Upcoming Week - Chance to get within 2-3 GB of the Twins

South Side Hit Men

Both teams on the road next week, Minnesota traveling to Atlanta (.649) and Baltimore (.618) for six games in which they may only win 1 or 2.

Meanwhile the Sox look to have a solid chance of winning 4 or 5, and an outside chance at winning 6.

Realistic best case scenario: Sox 5-2 Twins 1-5 = Minnesota 41-44 & Chicago 39-47 2 1/2 GB

Crazy best case scenario: Sox 6-1 Twins 0-6 = Minnesota 40-45 & Chicago 40-46 1/2 GB

Anaheim

• RHP Dylan Cease (3-3 4.22) vs. LHP Reid Detmers (1-5 4.02): Chatham native Reid's first start against the White Sox, hoping the Sox can pounce the LHS.
  • RHP Michael Kopech (3-6 4.06) vs. RHP Shohei Ohtani (6-3 3.13): Shohei's chance to impress White Sox brass for his upcoming Free Agency. All kidding aside, Sox need to be patient and extend pitch counts to hopefully get at their bullpen. Touki will likely be the pairing after 4-5 innings.
  • RHP Lucas Giolito (5-5 3.41) vs. RHP Jamie Barria (2-2 2.14). This is a winnable game with Lucas on the mound. Barria pitched the Sox tough in May, but again working counts and getting to the bullpen a key to this one. 
  • RHP Lance Lynn (4-8 6.40) vs. LHP Patrick Sandoval (4-6 4.16). Lynn pitched awful in his May start, but looks to have turning things around this month. The Sox are 2-0 vs. Patrick, hoping success against LH starters continue to close out the series.

Oakland

• Friday LHP Tanner Banks (0-2 4.50) & RHP Jesse Scholtens (1-2 2.31); Saturday RHP Dylan Cease & Sunday Michael Kopech: 3-0 needs to be the target, 2-1 worst case scenario, for the Sox to return home within a few games of first place in the American League Central. Oakland has gone 1-9 in their last 10 games, and hopefully are spent after their mini June rally around the boycott game.

Let's Do This!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

You’re......you’re doing that thing again to yourself....having hope.

What really matters is what the players feel. They can come out of this series with confidence and keep building series wins and a solid stretch leading to the All Star Break. 

They need to keep winning through their toughest slate of the season, three each at Atlanta, New York Mets and Minnesota after the All Star Break. 

A sell off / White Flag 2.0 would crater long term fan support and any remaining cohesiveness in that clubhouse if they are in first or within a couple games of first, especially with their soft schedule the final several weeks of the season.

"Keep Hope Alive" and "Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up". Win it for and with Liam!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

Does anyone know if there are tickets still available for those games in Oakland??

I realize this is rhetorical, but I've been to at least five MLB stadiums worse than the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

1. Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome
  2. Saint Petersburg Field
  3. Veterans Stadium (saw actual rats running around during my lone game there).
  4. Sky Dome - f*** domes.
  5. Joe Robbie Stadium - An absolute debacle for baseball.

15 minutes ago, restinpiss said:

He’s definitely not from Chatham

OK, he was born in Mokomis, not sure where his house was at birth. Detmers' family moved to Chatham, Illinois, after his mother started a new job and he transferred to Glenwood High School for his senior year.

I was born in Park Ridge, but was brought home the following day to Chicago where I live to this day and likely my dying breath unless I'm on vacation.

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What really matters is what the players feel. They can come out of this series with confidence and keep building series wins and a solid stretch leading to the All Star Break. 

They need to keep winning through their toughest slate of the season, three each at Atlanta, New York Mets and Minnesota after the All Star Break. 

A sell off / White Flag 2.0 would crater long term fan support and any remaining cohesiveness in that clubhouse if they are in first or within a couple games of first, especially with their soft schedule the final several weeks of the season.

"Keep Hope Alive" and "Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up". Win it for and with Liam!

Animated GIF

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'm rooting for them to stay in the division hunt because Rick Hahn should absolutely not be allowed to be trading any pieces off the roster.

Hahn and KW are stealth geniuses... responsible for 3 of Top 12 fWAR's in the game. 

Unfortunately, only Robert for the White Sox. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'm rooting for them to stay in the division hunt because Rick Hahn should absolutely not be allowed to be trading any pieces off the roster.

Man, I'd certainly hate to lose the chance to get a long term rotation piece in exchange for 12 or so Giolito starts.  

Also, should be able to get something interesting for Middleton, and perhaps Reylo.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, I'd certainly hate to lose the chance to get a long term rotation piece in exchange for 12 or so Giolito starts.  

Also, should be able to get something interesting for Middleton, and perhaps Reylo.  

Yea problem is most of anything you get won't be of immediate help and anything you trade is likely from the 26 so if you trade you are likely getting worse and out of the division race. Pitching right now is the only thing keeping them playing .500 the past 2 months. Take that away and they go from treading water to sinking fast .

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea problem is most of anything you get won't be of immediate help and anything you trade is likely from the 26 so if you trade you are likely getting worse and out of the division race. Pitching right now is the only thing keeping them playing .500 the past 2 months. Take that away and they go from treading water to sinking fast .

I am not overly concerned about 2023.  Of course I want to win the division, but it seems more unlikely by the day, even if they keep this group together.  In the unlikely they do win the division, this is not a team that is likely to advance.  I wouldn't trade Gio for just anything (at this point, anyway) - but if you can get a backend top 100 prospect (or close), ideally a SP, you certainly have to consider it.  

I think Gio will be in high demand.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don’t see that as a problem. Not getting anything for players with actual trade value like Gio would be a massive fail in my book.

36 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I don’t see that as a problem. Not getting anything for players with actual trade value like Gio would be a massive fail in my book.

If Jerry still thinsks he can get some playoff revenue, you might not see as many guys traded as you might think. Massive fail is right up the Sox alley.

AL Central Teams Vs AL Central Teams

Twins - 15-12

White Sox - 15-11

Tigers - 15-11

Guardians - 8-11

Royals - 6-14

AL Central Teams Vs Everyone Else

Twins - 25-27

White Sox - 19-34

Tigers - 18-32

Guardians - 29-29

Royals - 16-42

Whoever wins this division is going to get swiftly booted from the playoffs anyways.

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

AL Central Teams Vs AL Central Teams

Twins - 15-12

White Sox - 15-11

AL Central Teams Vs Everyone Else

Twins - 25-27

White Sox - 19-34

Whoever wins this division is going to get swiftly booted from the playoffs anyways.

Lone reason for slight optimism based on the upcoming two week schedule, and their series against the Yankees and Boston (4-2).

Would say Pedro’s moves especially late game has improved in terms of utilizing the entire bench and knowing who he can trust in the bullpen and especially the 9th with Liam out again (Graveman and Middleton).

People were saying Tony needed a full year plus to learn the roster that he had a large role in assembling. Would be fair to give Pedro through Memorial Day at minimum.