Romy successful due to new light-hearted approach

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/romy-gonzalez-homers-for-third-straight-game-in-white-sox-win#:~:text=Romy's hot hitting thanks to lighthearted approach,-Second baseman goes&text=I'm going to have,t say exactly those words.

Seems that Burger, Sheets and now Romy seem to be pretty tight friends now…along with Vaughn and Montgomery, that might be your rebuild starting INF.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/romy-gonzalez-homers-for-third-straight-game-in-white-sox-win#:~:text=Romy's hot hitting thanks to lighthearted approach,-Second baseman goes&text=I'm going to have,t say exactly those words.

Seems that Burger, Sheets and now Romy seem to be pretty tight friends now…along with Vaughn and Montgomery, that might be your rebuild starting INF.

Who is Montgomery?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Andrus is almost ready so I figured Romy was headed to Charlotte. Not now. Elvis or Hanser are soon to be DFA'd.

I think Hanser. Like it or not I feel Andrus has more value to the team than hanser

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I think Hanser. Like it or not I feel Andrus has more value to the team than hanser

Who is SS in the event of a Tim Anderson trade? 

Has to be Andrus until the offseason. 

Unless they acquire another middle infield prospect during the upcoming trade season. 

I guess they might try Sosa... but he seems more ideally suited for 2B. 

Edited by caulfield12

48 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I think Hanser sticks around. He seems to be Grifol's "guy", seems every manager gets a utility guy they stick with through all of the odds.

Hanser should be the one to go, but I don't think it's that cut and dry in this situation.

• TLR 1

It's great to see Romy doing so well. I think it can be attributed to the fact he he has been allowed to play almost daily. Romy has played in 10 of the last 11 games

Back on 5-19, Romy's BA was .132. He is now at .224.

During this 10 game stretch he has produced, 10-29, 3 2B, 3 HR, .345/.367/.759/1.125.

It is really hard in baseball to be a good hitter playing part time. I sure hope he can continue to produce, because if so, just maybe we have solved the problem with second base. I'll hope for that, but not counting on it.

The good news is, Romy comes dirt cheap and is only 26 years old, with several years of pre-arbitration left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

It's great to see Romy doing so well. I think it can be attributed to the fact he he has been allowed to play almost daily. Romy has played in 10 of the last 11 games

Back on 5-19, Romy's BA was .132. He is now at .224.

During this 10 game stretch he has produced, 10-29, 3 2B, 3 HR, .345/.367/.759/1.125.

It is really hard in baseball to be a good hitter playing part time. I sure hope he can continue to produce, because if so, just maybe we have solved the problem with second base. I'll hope for that, but not counting on it.

The good news is, Romy comes dirt cheap and is only 26 years old, with several years of pre-arbitration left.

Yep, make him the regular at 2B going forward. Should be easy to do when the alternatives are Hanser and Elvis.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I think Hanser sticks around. He seems to be Grifol's "guy", seems every manager gets a utility guy they stick with through all of the odds.

Hanser should be the one to go, but I don't think it's that cut and dry in this situation.

I think they are paying Elvis $3M so I do not see him being released in spite of not achieving his last year performance. Romy is likely to stay. As I recall Hanser has a low ops against RHP and Sox do not see a lot of lefties these days. I thought Elvis would click but I also had the impression he is more a warm-weather guy. 

16 minutes ago, pcq said:

I think they are paying Elvis $3M so I do not see him being released in spite of not achieving his last year performance. Romy is likely to stay. As I recall Hanser has a low ops against RHP and Sox do not see a lot of lefties these days. I thought Elvis would click but I also had the impression he is more a warm-weather guy. 

Elvis can field baseballs, Hanser cannot. Can insert Elvis to close close ballgames. This should be an easy call.

Sox positive fWAR defenders 2023 YTD:

• 5.0 Zavala
  • 4.1 Robert
  • 3.1 Sosa (AAA)
  • 1.8 Moncada
  • 0.8 Andrus

• Like 2

the league will adjust to Romy and find out what pitches he struggles with, that's when we will know if he's gonna stick around or not

although to be fair, the league has adjusted to pretty much 90% of our position players and they've yet to adjust and they still have jobs so 😕

• Love 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless they acquire another middle infield prospect during the upcoming trade season. 

Sosa. No reason to play a vet if you’ve gone full rebuild.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not something you should be worrying about. Doubtful they trade him at the deadline, his value is down down down.

Once Tim became a rock star he screwed up his life and he couldn't handle it. Once you start marketing yourself and think you are better than you are ,your ego runs amok. That's what happened to those who don't know how to handle fame or listen to bad advise from people sponging off you.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

23 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sosa. No reason to play a vet if you’ve gone full rebuild.

They aren't going to go full rebuild. They still think they are in a window of contention. JR didnt want to do a rebuild in the 1st place. They will do what they always do once the return to mediocrity is official, make bad trades,sign mediocre FA's, operate key portions of the infrastruture on a small budget and reward the incompetence with loyalty jobs which allows Jerry to put the money in a bigger than small market payrolls but without the infrastructure to make sound decisions on FA, drafting and developing either internationally or nationally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It would be nice to see some consistency from any of our players. Other than Yaz it seems we have guys that are subject to prolonged slumps.

Funny you mentioned Yaz because when I wrote my post I was going over the guys in the lineup and Yaz was the only one I could think of also who has been fairly consistent without looking it up . Trouble is it's not consistently good since it's only made him a league average catcher.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Funny you mentioned Yaz because when I wrote my post I was going over the guys in the lineup and Yaz was the only one I could think of also who has been fairly consistent without looking it up . Trouble is it's not consistently good since it's only made him a league average catcher.

Funny thing is Yaz has a history of getting in some horrific slumps. Then getting unbelievably hot.

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny thing is Yaz has a history of getting in some horrific slumps. Then getting unbelievably hot.

That works in 3, 4, and 5 WAR seasons and playing and mostly catching 120+ games per year. But outside of 2021, his 3.6 fWAr year, he hasn't been that player for the Sox and hasn't yet played in 100 games.

This year we haven't seen the highs and lows, just him hitting for a higher average than he normally does but not the slugging and walks he used to have.