Reinsdorf Quotes

Buehrle>Wood

13 minutes ago, almagest said:

At this point all I wish is that Reinsdorf would realize his way doesn't work. Unfortunately, I assume Hahn's complete failure to rebuild is an "I told you so moment" for Reinsdorf.

It won't be.

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Like 2

How long do the sox have left on their tv deal? With the cable fee bubble bursting, maybe there is a chance JR sees the half-assing it model may no longer be sustainable in the near future.
If he were back to relying primarily on in park revenue and merchandising to maintain a profit making operation, maybe he’d demand a better product on the field. Right now he is drawing checks from people who don’t even follow baseball but happen to have a cable subscription, as he himself points out in these quotes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

All I’m saying is I don’t believe he has significant criminal action that will be unearthed when he is gone.  Shrewd and spendthrift owner but not a illegal activity type guy

I would basically agree with this although I'd add he also is sharp and shrewd enough to stretch things right to the absolute limit of the law. Remember he got his professional start working for the IRS. In fact, ironically, one of his first cases was with a guy named Bill Veeck!

4 hours ago, Tony said:

By most accounts and from what I know, I don't think Jerry is a bad guy at all, incredibly loyal, sometimes to a fault, but as you said, he's still 100% with it, still very sharp. He's a very good businessman. Bad owner. 

I guess this is the classic "We Will Agree to Disagree." 

Jerry might still be fairly sharp mentally, but that does not mean he is a good businessman or a nice guy. Maybe if he let one of his sons run the team, just maybe the son could make the team more successful and make more money. Btw, since when do good and smart owners, who are supposedly smart businessmen, have a such a cavalier attitude that they made enough money.

- Since he is a bad businessman, that equates to being a bad owner. Jerry making money might be considered a good practice in a normal corporation and business. However this is a Professional Sports Team and they are judged by wins, losses, playoff appearances and championships 

- I also do not believe he is this nice man as you may think he is. Just read the comments he made and previous comments over the years about the fans and his desire to win. He definitely is an uncaring and arrogant owner. Usually a caring nice owner who really cares...will try to improve the team and not accept the status quo of mediocrity as Jerry has.

- As you said, being too loyal as Jerry has always been to a major fault, is a huge problem that has made the Sox consistently a below average team. Being a good businessman means you make the best decisions for your company...even if it means making hard decisions to get rid of loyal executives who are doing a poor job.

I do not wish poor health or an early death for Reinsdorf, but you can be damn sure, I will be smiling and grinning ear to ear to celebrate the day this nice guy and great businessman passes away and the team is sold.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

How long do the sox have left on their tv deal? With the cable fee bubble bursting, maybe there is a chance JR sees the half-assing it model may no longer be sustainable in the near future.
If he were back to relying primarily on in park revenue and merchandising to maintain a profit making operation, maybe he’d demand a better product on the field. Right now he is drawing checks from people who don’t even follow baseball but happen to have a cable subscription, as he himself points out in these quotes

It expires in the next year or two... only a five year deal...the front office all must have strongly believed they could get a much better deal from the theoretical fruits of this competitive window filled with numerous playoff appearances. 

That blew up in their faces. 

• Like 2

I remember the Score had Sampson on right after that came out, and I am pretty sure Sampson was like “I will go under oath and tell you the same thing” and was not surprised Jerry denied it 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I just read morrissey's story. My fave part: 

"Not all rebuilds work. I’ve been preaching that for years, but it’s hard to get the true believers to look up from their Baseball America Top 50 Draft Prospects articles. Just because the Cubs and the Astros used rebuilds to win World Series titles doesn’t mean every team that launches a rebuild will be holding up a trophy a few years later. Now Sox fans know it. Now Reinsdorf knows it."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I remember the Score had Sampson on right after that came out, and I am pretty sure Sampson was like “I will go under oath and tell you the same thing” and was not surprised Jerry denied it 

Here's the thing, maybe someone can find the actual press release. I don't recall in the release JR categorically denying Sampson's statement. As I recall, and I could be wrong, the press release said he "didn't recall" making that comment.

"Didn't recall" is a lot different from "I didn't say that" or words to that effect.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

I just read morrissey's story. My fave part: 

"Not all rebuilds work. I’ve been preaching that for years, but it’s hard to get the true believers to look up from their Baseball America Top 50 Draft Prospects articles. Just because the Cubs and the Astros used rebuilds to win World Series titles doesn’t mean every team that launches a rebuild will be holding up a trophy a few years later. Now Sox fans know it. Now Reinsdorf knows it."

Seems like the rebuilds that failed were ones led by GMs who were already failing prior. Don't let RIck Hahn, Al Avila be your GM for a rebuild when they showed their ass already.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Seems like the rebuilds that failed were ones led by GMs who were already failing prior. Don't let RIck Hahn, Al Avila be your GM for a rebuild when they showed their ass already.

Personally I still love the “do next to nothing, but sign one guy and then complain about the fans not showing up and having 50 cents to spend” approach that lead to the rebuild attempt and I could see why Greg would find that so appealing

On 5/4/2023 at 10:38 AM, bmags said:

Not all prospects pan out, but that doesn’t mean the process is inherently flawed or wrong.  Selling off your best players, loading your system up, then doing next to nothing to supplement that talent is certainly one way to set your rebuild up to fail.  As is having a GM who can’t scout for s%*# and an owner averse to both high dollar long term contracts and paying good money to sign top amateur talent.  Not all rebuilds are equal, but successful rebuilds aren’t sabotaged internally by incompetent executives failing upwards into positions of power for which they are woefully unqualified. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, The Kids Can Play said:

I guess this is the classic "We Will Agree to Disagree." 

Jerry might still be fairly sharp mentally, but that does not mean he is a good businessman or a nice guy. Maybe if he let one of his sons run the team, just maybe the son could make the team more successful and make more money. Btw, since when do good and smart owners, who are supposedly smart businessmen, have a such a cavalier attitude that they made enough money.

- Since he is a bad businessman, that equates to being a bad owner. Jerry making money might be considered a good practice in a normal corporation and business. However this is a Professional Sports Team and they are judged by wins, losses, playoff appearances and championships 

- I also do not believe he is this nice man as you may think he is. Just read the comments he made and previous comments over the years about the fans and his desire to win. He definitely is an uncaring and arrogant owner. Usually a caring nice owner who really cares...will try to improve the team and not accept the status quo of mediocrity as Jerry has.

- As you said, being too loyal as Jerry has always been to a major fault, is a huge problem that has made the Sox consistently a below average team. Being a good businessman means you make the best decisions for your company...even if it means making hard decisions to get rid of loyal executives who are doing a poor job.

I do not wish poor health or an early death for Reinsdorf, but you can be damn sure, I will be smiling and grinning ear to ear to celebrate the day this nice guy and great businessman passes away and the team is sold.

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Not all prospects pan out, but that doesn’t mean the process is inherently flawed or wrong.  Selling off your best players, loading your system up, then doing next to nothing to supplement that talent is certainly one way to set your rebuild up to fail.  As is having a GM who can’t scout for s%*# and an owner averse to both high dollar long term contracts and paying good money to sign top amateur talent.  Not all rebuilds are equal, but successful rebuilds aren’t sabotaged internally by incompetent executives failing upwards into positions of power for which they are woefully unqualified. 

It is inherently flawed when the person who put the car in the ditch gets to drive the tow truck.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2