he had another trick in his bag for NFL speed.

But, OTOH, williams/maye both have the arm/athleticism to make the throws you need to make when things get uncomfortable.

I love Jayden Daniels though, I feel like he is being knocked for things he shouldbe knocked for...I just think he is one of those outliers. He has a great receiver group, but he is that offense. If anyone is fools gold it's probably him, but I'm buying it anyway lol.

I'd be stoked if we drafted MHJr, traded back of our second pick, and took Jayden Daniels in later teens if possible and collect some 2nd rounder/third rounders

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

i would be surprised if none of the QBs in this class are special.

I worry most about Williams - despite being a backer - that we have overvalued off-script playmaking too much in college.

That has to be the number one most interesting thing about CJ Stroud. That was his knock, too robotic, didn't show he could do it until the last game.

Except maybe he showed his smart decision making in that it probably wasn't needed to go off script that much when you had a top 5 o line/wr corps, and that he had another trick in his bag for NFL speed.

But, OTOH, williams/maye both have the arm/athleticism to make the throws you need to make when things get uncomfortable.

I love Jayden Daniels though, I feel like he is being knocked for things he shouldbe knocked for...I just think he is one of those outliers. He has a great receiver group, but he is that offense. If anyone is fools gold it's probably him, but I'm buying it anyway lol.

I'd be stoked if we drafted MHJr, traded back of our second pick, and took Jayden Daniels in later teens if possible and collect some 2nd rounder/third rounders

This is the way. Jayden Daniels is gonna be a guy in the NFL. Will be thrilled beyond belief if the Bears can somehow get him and Harrison Junior come 2024.Ā 

Jalen Hurts went #53 overall. Teams are gonna regret passing up on Daniels just like they are regretting passing up on Hurts.Ā 

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

Iā€™ll throw myself in too as a believer in Daniels. I donā€™t know if heā€™ll make it out of the top 10 though.Ā