2023-24 NFL Season Thread

Yes, by drafting first the Bears could have the biggest bust in franchise history. It didn't really matter who they picked in that spot. And many people will argue that anyone less than a HoF career is a bust. 

I know I'll watch more games this year than the last ten years. He's already selling tickets. 

On 5/4/2024 at 2:11 PM, Texsox said:

Yes, by drafting first the Bears could have the biggest bust in franchise history. It didn't really matter who they picked in that spot. And many people will argue that anyone less than a HoF career is a bust. 

I know I'll watch more games this year than the last ten years. He's already selling tickets. 

Fortunately for Caleb, the Bears have the lowest threshhold for a QB to not be a bust. If you can be better than Jay Cutler, you've done it.

I'm probably the only one who would have taken Fashanu 9th insted of Odunze. Could have gotten Roman Wilson in the 3rd instead of Amegadjie and I think that's an overall stronger team. I worry that the left side of the O-line is going to be too weak to fully utilize all the weapons the offense has at the skill positions. May have to line Kmet up on the left side and have him help out.

I like that the Bears got Taylor because punter is important, but I wonder if they could have traded down and still gotten him.

• Like 1

lmao Shadeur Sanders would not have been first over Caleb after last years nonsense, and if that “longtime nfl evaluator” really believed that he would put his name on it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

lmao Shadeur Sanders would not have been first over Caleb after last years nonsense, and if that “longtime nfl evaluator” really believed that he would put his name on it

I'd bet the longtime NFL evaluator goes by Prime from time to time 

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I'd bet the longtime NFL evaluator goes by Prime from time to time 

😂 Either that or it rhymes with “Leg Labriel”

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

A "longtime NFL evaluator" had Spencer Ratler as QB1 and Williams as a UDFA.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really hope you don't actually believe this.

I watched his first 4-5 games last year.

Can't say really what he is with all the offensive line issues and chaos last season.

I would have guessed mid to late first round.  He's not nearly as explosive in the open field as a runner compared to Williams or Daniels, for example.  Heck he'd be behind all the first rounders this year with the possible exception of Penix Jr. in that category.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

I watched his first 4-5 games last year.

Can't say really what he is with all the offensive line issues and chaos last season.

I would have guessed mid to late first round.  He's not nearly as explosive in the open field as a runner compared to Williams or Daniels, for example.  Heck'd be behind all the  first rounders this with the possible exception of Penix Jr.

Also the funky throwing motion and arm strength. But his ability to survive and throw some offense out there may pay off for him later.

The most impressive aspect was by and large maintaining his composure better than his father and staff when the entire season was pretty much improving after the hot start.

Hunter getting hurt in the CSU game really stopped their forward momentum.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like at least three other teams were going to pounce on punter Tory Taylor in the 4th round as well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tory-taylor-pick-leaves-teams-230848864.html

"For those that thought that 'Oh my goodness, a punter in the fourth round,'" Hightower started. "Now that the dust has settled, and the text messages have started between special teams coaches and coordinators, Ryan Poles and his staff did a hell of a job with those mock drafts and being on top of all that stuff.

"There was no way he was getting to the fifth round. We got angry coaches on other teams saying 'I can't believe you guys took him' ... in a good way. ... 'We got it wrong and you guys got it right.' So that's cool when you hear your peers say stuff like that. And kudos to Ryan and his staff because he wouldn't have lasted to the backend of the fourth and [he] definitely would've been gone in the fifth. I got that confirmation from three teams already."

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Rome tweaking his hammy stinks. I just worry every time that on offense Bears can’t have a good thing. 

I think of Kevin White and David Terrell as I think the last 2 high profile wide outs they picked and both were giant busts.

There has been a good many detailed breakdowns of the bears during the trubisky / fields failures…

but I paid to read the Go Long feature (a substack by Bob McGinn) and it is by far the most detail rich and understandable. Adds a ton of real info to understand some of the euphemism behind the scenes talk Jahns has to do to keep the org happy.

Highly recommend. Cost me $8 sub.

Richard Hightower, please do not attempt to gaslight us about the “freight train” that is Velus Jones jr.   We have seen that man play.  I’m good

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Richard Hightower, please do not attempt to gaslight us about the “freight train” that is Velus Jones jr.   We have seen that man play.  I’m good

I think these kickoff rules are definitely like making an nfl play just for velus jones. Takes away the worry about muffing, lets him just get the ball with space...not a player we have to worry about injury.

But definitely want someone with a bigger build / tackle breaking capabilities rather than pure speed/pursuit angles like tyler scott.

Would imagine second in line would be running backs. Herbert seems like best next.

On 5/13/2024 at 7:21 AM, Kyyle23 said:

You also have to catch the ball and not muff it before you can “freight train” anywhere.  🤣