2023-24 NFL Season Thread

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

It sounds unhinged but this guy is such a lifer I wonder if there is any coach he'd consider helping. More likely he goes to an advisory role while he waits out a gig. But I do joke about that moment where Belicheck was so laudatory to Flus after the bears whipped the patriots last year.

This cycle was wild to me. I'm embarrassed to be shocked that Brian Flores got no real traction after what he did in Minnesota this year. I'm pretty amazed Macdonald may end up without an HC role. Vrabel not being immediately snatched upf loors me.

And mainly it's because they are choosey, but considering some of the coaches (1-year OC in Canales, LInebacker coach in Las Vegas, Non-play calling OC in TN, Linebacker coach in NE) it's very surprising.

But also kinda good news for the bears as when I really was tipped over the edge on us not getting a coach was when it was clear vrabel would be available. That guy can coach.

I think Flores will forever have what happened in Miami as an albatross around his neck.  Absolutely wrong, he shouldn’t, but owners are a boys club that you can’t cross

So last year - I was all about the super trade - move down to 2 - than get another haul to move further down.  I actually think of all the places I frequent - a year ago I was one of the first to mention such a thing (than Poles and the NFL media started doing it - and no - not because of me).

This year - I am all about the - Caleb & WR train - but after seeing yesterday's absurd mock but than Balta's more realistic proposals.  I am really all in on the Caleb and MHJ train.  I'd even go further to say - use next pick on best center available - use another pick on a wideout (or FA money) and than while we are kind of ignoring defense in the draft....use our FA money on pass rush and than assess what we do at safety.  

I expect bumps with Caleb (or any rookie QB) - but you hope by 2H of '24 you really see a QB who is elevating his game and showing what he can be.  Clearly best case is he plays like Stroud - but if Caleb does that than next year you still have your assets and should actually still be in a good cap position to than get back to drafting the defensive side as well as potentially making a play at LT.  

31 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So last year - I was all about the super trade - move down to 2 - than get another haul to move further down.  I actually think of all the places I frequent - a year ago I was one of the first to mention such a thing (than Poles and the NFL media started doing it - and no - not because of me).

This year - I am all about the - Caleb & WR train - but after seeing yesterday's absurd mock but than Balta's more realistic proposals.  I am really all in on the Caleb and MHJ train.  I'd even go further to say - use next pick on best center available - use another pick on a wideout (or FA money) and than while we are kind of ignoring defense in the draft....use our FA money on pass rush and than assess what we do at safety.  

I expect bumps with Caleb (or any rookie QB) - but you hope by 2H of '24 you really see a QB who is elevating his game and showing what he can be.  Clearly best case is he plays like Stroud - but if Caleb does that than next year you still have your assets and should actually still be in a good cap position to than get back to drafting the defensive side as well as potentially making a play at LT.  

Look if they can really get #1 and #3 done for Williams and Harrison, while only giving up #9, Fields, and a lower pick or two, you HAVE to do it.  If you are drafting a top QB you have to give him tools and protection.  Giving him a generational wideout is huge.  I would really not be surprised if Harrison is the obvious best pick from this draft 10 years down the road, and not any of the QBs.  Yeah, we also need O linemen, but we have the rest of this draft, as well as a fuckton of cap space, which can be used in free agency and after teams start cutting people.

If you can't pull off the deal for Harrison, it will be interesting to see what happens to the O linemen to see if they run off the board before #9, or if the Bears can pull one of them, or if they look at the other WRs as this is a big time class for wideouts.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if they can really get #1 and #3 done for Williams and Harrison, while only giving up #9, Fields, and a lower pick or two, you HAVE to do it.  If you are drafting a top QB you have to give him tools and protection.  Giving him a generational wideout is huge.  I would really not be surprised if Harrison is the obvious best pick from this draft 10 years down the road, and not any of the QBs.  Yeah, we also need O linemen, but we have the rest of this draft, as well as a fuckton of cap space, which can be used in free agency and after teams start cutting people.

If you can't pull off the deal for Harrison, it will be interesting to see what happens to the O linemen to see if they run off the board before #9, or if the Bears can pull one of them, or if they look at the other WRs as this is a big time class for wideouts.

I'm still not convinced you need an MHJ. 

There are 4 teams left in the playoffs. Let's look at the WR room:

Chiefs: Rasheed Rice (2nd rounder) Mecole Hardman, MVS, Kadarius Toney 

Ravens: Zay Flowers (22nd overall) Rashod Bateman, OBJ (at 31 years old, not prime OBJ)

49ers: Deebo (Basically a RB), Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings 

Lions: Amon-St Brown (4th rounder), Jameson Williams (high first rounder but hasn't produced), Josh Reynolds 

Now, that's not taking in to account a few really good TE's on those roster, but it speaks to the point of not needing a "franchise" WR, especially when you have a 26 year old DJ Moore already on the roster. 

While a WR can certainly make a QB look better, a QB can make mediocre WR look A LOT better on a much more consistent basis. See Green Bay. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm still not convinced you need an MHJ. 

There are 4 teams left in the playoffs. Let's look at the WR room:

Chiefs: Rasheed Rice (2nd rounder) Mecole Hardman, MVS, Kadarius Toney 

Ravens: Zay Flowers (22nd overall) Rashod Bateman, OBJ (at 31 years old, not prime OBJ)

49ers: Deebo (Basically a RB), Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings 

Lions: Amon-St Brown (4th rounder), Jameson Williams (high first rounder but hasn't produced), Josh Reynolds 

Now, that's not taking in to account a few really good TE's on those roster, but it speaks to the point of not needing a "franchise" WR, especially when you have a 26 year old DJ Moore already on the roster. 

