Trading One Year Assets is Inevitable. Maybe even 2-yr

SouthSideGeorgia

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How would people feel about these hypothetical trades?

I want Rushing as the main piece from LAD.

I wouldn't trade with TB because anyone they agree to part with will turn to s%*#, although to be fair we have a Ph.D in fucking up a young players development on our own, even without Tampa trying to sabotage us. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes to all of them. Although I’m at a point where I’m basically in favor of any trade. Churn the hell out of this roster please.

Bonus points because these trades involve prospects I’ve heard of.

Extra bonus points because you’re trading with three orgs that are great at developing players, so maybe they’re far enough along where the Sox can’t screw them up too much.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

Trades are generally meh to me. I am low man on Ortiz. He’s included cuz everyone knows Baltimore would give him up. He’s like 4th in line for both of their middle infield slots behind at least Henderson, Holliday, and Westburg. I am not convinced he’s better than Prieto. Also, Pepiot is hurt. If you can’t get Rushing, I’d look at the Dodgers AA rotation. Try to get a couple of those guys.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I wouldn't trade with TB because anyone they agree to part with will turn to s%*#, although to be fair we have a Ph.D in fucking up a young players development on our own, even without Tampa trying to sabotage us. 

Kinda like when the Rays traded Joe Ryan for 2 months of 40 YO Nelson Cruz?  If the Sox made that trade, this fanbase would be crucifying the FO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sox need to target close to MLB SP for Giolito. MI prospects are the one thing they have a tiny bit of depth in.

Highly doubt Cease and TA get moved so the other deals don’t make much  sense - If you’re moving Cease tho, gonna need different package than that. Williams a nice prospect but another MI, and last thing Sox need is more 1B. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kinda like when the Rays traded Joe Ryan for 2 months of 40 YO Nelson Cruz?  If the Sox made that trade, this fanbase would be crucifying the FO. 

Because the White Sox problem with trades like that is they can’t replace guys!

The Rays traded away Joe Ryan and he became a solid player. Are the Rays starved for starting pitching right now? Their starters have the 4th best WAR and 2nd best ERA in baseball. They can make trades they lose because they can replace guys.

The White Sox traded Madrigal. He’s not anything special, but could the white Sox replace him? They’ve spent $20 million on Andrus and Garcia and rushed Sosa and Rodriguez up from AA to try to fill that hole since, and something tells me they’re not at the top of baseball in 2b production.

The White Sox traded Dunning and y’all got to brag because Rick Hahn got a good player back. Have they replaced him? The Sox are so starved for affordable starting pitching that Toussaint is pitching today. Had they developed Crochet and Kopech into solid starters and found another one in 2019 or 2020 this wouldn’t matter, but the fact that they can’t develop anyone creates giant holes.

They traded Narvaez for Colome. Colome was fine, but they had no catchers so they spent $70 million on Grandal, on top of Colome’s price. This is how it cascades - they can’t develop anyone, so when they trade guys away they have to find free agents to replace them, but they run out of money after just a handful of signings so they wind up hunting from the trash heap.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The Rays traded away Joe Ryan and he became a solid player. Are the Rays starved for starting pitching right now? Their starters have the 4th best WAR and 2nd best ERA in baseball. They can make trades they lose because they can replace guys.

The White Sox traded Madrigal. He’s not anything special, but could the white Sox replace him? They’ve spent $20 million on Andrus and Garcia and rushed Sosa and Rodriguez up from AA to try to fill that hole since, and something tells me they’re not at the top of baseball in 2b production.

The White Sox traded Dunning and y’all got to brag because Rick Hahn got a good player back. Have they replaced him? The Sox are so starved for affordable starting pitching that Toussaint is pitching today. Had they developed Crochet and Kopech into solid starters and found another one in 2019 or 2020 this wouldn’t matter, but the fact that they can’t develop anyone creates giant holes.

They traded Narvaez for Colome. Colome was fine, but they had no catchers so they spent $70 million on Grandal, on top of Colome’s price. This is how it cascades - they can’t develop anyone, so when they trade guys away they have to find free agents to replace them, but they run out of money after just a handful of signings so they wind up hunting from the trash heap.

Truth.

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Not to mention the Cesar Hernandez debacle at second base...where it almost seemed he was sent to intentionally sabotage the team.

• Fire 1

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You missed the point. The response was saying that the Rays still trade guys who can become good MLB players.

Edit: right @ChiSox59?

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, SoCalChiSox said:

My thoughts exactly. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You missed the point. The response was saying that the Rays still trade guys who can become good MLB players.

Except he had to throw in the point about how unfair the White Sox fan base is to their excellent GM because we bring up old trades that hurt us years later. Yes we do! Because we suck right now and things that hurt us for years caused that!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Right. The guy I quoted was basically saying Rays only trade garbage and don’t make mistakes. They made an enormous mistake with Joe Ryan. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Except he had to throw in the point about how unfair the White Sox fan base is to their excellent GM because we bring up old trades that hurt us years later. Yes we do! Because we suck right now and things that hurt us for years caused that!

Rick Hahn deserves to lose his job. I said nothing to the contrary. Just pointing out the the Rays do in fact make mistakes, and giving away major league ready Joe Ryan for 200 PA from Nelson Cruz is one of the worst trades in the last few seasons. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rick Hahn deserves to lose his job. I said nothing to the contrary. Just pointing out the the Rays do in fact make mistakes, and giving away major league ready Joe Ryan for 200 PA from Nelson Cruz is one of the worst trades in the last few seasons. 

So you take back your complaint about the White Sox fanbase?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, I will be sure to run my complaints through Balta1701 moving forward. 

White Sox fans complain about Rick Hahn’s trades too much is the kind of take that probably could use an editor’s approval.

This is a promising sign.  Lynn has been really good in three of his last four starts.  Hold to your price for now and hope he can give you three strong starts to close out July.  If not, you should be able to dump the majority of his contract, but would be great to extract something of value.

Also, from Bob’s column:

GMs believe the top available starters at the trade deadline will be: 

• Marcus Stroman, Cubs 
  • Lucas Giolito, White Sox 
  • James Paxton, Red Sox 
  • Jordan Montgomery, Cardinals 
  • Jack Flaherty, Cardinals 
  • Lance Lynn, White Sox 
  • Eduardo Rodriguez, Tigers 
  • Michael Lorenzen, Tigers 
  • Paul Blackburn, Athletics 

Also, from Bob on Lance Lynn:

Just recently on the White Sox Talk Podcast, Nightengale commented on Lynn by saying he’s heard that other MLB general managers “love” the starter, believing he would be a different pitcher on a different team.

“I know he hasn’t, you know, he doesn’t have a good ERA,” said Nightengale. “Hasn’t performed well. But they think – get him out of Chicago, get him in our hands, pitch lights out.”