Eloy Jimenez has appendix removed, out 4-6 weeks per Grifol

caulfield12

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean, anything that can go wrong eventually will. Right? RIGHT? What's next, a guy comes down with cholera after we play at Oakland...

Naw this team is still one of the healthier ones in baseball. Injuries are up a lot this year League wide.

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean, anything that can go wrong eventually will. Right? RIGHT? What's next, a guy comes down with cholera after we play at Oakland...

Possum attack?  Racist tirade by Duane Kuiper provokes PTSD? 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

If it ruptured they have to do open surgery, which would explain longer recovery time.

If ruptured, he would likely get IV antibiotics for a day or two and observation for complications. With his history, as posters have pointed out, he would also be wearing a football helmet and under piranha/meteor watch.  Hopefully nothing important to him was accidentally removed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Didnt Adam Dunn come back a week after one of these?

Yes and he was atrocious for the rest of that season. That may have been coincidence, maybe not.

It simply just...never...ends for this organization regarding the "core" group and their availability.

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

If it ruptured they have to do open surgery, which would explain longer recovery time.

My wife had an emergency appendectomy when she was a kid when hers burst. She also had to have a part of her large intestine removed. She's struggled with maintaining weight ever since. 

I hope the White Sox have insurance on that contract. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

First and foremost I hope he'll be ok. That being said, this team missed an enormous chance to trade him over the off-season. He actually had a very good second half and it was probably the highest trade value since his rookie season. There's always going to be some freak injury or accident with this guy, just how it is. I said at the beginning of the season, "Is there anyway the quartet of Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert play a combined 500 games?' That answer is hell no and 400 isn't looking great either.

Now I know there is at least one really bad GM in baseball so it's possible someone could get seduced by a BABIP-driven good half of baseball, but most of the competent ones could pretty readily figure out that Eloy wasn't worth much in a trade. We heard last offseason here literally how someone didn't want to involve Eloy in a trade for (#1 prospect in baseball) Francisco Alvarez because Eloy might hit 40+ home runs this year, so for people seduced by that type of potential there's no trade that would make them happy. 

If I were an opposing GM, and a realistic one, what was my evaluation of Eloy last offseason? Eloy Jimenez is an oft-injured player. He hits the ball hard and is very strong, but he hits way too many ground balls, so between his injuries (low PA) and the ground balls he goes through BABIP-driven hot and cold stretches, and he had several of those in 2022. He is terrible defensively and playing the field increases his injury risk, you can play him there for a couple games but he's a DH. Overall, he's a DH who will put up an OPS in the mid-800s over the course of a full year, and he probably won't play a full year. He's due $22.5 million over 23-24, and his options after that are so expensive they are a big risk to pick up even if he stays healthy one of those years. I'd take him back in a trade, but I won't give up too much beyond taking back his contract.

What's my opinion of him after a couple injuries and his performance this year? Eloy Jimenez is an oft-injured player. He hits the ball hard and is very strong, but he hits way too many ground balls, so between his injuries (low PA) and the ground balls he goes through BABIP-driven hot and cold stretches, and he had several of those in 2022. He is terrible defensively and playing the field increases his injury risk, you can play him there for a couple games but he's a DH. Overall, he's a DH who will put up an OPS in the mid-800s over the course of a full year, and he probably won't play a full year. He's due $22.5 million over 23-24, and his options after that are so expensive they are a big risk to pick up even if he stays healthy one of those years. I'd take him back in a trade, but I won't give up too much beyond taking back his contract.

He'll be back in a couple weeks, enough time for him to maybe have a hot or cold streak, but any competent GM can see how those pop out of his approach at the plate naturally. His contract is still movable, you'll get some middling prospect back for him. DHs with mid-.800s OPS numbers and $10 million contracts are usable but not worth a ton in a trade. Nothing about this season has changed that. 

It would be interesting to know how many games over the last 2 years the White Sox have managed to have Eloy, Anderson, Moncada and Robert on the same pitch without one or more being missing injured.

40 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

It would be interesting to know how many games over the last 2 years the White Sox have managed to have Eloy, Anderson, Moncada and Robert on the same pitch without one or more being missing injured.

Anderson, Jimenez, Robert, and Moncada, the centerpieces of the rebuild in the daily lineup, have all played in the same game together just 34 times over the White Sox's last 347 games, since the start of the 2021 season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

It would be equally interesting to know how many teams haven’t had to use a 6th starter all season this year because of their solid health.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It's typical to have an appendix removed???

It's typical that the 'core" group Anderson, Burger, Jimenez, Moncada and Robert simply can not stay healthy for whatever reason or reasons. They aren't trying to get hurt, let's be clear, but the fact is and this has been shown over the past several seasons they simply can not be counted on to play a majority of the season.

The Sox need to admit defeat, move them for whatever they can if possible come July. (And yes I know the front office is incompetent. That's the position the Sox are in...between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's typical that the 'core" group Anderson, Burger, Jimenez, Moncada and Robert simply can not stay healthy for whatever reason or reasons. They aren't trying to get hurt, let's be clear, but the fact is and this has been shown over the past several seasons they simply can not be counted on to play a majority of the season.

The Sox need to admit defeat, move them for whatever they can if possible come July. (And yes I know the front office is incompetent. That's the position the Sox are in...between a rock and a hard place.

Jimenez and Moncada have pretty much been written off. 

That only leaves Vaughn Robert Cease and maybe Kopech.  TA7 Hendriks and Giolito are living on borrowed time. 

No different than 2016... except the value of talent is roughly 1/3rd or most optimistically 1/2 what it was with Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu/(Tatis).

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Anderson, Jimenez, Robert, and Moncada, the centerpieces of the rebuild in the daily lineup, have all played in the same game together just 34 times over the White Sox's last 347 games, since the start of the 2021 season

That is shocking! So in only 10% of games the 'core' of the rebuild have played together. That stat on its own goes a long way to explaining why this rebuild has been a bust, and you then factor in the impact all those injuries have on consistency. The fact that any replacements for them are bad due to Hahn's squad building skills and you get the White Sox team we have had to suffer!

• Like 2