While a WR can certainly make a QB look better, a QB can make mediocre WR look A LOT better on a much more consistent basis. See Green Bay. 

I keep thinking of Calvin Johnson, who is probably the best WR ever - he went to 2 playoff games and also suffered through an 0-16 season. Stafford had almost 5K yards in 2012 when Megatron set the WR yardage record and that team went 4-12.

Edited by almagest

10 hours ago, almagest said:

I keep thinking of Calvin Johnson, who is probably the best WR ever - he went to 2 playoff games and also suffered through an 0-16 season. Stafford had almost 5K yards in 2012 when Megatron set the WR yardage record and that team went 4-12.

I agree - it’s why when people say get MHJ and than find qb or ignore that I think they are crazy. With that said - when you have a chance to surround them with more talent you should. 

Mahomes started his career with prime Kelce and Tyreek. Burrows benefited from Tee and Chase. Dak has talent. Hurts has Brown and Smith. 

“If the Chiefs advance to the Super Bowl on Sunday, hold on to your foam fingers. With the possibility of Swift attending the big game on February 11, it becomes a perfect storm of opportunity for CBS to show her throughout the broadcast to presumably their biggest audience of the year. (Swift is scheduled to perform an “Eras Tour” concert in Tokyo on February 10 and has not spoken publicly as to whether or not she plans to attend.)

“There will definitely be discussions at a high level about how that’s going to be handled. If indeed it happens, they’ll figure out what seems to be a reasonable amount of shots,” Jeff Fellenzer, Professor of Professional Practice Sports, Business and Media at USC, told CNN.

CBS did not return CNN’s request for an interview regarding their broadcast plans or strategy for Sunday’s game or the Super Bowl by press time.

What is a sure bet? The game – including Swifties or not – will have eyeballs.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/27/entertainment/taylor-swift-nfl-games/index.html

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bears hiring Eric Washington as Defensive coordinator.  Eberflus will continue to call defensive plays.  He is not a serious head coach

McVay, Shanny, and Reid (for a long time - maybe not now) all call plays. Does that make them not serious? 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“If the Chiefs advance to the Super Bowl on Sunday, hold on to your foam fingers. With the possibility of Swift attending the big game on February 11, it becomes a perfect storm of opportunity for CBS to show her throughout the broadcast to presumably their biggest audience of the year. (Swift is scheduled to perform an “Eras Tour” concert in Tokyo on February 10 and has not spoken publicly as to whether or not she plans to attend.)

“There will definitely be discussions at a high level about how that’s going to be handled. If indeed it happens, they’ll figure out what seems to be a reasonable amount of shots,” Jeff Fellenzer, Professor of Professional Practice Sports, Business and Media at USC, told CNN.

CBS did not return CNN’s request for an interview regarding their broadcast plans or strategy for Sunday’s game or the Super Bowl by press time.

What is a sure bet? The game – including Swifties or not – will have eyeballs.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/27/entertainment/taylor-swift-nfl-games/index.html

Oh man, I can already see the Chiefs getting a game-changing call in the closing seconds to win it. There will be conspiracy theories that the NFL had the fix in to ensure they have the opportunity to play up the Taylor Swift Super Bowl.

Worst part is that I’ll believe it.

14 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Oh man, I can already see the Chiefs getting a game-changing call in the closing seconds to win it. There will be conspiracy theories that the NFL had the fix in to ensure they have the opportunity to play up the Taylor Swift Super Bowl.

Worst part is that I’ll believe it.

11 hours on a private jet to get there?

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

McVay, Shanny, and Reid (for a long time - maybe not now) all call plays. Does that make them not serious? 

No those are three of the best head coaches in the league that have done it successfully.  I watched Flus ignore the offense for two seasons and had his fucking DC go AWOL and now he is back doing what he wants to do, being a DC.  We already knew he could do that, he sucks at making sure the other side of the ball is in order 

also, all three are offensive head coaches and the bears as per usual throw a wish and a prayer that the OC is doing it right 

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No those are three of the best head coaches in the league that have done it successfully.  I watched Flus ignore the offense for two seasons and had his fucking DC go AWOL and now he is back doing what he wants to do, being a DC.  We already knew he could do that, he sucks at making sure the other side of the ball is in order 

also, all three are offensive head coaches and the bears as per usual throw a wish and a prayer that the OC is doing it right 

I don’t know, I don’t really have a huge problem with the situation. He called the defense fairly well after Williams left (which Flus owns that whole situation by the way, not absolving him of that) and there are a bunch of situations around the NFL where a defensive-minded HC has the OC call the offense. Flus seems to have the locker room very firmly planted on his side, and a large part of being a HC in football is leading the room. He needs to figure out how to get these guys ready to START a season and I can’t stand listening to him during press conferences, but if he’s controlling the locker room and he calls a good defense, they could do worse (they could also have done better, but of course won’t spend the money) 

Oh dang so Chiefs will be new Pats where they look vulnerable every reg season now with Mahomes on his contract only to have Spags coddle together a top 5 defense and Mahomes do just enough to win every year. Sweet.

Draft Caleb Williams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sigh.....I hate the Chiefs with every fiber in my being.

Mahomes has a much better personality than Brady...and Andy Reid is a guy who's difficult to dislike like Belichick.

With Taylor Swift mixed in...somehow eems almost inevitable from a marketing standpoint.