Trading One Year Assets is Inevitable. Maybe even 2-yr

SouthSideGeorgia

36 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

I have no idea why they wouldn't consider trading Cease. 2024-25 ain't happening. 

I understand not trading Kopech until he proves he can start, which may never happen. 

Trading Cease right now might be too big of a waiving of the white flag for them.  Keeping up appearances and all.  They absolutely should burn it to the ground, but until proven otherwise, I believe they will pursue the stupidest possible route.

I personally wouldn't mind if they waited until someone else is making the decisions before they trade their first or second most valuable piece.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

You don't trade Cease unless you are tearing it down to the studs.

I have a hard time believing that they tear it all the way down again. Not in this division.

Robert would need to go as well unless we want to be the Angels and have a mediocre team built around one superstar player with nothing to show for it.

Poor Mike Trout, one playoff appearance and no playoff wins. He has three MVP's and two of them have come from last place finishing teams.

Robert is so valuable that it's hard to see the White Sox getting anyone to offer a fair return for him. 4.5 years of control for an all star is just nuts.

Personally, I think the only real solution to getting out of the hole the White Sox are in is to tear it down at least to the Cease level, because their system is so weak that they cannot replace the pieces (G) that they are losing to FA. The only way they're going to make a dent in the next 2 years is to make use of assets like Cease to fill holes. 

But, I doubt the White Sox will do anything other than play for 2nd place in a weak central division. Hell, I'll be surprised if they actually move anyone, since doing so is the right decision.

• Like 3

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Robert is so valuable that it's hard to see the White Sox getting anyone to offer a fair return for him. 4.5 years of control for an all star is just nuts.

Personally, I think the only real solution to getting out of the hole the White Sox are in is to tear it down at least to the Cease level, because their system is so weak that they cannot replace the pieces (G) that they are losing to FA. The only way they're going to make a dent in the next 2 years is to make use of assets like Cease to fill holes. 

But, I doubt the White Sox will do anything other than play for 2nd place in a weak central division. Hell, I'll be surprised if they actually move anyone, since doing so is the right decision.

Very fair point. It would be difficult to properly get the return on him that it would deserve.

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Why wouldn't the White Sox pickup Liams option?. He has been one of the best relief pitchers in MLB the last few years. Not having him in the bullpen this year has really hurt the bullpen and the team  this year. The team would have had more wins if he would have pitched this year.

Because who needs a good closer when you aren't going to have many late leads in the 2024 season. 

On 7/5/2023 at 10:44 AM, zisk said:

Gio pitched well last night. I'm gonna miss that guy. Even though he'll only be a 2-3 month rental, he should bring a solid 

return. 

I will miss him too and will wish him the best of luck. 

It's really sad this Hahn rebuild has been such a huge debacle. Gio was suppose to be one of the many key players brought in during the original rebuild, as part of the Adam Eaton trade.

What the Sox fans and the Sox clubhouse and dugout culture will miss dearly...is a real upbeat, intense and positive teammate that brought a ton of fire and excitement to this team. 

I hope Gio kicks butt at his next team in 2024. Then once again we'll have another documented example of a former Sox player going somewhere else and thriving even better. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

17 hours ago, spiderman said:

Is there a return for Hendriks right now? I would be surprised if he had much value with his health status. I think the White Sox won't pick up his option though if there's any concern on his health (which seems likely to continue being a concern).

He can't have any value right now given his medical situation. White Sox will probably keep him and decline his option in the off-season. Maybe they work out a new deal where he can return next season, but I think the White Sox are more likely to move on.

31 minutes ago, spiderman said:

He can't have any value right now given his medical situation. White Sox will probably keep him and decline his option in the off-season. Maybe they work out a new deal where he can return next season, but I think the White Sox are more likely to move on.

Also let's not forget he's in his mid 30's now. He's no spring chicken. 

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Also let's not forget he's in his mid 30's now. He's no spring chicken. 

Yep, if he was healthy and no medical concerns, I'd bring him back on the option. This team has too many holes to address though so I think the only path forward is a new deal that is more team friendly. It's possible that they could work it out because other teams will have the same concerns.

Assuming no rebuild and more of a light shuffling of upcoming free agents, the White Sox will probably have some money to spend (if they choose too) in free agency by moving on from Lynn, Clevinger, Hendriks, Grandall and a few relievers. Some of that money will go into raises, but there should be some left over to add a few pieces, but this team has no history of spending on bigger names and would probably keep it to more bargain shopping.

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

His Sox career has been a debacle

It's funny looking at his stats the Sox signed him coming off a career year (for a reliever of all types...) and he immediately pretty much reverted to his career stats (mediocre and certainly not worth paying for his projected age 35 and 36 seasons) with the expected dropoff from aging.

LA got two decent seasons out of him and one really good one, while he was still in his prime, then dumped him at the perfect time while the Sox probably thought they were getting a steal.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's funny looking at his stats the Sox signed him coming off a career year (for a reliever of all types...) and he immediately pretty much reverted to his career stats (mediocre and certainly not worth paying for his projected age 35 and 36 seasons) with the expected dropoff from aging.

LA got two decent seasons out of him and one really good one, while he was still in his prime, then dumped him at the perfect time while the Sox probably thought they were getting a steal.

Tony LaRussa literally said “you’re going to love Joe Kelly”.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tony LaRussa literally said “you’re going to love Joe Kelly”.

It hurts that Kelly hasn't been good, because he is super likable.

I mean his mariachi jacket is 1) dope 2) has a cool origin story

Joe-Kelly-df7887abc3ce4588b1f21372924de0

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

Of course there is a return for Hendriks. It just depends what people consider a return.

Teams are not going to be trying to trade for a player, coming off a recovery from cancer and now with some sort of elbow issue. If he were to come back and look like himself, maybe there's some interest, but it would still be limited. Bottom line - he hasn't pitched much, makes pretty good money and has major health concerns. There is no current market for a player like that, no matter how much we respect him.

Edited by spiderman

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

To me he's one of those guys whose act is great when they are performing in the field but becomes insufferable when they aren't. he's currently in the latter category.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, Quin said:

he was one of my favorite players in baseball just as a fan follow. But in 10 years I probably won't even remember he was on our team nor will the rest of the league. Add him to the list of forgettable stops on this unbearably boring team.

41 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Teams are not going to be trying to trade for a player, coming off a recovery from cancer and now with some sort of elbow issue. If he were to come back and look like himself, maybe there's some interest, but it would still be limited. Bottom line - he hasn't pitched much, makes pretty good money and has major health concerns. There is no current market for a player like that, no matter how much we respect him.

Of course they will. Sox literally traded a guy who was on  injured list at the time and didn't even play for rest of season to a contender looking for a reliever. 

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

Of course they will. Sox literally traded a guy who was on  injured list at the time and didn't even play for rest of season to a contender looking for a reliever. 

Yes, of course. Teams chasing a playoff spot routinely take on pitchers who haven't pitched basically all year, have questions about durability post chemotherapy and has an elbow injury....all while making $15M (est) a season.

Yes, of course!🤣

20 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Yes, of course. Teams chasing a playoff spot routinely take on pitchers who haven't pitched basically all year, have questions about durability post chemotherapy and has an elbow injury....all while making $15M (est) a season.

Yes, of course!🤣

Ah yes, a sample size of one.