2023-24 NFL Season Thread

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t imagine the tears that Cubs fans who are also Bears fans would have about going to game in “the hood”

It'll just be another case of gentrification. 

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So what do we expect the return to be on the Justin Fields trade? A late 1st rounder or early second would be phenomena if possible. 

I think it’s gonna be way better than you expect.  There is big smoke from Atlanta and Pittsburgh 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think it’s gonna be way better than you expect.  There is big smoke from Atlanta and Pittsburgh 

That would be awesome if it happens. Doesn't Atlanta have a top ten pick? That would be the steal of the century. Not sure why they wouldn't just try to trade down though... 

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

That would be awesome if it happens. Doesn't Atlanta have a top ten pick? That would be the steal of the century. Not sure why they wouldn't just try to trade down though... 

it would be super awesome, and yea Atlanta is picking 8 and Steelers are 20.  

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they could figure out to package #9 and Fields to get #3 (Harrison) along with Williams #1, that is the dream.

Would love it but I don’t see New England doing that 

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So what do we expect the return to be on the Justin Fields trade? A late 1st rounder or early second would be phenomena if possible. 

If I had to guess, a 2nd and a 2025 pick based on performance that could be as high as another 2nd, but will most likely be a 3rd or 4th next year. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Both of those teams can sign Russell Wilson for essentially free. I honestly don't see a huge market for Fields. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Both of those teams can sign Russell Wilson for essentially free. I honestly don't see a huge market for Fields. 

I’m not really seeing that as a great alternative lol but sure 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

There’s more of a market for Russell Wilson, though. Even if it is one more team (Raiders) than for Fields. If I’m Poles, I’m not playing the game of waiting for desperation from one of Pittsburgh or Atlanta. Take a 2nd round pick from either team and move on. We aren’t exactly in a good spot here. Especially if everyone in the know, actually knows we are moving on from Fields and drafting a QB. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they could figure out to package #9 and Fields to get #3 (Harrison) along with Williams #1, that is the dream.

That would be but I bet it's a 2 round at best.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

If I had to guess, a 2nd and a 2025 pick based on performance that could be as high as another 2nd, but will most likely be a 3rd or 4th next year. 

Agreed.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Would love it but I don’t see New England doing that 

Is New England likely to take a QB at #3? Because I could definitely see Arizona thinking about moving the #4 pick for the #9 and an extra pick. 

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is New England likely to take a QB at #3? Because I could definitely see Arizona thinking about moving the #4 pick for the #9 and an extra pick. 

Considering their current qb situation I can’t see any reason they would not draft one.  I don’t think Bailey Zappe is the guy and Mac Jones has proven he is better at nut punching than he is at being a QB

arizona supposedly wants Marv really bad 

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Considering their current qb situation I can’t see any reason they would not draft one.  I don’t think Bailey Zappe is the guy and Mac Jones has proven he is better at nut punching than he is at being a QB

arizona supposedly wants Marv really bad 

For my two cents, while I get why you take Caleb Williams #1, if I had to bet on the guy who would most likely be a HOF out of this class, I take Harrison every single time.  He is going to be HUGE.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For my two cents, while I get why you take Caleb Williams #1, if I had to bet on the guy who would most likely be a HOF out of this class, I take Harrison every single time.  He is going to be HUGE.

Even if you guaranteed me that, I’d still lean towards the possibility of drafting QB greatness. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

There’s more of a market for Russell Wilson, though. Even if it is one more team (Raiders) than for Fields. If I’m Poles, I’m not playing the game of waiting for desperation from one of Pittsburgh or Atlanta. Take a 2nd round pick from either team and move on. We aren’t exactly in a good spot here. Especially if everyone in the know, actually knows we are moving on from Fields and drafting a QB. 

If they know they're taking Williams and are getting offered a 2nd for Fields, they really should take that and run. By my count, there are 5 teams that need a new QB: Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, New England, Las Vegas. 

You can probably cross off Vegas from the teams that are interested in Fields. There's no way they think Getsy + Fields will work a 2nd time.

Denver wants to get rid of a QB that has a similar problem to Fields: holding onto the ball for way too long and they're willing to eat a lot of dead money to do it. So they're probably out. They're way more likely to draft McCarthy at 12. 

Pittsburgh is a fit as they do not have a high 1st rounder to draft a high-end QB. But Arthur Smith's history with Tannehill and them already having Pickett could mean that they go the cheap route and sign Tannehill for peanuts to create a QB competition. That's way cheaper than giving up draft picks for Fields. They could also be in the sweepstakes for Russell Wilson. 

Atlanta is another good fit and he'd step into a good situation there. The question is, why wouldn't they just try to get Russell Wilson? Or if New England passes on Jayden Daniels, why not draft him instead of trading for Fields? Sure, it's the 8th pick vs. the 43rd in that situation, but you're also getting someone for 5 years instead of 2. 

