2023-24 NFL Season Thread

22 minutes ago, soulfly said:

That's the route I was thinking (trading down to 2 or 3 and drafting Harrison).  But honestly, just the thought of this team paying Fields 25-30+ million a year very soon is vomit inducing.    The more I've thought about it, the more I feel like you have to reset the clock on a cheap QB for the next four years.  Now if the Bears think the top four QBs in this class are pretty similar, you take Harrison at #1.  Trade Fields and draft whichever QB is left at #9.  Honestly, Whoever they draft at #9 with Harrison is going to be at least as good as Fields was this year.  So why not punt on having to pay a mediocre QB big bucks when you don't have to.

Daniel Jones will be making $46 million this year and $41 million next year. The Dead Cap would be $70 million to cut him next year and $22 million the following year (they moved the cap hits into Y3 and Y4, so they will have to pay those if he's cut). 

Overall, he's going to average $43.5 million in money over the first 2 years of that deal and they will have more than $80 million in cap space used for him.

All I'm saying is $25-$30 million is likely seriously underestimating what it would take to extend him.

29 minutes ago, soulfly said:

That's the route I was thinking (trading down to 2 or 3 and drafting Harrison).  But honestly, just the thought of this team paying Fields 25-30+ million a year very soon is vomit inducing.    The more I've thought about it, the more I feel like you have to reset the clock on a cheap QB for the next four years.  Now if the Bears think the top four QBs in this class are pretty similar, you take Harrison at #1.  Trade Fields and draft whichever QB is left at #9.  Honestly, Whoever they draft at #9 with Harrison is going to be at least as good as Fields was this year.  So why not punt on having to pay a mediocre QB big bucks when you don't have to.

They won’t be similar though.  It’s likely that only one will be the next Stroud, and they have to pick that guy at #1.  A stud WR still isn’t worth close to what a stud franchise QB is.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Ha, oh man this hoge and jahns with the Seattle beat writer. Basically states all the good things in seattle were because of Pete and the players and all the bad things were Waldron.

Isn't Pete more of a defensive guy? Hard to believe that Pete telling Geno Smith to believe in himself made him a pro bowl QB after achieving nothing in his first 8 seasons. 

Edited by chw42

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Isn't Pete more of a defensive guy? Hard to believe that Pete telling Geno Smith to believe in himself made him a pro bowl QB after achieving nothing in his first 8 seasons. 

Going the route of crediting his teammates here...

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/geno-smith-reveals-seattle-seahawks-success-game-winning-drives

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They won’t be similar though.  It’s likely that only one will be the next Stroud, and they have to pick that guy at #1.  A stud WR still isn’t worth close to what a stud franchise QB is.

While I agree with what you wrote, the rookie year Stroud had is pretty much the outlier. Most rookie QBs who have gone on to be franchise QBs just don't come out of the gate like Stroud did so it's pretty unrealistic to expect any of these QBs of this draft class to play anywhere near what Stroud did, there will be growing pains in the process. Obviously as a Bears fan I'll be hoping the QB they draft as the #1 pick (if they go that route) will have a spectacular year but the odds of that happening aren't all that great.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

While I agree with what you wrote, the rookie year Stroud had is pretty much the outlier. Most rookie QBs who have gone on to be franchise QBs just don't come out of the gate like Stroud did so it's pretty unrealistic to expect any of these QBs of this draft class to play anywhere near what Stroud did, there will be growing pains in the process. Obviously as a Bears fan I'll be hoping the QB they draft as the #1 pick (if they go that route) will have a spectacular year but the odds of that happening aren't all that great.

Teams that have the No. 1 overall pick didn’t usually finish the season with 7 wins either. If they draft Williams, add a WR and/or a good OL, the offense is pretty much ready to compete. This isn’t Bryce Young coming to a Panthers team that had nothing to work with..

• Like 2

"Look at the final four teams," a league source told NBC Sports Chicago. "Elite play-caller, elite-play-caller, elite play-caller, and it's only been one year, but [Baltimore Ravens OC Todd Monken] is right there. Quarterback is obviously the most important thing. Playmakers probably second. But an elite play-caller and scheme are instant elevators. I think after you list off the top [play-callers], most of whom are head coaches, he's right there in the next group."

Poles and Eberflus promised to search high and low for the best offensive coordinator they could find. They wanted a lot of boxes checked. Waldron didn't even seem like a remote possibility until Carroll stepped down.

Waldron isn't perfect and took his fair share of criticism in Seattle. Shanahan and McVay are criticized a ton, and they are the two best in the NFL. It comes with being a play-caller."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/elite-shane-waldron-gives-bears-220456798.html

Fangio leaving dolphins.

HIs two-shell high defense looks dead. His disciples were all ran out as failures: donatell, desai, staley never made it work as well as him. He was always so good at disguising his pressures.

The league moves on. What a defense he created though in 2018. Good enough to win a super bowl if only we made the right choices in 2017.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fangio leaving dolphins.

HIs two-shell high defense looks dead. His disciples were all ran out as failures: donatell, desai, staley never made it work as well as him. He was always so good at disguising his pressures.

The league moves on. What a defense he created though in 2018. Good enough to win a super bowl if only we made the right choices in 2017.

That was a fun year. I remember back then some scout was on TV saying if the Bears had Matt Stafford at QB, they would win the Super Bowl.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:26 PM, caulfield12 said:

"Look at the final four teams," a league source told NBC Sports Chicago. "Elite play-caller, elite-play-caller, elite play-caller, and it's only been one year, but [Baltimore Ravens OC Todd Monken] is right there. Quarterback is obviously the most important thing. Playmakers probably second. But an elite play-caller and scheme are instant elevators. I think after you list off the top [play-callers], most of whom are head coaches, he's right there in the next group."

Poles and Eberflus promised to search high and low for the best offensive coordinator they could find. They wanted a lot of boxes checked. Waldron didn't even seem like a remote possibility until Carroll stepped down.

Waldron isn't perfect and took his fair share of criticism in Seattle. Shanahan and McVay are criticized a ton, and they are the two best in the NFL. It comes with being a play-caller."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/elite-shane-waldron-gives-bears-220456798.html

Well it's a little easier to call plays when you have Amon Ra, CMC, Gibbs, Lamar, Mahomes and so on. The two QBs that aren't elite but just good (Purdy and Goff) are surrounded by elite talent. Detroit has the best offensive line in the league, SF might have the best overall collection of skill players when healthy.

Chicago needs help everywhere. Get a bunch more good players and the coaching will probably sort itself out.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Fangio leaving dolphins.

Hell, had the Bears drafted Mahomes like Mahomes himself though they would, Bears would still be competing for SBs right now.

I firmly believe Mahomes would be a top tier QB if the Bears picked him, he's too talented not to be, but he wouldn't be in the GOAT conversation because I believe Reid is also partly responsible for Mahomes development/success. He just knows how to create explosive offenses, and the Bears have proven to be offensively challenged 😆 Hopefully Waldron changes that with whomever QB he works with.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well it's a little easier to call plays when you have Amon Ra, CMC, Gibbs, Lamar, Mahomes and so on. The two QBs that aren't elite but just good (Purdy and Goff) are surrounded by elite talent. Detroit has the best offensive line in the league, SF might have the best overall collection of skill players when healthy.

Chicago needs help everywhere. Get a bunch more good players and the coaching will probably sort itself out.

Sounds like a perfect prescription for White Sox...too.

Such a bummer that bears didn’t try for Harbaugh. Maybe he fails, but this city would embrace him. He’ll half of Chicago is Michigan fans. Fully believe he’d lead them to a Super Bowl even if the team offense is archaic.