Ohtani

WBWSF

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

A) The names Albert Belle and Shohei Ohtani shouldn’t be uttered in the same sentence. 

B) Even if the White Sox made a legit offer that didn’t get them laughed out of the conference room, why the f*** would Ohtani come to this wreck of a franchise?

This. I really do believe he wants to go to a franchise that is ready to win, and is dedicated to winning. It's part of the reason it seems like LAA isn't going to keep him. I really believe if the Sox were the highest bidder, and not something like 100 million+ over the highest bidder, Ohtani would pick Option 2 over the Sox. 

If you signed Ohtani, kept Giolito as well...I STILL don't think this team is very good. That's how far off they are. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

This. I really do believe he wants to go to a franchise that is ready to win, and is dedicated to winning. It's part of the reason it seems like LAA isn't going to keep him. I really believe if the Sox were the highest bidder, and not something like 100 million+ over the highest bidder, Ohtani would pick Option 2 over the Sox. 

If you signed Ohtani, kept Giolito as well...I STILL don't think this team is very good. That's how far off they are. 

Yup.  It would take a Cohen like new owner to completely transform how this entire franchise operates before a marquee FA ever considered coming here.  Ohtani + this current team isn’t winning anything, and why would he burn more of his prime waiting for the roster to be good enough when he just left the same situation?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quin said:

They offer:

• $600 million
  • A unique Ohtani-themed home run celebration feature
  • Re-theme the FUNdamentals deck to "Ohanti's SHO-Time Theater for Kids"
  • Dedicated Japanese broadcast
  • A live orchestra performs his walk-up music.

They already have #4 whether he wants it or not. 

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

That's almost spending as much as the Padres did on Machado Tatis and Bogaerts to get Ohtani and Giolito. 

That's even crazier, actually, with the volatility of pitchers with one TJS behind them and then the added risk of pitching well into their 30s. 

47 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yup.  It would take a Cohen like new owner to completely transform how this entire franchise operates before a marquee FA ever considered coming here.  Ohtani + this current team isn’t winning anything, and why would he burn more of his prime waiting for the roster to be good enough when he just left the same situation?

I think Harper or Machado would have come here in they beat everyone else in offers. Money wins out 9/10. I think Ohtani is a little different, I think he really wants to go to a winner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

It would be a lot like when the Rangers offered ARod that massive deal. 

No way in hell the Sox could build a team around him. 

And Sox fans would quickly grow weary of supporting a team with just one or two superstars. 

The novelty would wear off quickly and then all the talk would turn to potential trades...same issues the much better financed Angels have been dealing with for 2-3 years now. 

They actually have a GENUINELY tough call deciding what to do in LAA land compared to any decision tree/matrix that Hahn faces. 

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think Harper or Machado would have come here in they beat everyone else in offers. Money wins out 9/10. I think Ohtani is a little different, I think he really wants to go to a winner. 

Before the rebuild flopped and the FO/org proved to be completely incompetent, I agree Harper or Machado come here if the money were right.  This org is it’s current state, this putrid festering wreck with zero hope or direction, I just don’t see anyone coming unless the offer blows every other out of the water.  

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Wonder if the CBA allows a player to be compensated in part or whole with ownership shares in a team (either discounted or awarded in full).

I don't believe any active player can own any type of percentage in a team. When they retire, of course, that's different.

• Thanks 1