New England is a fit, especially if they go for MHJ at 3 instead of Daniels. But in the case they go QB at #3, they'd have no reason to trade for Fields. Even if they go MHJ at 3, they would also be in the Wilson sweepstakes. 

I guess you could argue that of the 4 teams (ATL, PIT, NE, LV) that are probably in on Wilson, 3 will end up being interested in Fields, but 2 of those teams have a top 10 pick and could end up taking a QB. Vegas isn't really an option for Fields. 

Ideally, Vegas gets Wilson. Then you'll have PIT, ATL, and NE possibly chasing after Fields. Only 1 of NE or ATL can draft Daniels. So it's likely one of them still needs a QB. 

Competition for Fields' services will probably depend on what Pittsburgh wants to do. If they end up going cheap and signing Tannehill, there might only be 1 team that will actually want Fields. 

I think they'll get a deal done, I just don't expect a bidding war. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He absolutely is, it seems like he's the closest thing to a sure thing in the last decade, but I keep doing back to what we saw in the playoffs. 

Patrick Mahomes won the SB with quite frankly a very bad offensive unit around him. Now Mahomes is probably going to go down as the GOAT (Thanks again Pace) but Green Bay, Houston...their WR Rooms are nothing to write home about, but the QB's made them way better. 

Get the QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the best solution is that the Bears draft Marvin Harrison as a QB, move Fields to RB and draft one of the LTs as a WR.

But here's what Biggs said:

From my perspective, there is no internal debate in which the Bears are kicking around the idea of keeping Justin Fields versus drafting a quarterback. I believe the work being done is to determine which quarterback they should select. So the whole Fields versus Caleb Williams debate is a pointless exercise.

So...I guess it's more Caleb vs. Maye vs. Daniels. 

I just honestly feel sad for Fields after hearing snippets from the St. Brown podcast. Yeah, it's a business, but he's handled it all with grace.

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If they know they're taking Williams and are getting offered a 2nd for Fields, they really should take that and run. By my count, there are 5 teams that need a new QB: Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, New England, Las Vegas. 

You can probably cross off Vegas from the teams that are interested in Fields. There's no way they think Getsy + Fields will work a 2nd time.

Denver wants to get rid of a QB that has a similar problem to Fields: holding onto the ball for way too long and they're willing to eat a lot of dead money to do it. So they're probably out. They're way more likely to draft McCarthy at 12. 

Pittsburgh is a fit as they do not have a high 1st rounder to draft a high-end QB. But Arthur Smith's history with Tannehill and them already having Pickett could mean that they go the cheap route and sign Tannehill for peanuts to create a QB competition. That's way cheaper than giving up draft picks for Fields. They could also be in the sweepstakes for Russell Wilson. 

Atlanta is another good fit and he'd step into a good situation there. The question is, why wouldn't they just try to get Russell Wilson? Or if New England passes on Jayden Daniels, why not draft him instead of trading for Fields? Sure, it's the 8th pick vs. the 43rd in that situation, but you're also getting someone for 5 years instead of 2. 

New England is a fit, especially if they go for MHJ at 3 instead of Daniels. But in the case they go QB at #3, they'd have no reason to trade for Fields. Even if they go MHJ at 3, they would also be in the Wilson sweepstakes. 

I guess you could argue that of the 4 teams (ATL, PIT, NE, LV) that are probably in on Wilson, 3 will end up being interested in Fields, but 2 of those teams have a top 10 pick and could end up taking a QB. Vegas isn't really an option for Fields. 

Ideally, Vegas gets Wilson. Then you'll have PIT, ATL, and NE possibly chasing after Fields. Only 1 of NE or ATL can draft Daniels. So it's likely one of them still needs a QB. 

Competition for Fields' services will probably depend on what Pittsburgh wants to do. If they end up going cheap and signing Tannehill, there might only be 1 team that will actually want Fields. 

I think they'll get a deal done, I just don't expect a bidding war. 

Great post. This isn’t one of those situations where we can just hold onto Fields if no one gives us what we want. He needs to be traded, preferably before the start of free agency in March. I don’t want us left holding the Fields bag with no one left to trade with. We have more important issues than devoting time to Fields trade value in a limited market. 

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

He absolutely is, it seems like he's the closest thing to a sure thing in the last decade, but I keep doing back to what we saw in the playoffs. 

Patrick Mahomes won the SB with quite frankly a very bad offensive unit around him. Now Mahomes is probably going to go down as the GOAT (Thanks again Pace) but Green Bay, Houston...their WR Rooms are nothing to write home about, but the QB's made them way better. 

Get the QB. 

I have no problem with them taking Caleb #1, I just see his possible outcomes having a MUCH wider variance over how his career could play out versus Harrison.  That's why I love trying to figure out how to get both.