Sox Draft 2023

SoxFest23

9 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Knowing there are health issues, which we are not privy to, maybe this pick is a back-up plan for SS. Then again, if both make it to the majors. that's a nice problem to have. Plus one of them could bring a nice return of talent in a trade. 

The great thing about drafting SS is that most, if they can play SS, can play anywhere except P and C. Although, a guy like TA, would be a good C.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hawk 1

12 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Just leave his swing alone please......

Big time dead pull guy, but that is fine. We can hope and wish that they don't tinker with his swing, but unfortunately, we know the organization too well...

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

15. Chicago White Sox — Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi

• Grade: A

Another player like Shaw and Teel where, regardless of spot, his selection would  receive an A. Gonzalez had been talked about as a potential top-five pick before sliding all the way to No. 15. He has a well-rounded profile, with a bat that will hit for average and power and the ability to stay at shortstop. He might not have any tools that jump off the page, but he also has no major flaws, making him a very safe prospect here.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-draft-grades-2023-live-picks-results/a6nkkz2hshjegc3hg23rkefb

I been watching a ton of video on Gonzalez and I don't see why some here are so negative on the pick. I've seen several videos showing his range and arm strength at short. IMO, it's impressive. Plus I don't give s%*# on his swing that many seem to criticize. I'm sorry, but the exit velocity on his hits and home runs is major league level. 

In the worst case scenario, if the Sox were to switch him to 2B with Montgomery at SS, how great would that be to have a 2B with power and BA with a good glove. When is the last time we ever had that type of 2B in a Sox uniform?

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Big time dead pull guy, but that is fine. We can hope and wish that they don't tinker with his swing, but unfortunately, we know the organization too well...

I am always jealous when I watch dead pull lefties come into the Cell and rake homers to RF.  It feels like....forever...since we've had one of those. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That's fine with me, because we haven't had a 2B in how many years now! LOL

Yeah, I mean if he shifts to 2nd...if you have a LH 50-55 hit and power 2B with solid D that would be fine and playing at the rate his HR totals should be OK with his pull tendencies. Maybe high teens? 

IMO, between him and Montgomery one of them hopefully should stick at SS.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am always jealous when I watch dead pull lefties come into the Cell and rake homers to RF.  It feels like....forever...since we've had one of those. 

I expected lefties to be in high demand yesterday.  An entire generation of left handed power hitters were neutralized by the shift and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that organizations are very short on them and doing everything they can to react to the new rules. 

Now maybe prognosticators were also on that train of thought when they were ranking draft prospects and went too far overrating any left handed power, but I was surprised any of them fell, and especially Gonzalez.  

• Like 1

He opens up early and steps in the bucket to artifically create power.  You can get away with that against horseshit pitching and swinging a metal bat but big league pitchers would absolutely destroy him on the outer half of the plate.  At least they know they have to fix his swing which is interesting because they also thought they had to fix Bradfields swing but Bradfield is twice the athlete Gonzalez is so why take Gonzalez over Bradfield.  Because Gonzalez fills a need.  That's an awful way to draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He looks kinda slow. I feel like he’s going to shift to 2B, which is fine.

With the caveat that even the absolute best people in the business fail at this constantly my issues with Gonzo are this:

If he's not a SS (and imo looking at his film and reports he's not in MLB) then he's a 2B or 3B. At 2B he'd need to be league average defensively in order to be a solid regular as I don't see how he projects as much more than a 260/310/400 hitter.

If he's a 3B with the same slash line he better be elite defensively.

I dunno, he just seems destined to be utility guy most of the time, maybe a league average player 1/3 and he has zero star potential it seems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He opens up early and steps in the bucket to artifically create power.  You can get away with that against horseshit pitching and swinging a metal bat but big league pitchers would absolutely destroy him on the outer half of the plate.  At least they know they have to fix his swing which is interesting because they also thought they had to fix Bradfields swing but Bradfield is twice the athlete Gonzalez is so why take Gonzalez over Bradfield.  Because Gonzalez fills a need.  That's an awful way to draft.

Bradfield doesn't fill a need?

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

With the caveat that even the absolute best people in the business fail at this constantly my issues with Gonzo are this:

If he's not a SS (and imo looking at his film and reports he's not in MLB) then he's a 2B or 3B. At 2B he'd need to be league average defensively in order to be a solid regular as I don't see how he projects as much more than a 260/310/400 hitter.

If he's a 3B with the same slash line he better be elite defensively.

I dunno, he just seems destined to be utility guy most of the time, maybe a league average player 1/3 and he has zero star potential it seems.

I would only ever draft high upside SP, SS, and CF in the early rounds of the draft. Swing for the fences and try to get difference makers.

I wouldn't be drafting players at those positions and saying "He probably can't play there in the majors but we can just make him a 2B". That's a fail to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I would only ever draft high upside SP, SS, and CF in the early rounds of the draft. Swing for the fences and try to get difference makers.

I wouldn't be drafting players at those positions and saying "He probably can't play there in the majors but we can just make him a 2B". That's a fail to me.

You would have passed on players like Alex Bregman then.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

You would have passed on players like Alex Bregman then.

Well, he was a SS in college so he fits what I was saying. I am not an MLB draft guru so I couldnt tell you if thought process was he couldnt stick there in MLB.

I know the Astros already had Correa who had just won ROY at SS so I dont know if it means Bregman couldnt play there.

There's a difference between we have 2 really good SS one of them has to move to 2B and we drafted this guy to play SS but he just cant cut it, hes going to have to move to 2B.

A first round pick is a premium pick, try to get a premium player.

And this isn't aimed at Gonzalez personally, if his bat is as good as they think I would of course take it at 2B. I just wouldn't be targeting bats at lesser positions, feels like you could find that elsewhere in the draft or trade/FA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

And this isn't aimed at Gonzalez personally, if his bat is as good as they think I would of course take it at 2B. I just wouldn't be targeting bats at lesser positions, feels like you could find that elsewhere in the draft or trade/FA.

Spoiler

Rick_Hahn.jpg

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I'd be SHOCKED if a HS kid is taken, the rest of the way. Sad that we know how the organization works, no matter who is in 'charge' of the draft.

Does JR have anybody in his ear that can explain to him the concept of spending money to make money? Maybe he does but he's just too focused on the 2-5 year timeline he has left in his life. If the Sox had a better farm system, if they spent more on the draft, International academies, foreign scouting and on and on -- it means a better winning percentage at the big league level eventually. And that means more fans through the gates, more Miller Lite sold and better TV revenue.

Sadly, I'm getting the impression that JR really doesn't see much future for the Sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic