White Sox still one of just seven teams to see attendance falls

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cincinnati-reds-attendance-26-percent-211525459.html

This was through mid June, so the numbers might have slightly improved over the summer, but the tv/radio broadcasting numbers must be so abysmal they're not even being released...

"When you take a deeper dive into the numbers, it gets worse. According to Baseball Reference, at this point last year the White Sox had 156,000 more fans in attendance. This is the biggest difference in the major leagues by a wide margin.

The next worst team is only at 77,000 fewer fans than they did last year. The White Sox have almost doubled that number. For a “contending” team in one of the biggest markets in the US, that is extremely embarrassing. Even when other Chicago teams struggle, they are at the top of the league in attendance. Now, there are two baseball teams in Chicago, but they should still not be at the bottom of the league.

If you look at it on a per-game basis, the White Sox are again the worst in the league. Per game, they have lost about 4,000 fans. That is a big loss for the White Sox, especially if you consider how many concessions those 4,000 could have bought.

Again, that is double the next closest team, as they have only lost about 2,000 per game. They are behind teams like Colorado, San Fransico, and Detroit. Even Kansas City, one of the worst teams in the league, has gained more fans from last year."

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

LoL.

"Hopefully, this trend will cause them to make some changes from top to bottom. They need to revamp the front office and the product on the field. This rebuild has been a failure, as they haven’t even won a playoff series, let alone more than one game in either of the two series they played.

White Sox fans need to keep this up, as it will be the only way change will happen. If the Sox are losing money, maybe then they will make smart decisions."

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-attendance-numbers-are-down-significantly/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Keep the embarrassment going Sox fans!

Sox fans need to quit wasting their money and more importantly, if they finally want change, they need to stop spending money on this POS organization. 

I don't give sh#t if Jerry still makes money from other sources, his demented ego will not handle this well when he sees a massive attendance decline, that will be a laughable embarrassment to his franchise and the other baseball owners he is SO MUCH SMARTER than. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Sox fans need to quit wasting their money and more importantly, if they finally want change, they need to stop spending money on this POS organization. 

I don't give sh#t if Jerry still makes money from other sources, his demented ego will not handle this well when he sees a massive attendance decline, that will be a laughable embarrassment to his franchise and the other baseball owners he is SO MUCH SMARTER than. 

I realize Jerry would delegate all the changes needed, but at his age does he have the energy and mental fortitude required to give the team a much needed revamping??

• Hawk 1

The idiots raised ticket prices to season ticket holders after one of the most miserable seasons possible.  This after raising prices during the rebuild in anticipation of the championship window which they pissed away.  I find it hard to believe they are that oblivious, this almost seems intentional.  Think I'll watch the movie "Major League" tonight to see if I can find any clues.

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

LoL.

"Hopefully, this trend will cause them to make some changes from top to bottom. They need to revamp the front office and the product on the field. This rebuild has been a failure, as they haven’t even won a playoff series, let alone more than one game in either of the two series they played.

White Sox fans need to keep this up, as it will be the only way change will happen. If the Sox are losing money, maybe then they will make smart decisions."

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-attendance-numbers-are-down-significantly/

I think the only changes possible are fans finding another team. 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I really, really, really doubt that smart decisions are possible with anyone in that front office, under any kind of circumstance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wait until after the tanking trades. I was hoping they would broach the worst attendance at the new park (1999 - 1,338,851), but they will likely do so in 2024 if Hahn remains as GM. Glad there have been two cancelled games so far (straight DHs replacing), hoping Jerry has to eat 2-3 more home games this season.

Sox fans should also root for the following teams, to sink Hahn further into the bottom five records during his tenure (2013-2023). Royals need to finish within 11 1/2 games of the White Sox to remain above the White Sox. Hopefully Colorado, Baltimore and Cincinnati past the White Sox, and Detroit and Miami make up significant ground.

MLB Records (2013-2022) entering 2023

• 25. Chicago White Sox 700-817  0.461 
  • 26. Colorado Rockies   700-818  0.461 1/2 Game Back (2 1/2 GB in 2023)
  • 27. Baltimore Orioles   687- 831 0.453 13 1/2 Games Back (18 1/2 Games Ahead in 2023!)
  • 28. Detroit Tigers          684-829  0.452 14 Games Back (3 1/2 Games Ahead in 2023)
  • 29. Cincinnati Reds      684- 834  0.451 16 1/2 Games Back (12 1/2 Games Ahead in 2023!)
  • 30. Miami Marlins        653-863   0.431 46 1/2 Games Back (15 Games Ahead in 2023!)
  • Like 1

I also think one of the problems is that they haven't made many upgrades in or around the park. They added like a bar area or something inside the park. Whoopdeedoo. They should do something outside the park kind of like what St. Louis has with their ballpark village, or like with what the cubs have done outside and around their park. The Sox park is nice as it is and IMO is very underrated around the league, especially with the great food options we have, but they really need to upgrade the overall ballpark fan experience especially for the loyal Sox fans who come to the park multiple times a year. Would also be nice if they have some kind of creative Sox history museum or something like that around the park. They spew passion pride and tradition everywhere, but all that is is words. The last 10 years have been abysmal with the product on the field. If they can't get that right, which they obviously are unable to do, then they should upgrade the park in an actual meaningful way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I wish I could ask fans to keep it up, but there is no point. This team is such a s%*# sandwich that there is no way to justify spending money watching them. I'm taking the family to Houston in a few weeks and we will just go see an Astros game for entertainment with Abreu shirts or something. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I also think one of the problems is that they haven't made many upgrades in or around the park. They added like a bar area or something inside the park. Whoopdeedoo. They should do something outside the park kind of like what St. Louis has with their ballpark village, or like with what the cubs have done outside and around their park. The Sox park is nice as it is and IMO is very underrated around the league, especially with the great food options we have, but they really need to upgrade the overall ballpark fan experience especially for the loyal Sox fans who come to the park multiple times a year. Would also be nice if they have some kind of creative Sox history museum or something like that around the park. They spew passion pride and tradition everywhere, but all that is is words. The last 10 years have been abysmal with the product on the field. If they can't get that right, which they obviously are unable to do, then they should upgrade the park in an actual meaningful way.

Jerry rejected a neighborhood plan in the 1980s to incorporate the neighborhood and have large parking garages to minimize the impact on the community. Screw handing another penny of taxpayer money to this gluttonous greedy billionaire.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-white-sox-ballpark-in-chicago-that-never-was-and-could-have-changed-history/

3-7-14-4-armour-field-exterior-perspecti

3-7-14-5-armour-field-interior-perspecti

Jerry maximized profit charging $35 for parking. Jerry to fans, taxpayers, and displaced businesses and people - screw you,

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Good tell Jerry to f*** himself

@Chicago White Sox

@Quin

Can we add another option when you like a post even above the purple trophy one?

For posts that are especially savage like this one, how about a little pic of Macho Man Randy Savage?

I mean we got TLR and Hawk how about a Savage option? 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

I realize Jerry would delegate all the changes needed, but at his age does he have the energy and mental fortitude required to give the team a much needed revamping??

Well he did have the energy and mental fortitude to go to that sports conference back in May and make all kind of stupid comments, like the one about how dumb he felt other owners were when he sits in owner meetings. It seems to me if he can do that type of crap, then his cognitive skills are intact enough to a decision to fire the loser front office. Sadly Jerry just doesn't give a sh$t!

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

With the  lease expiring in a few years they're  not going to do anything major in or around the park.

• Like 1

haven't been to a home game in 4 years. Covid, then TLR account for 3 years. 7-21 start got me this year. Going to Minneapolis next week

and will catch the game there. Will see them in Denver in August. Rick and Kenny will have to go before I return to the south side. Overall

I've been to 5 games in those 4 years, but can't bring myself to give JR any of my money.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cincinnati-reds-attendance-26-percent-211525459.html

This was through mid June, so the numbers might have slightly improved over the summer, but the tv/radio broadcasting numbers must be so abysmal they're not even being released...

"When you take a deeper dive into the numbers, it gets worse. According to Baseball Reference, at this point last year the White Sox had 156,000 more fans in attendance. This is the biggest difference in the major leagues by a wide margin.

The next worst team is only at 77,000 fewer fans than they did last year. The White Sox have almost doubled that number. For a “contending” team in one of the biggest markets in the US, that is extremely embarrassing. Even when other Chicago teams struggle, they are at the top of the league in attendance. Now, there are two baseball teams in Chicago, but they should still not be at the bottom of the league.

If you look at it on a per-game basis, the White Sox are again the worst in the league. Per game, they have lost about 4,000 fans. That is a big loss for the White Sox, especially if you consider how many concessions those 4,000 could have bought.

Again, that is double the next closest team, as they have only lost about 2,000 per game. They are behind teams like Colorado, San Fransico, and Detroit. Even Kansas City, one of the worst teams in the league, has gained more fans from last year."

And the attendance losses will probably only accelerate with the sell-off and ensuing shitshow of baseball in the second half.  Assuming they lose 250k total in attendance at $60-70/ person (parking,  tickets+ concessions) equals 15-20 million less in revenue for Shoeless Jerry. TV deal or not,  that's going to leave a mark. 

16 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Well he did have the energy and mental fortitude to go to that sports conference back in May and make all kind of stupid comments, like the one about how dumb he felt other owners were when he sits in owner meetings. It seems to me if he can do that type of crap, then his cognitive skills are intact enough to a decision to fire the loser front office. Sadly Jerry just doesn't give a sh$t!

Some owners are more about ego and less about business.  Sometimes their ego gets in the way and they go past their boundaries.  Jerry is more business and gets in the way.  Then there are the owners who spend where winning is more important than profit.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Better than six teams (for) now.

Team for which lowest-attended game is down year over year (11): Orioles (21%), Reds (20%), Red Sox (15%), White Sox (10%), Rockies (10%), Royals (12%), Brewers (12%), Angels (10%), Nationals (8%), Braves (7%), Tigers (4%).

These numbers were from April.

Pretty sure you can scratch the Orioles Reds Brewers Braves and MAYBE the Angels now.

That leaves the Red Sox White Sox Rockies Royals Nationals and Tigers as the six who've seen clear decreases from 2022.

Edited by caulfield12

28 minutes ago, skooch said:

And the attendance losses will probably only accelerate with the sell-off and ensuing shitshow of baseball in the second half.  Assuming they lose 250k total in attendance at $60-70/ person (parking,  tickets+ concessions) equals 15-20 million less in revenue for Shoeless Jerry. TV deal or not,  that's going to leave a mark. 

The real killer is that they were counting on their "championship window" to boost their next tv deal, which has to be renegotiated again soon as the one signed in 2018 or 2019 was for just five years.

What once looked like it could be an increase of $15-25 million per season will end up going the other direction at this rate....into further discounting based on horrific ratings.

Then losing Benetti and likely Stone as well.

So let's say a hit overall (at least projected) of $35-55 million is going to hit the payroll (the other revenue hit quoted/outlined above)...and another 20-25% will be chopped off the attendance with a rebuild... bottoming out eventually in that 1.2-1.4 million range in 2024-25.

$140-155 is a pretty realistic payroll range for next year IMO.

Could be "just" $125-140 million for 2025.

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Some owners are more about ego and less about business.  Sometimes their ego gets in the way and they go past their boundaries.  Jerry is more business and gets in the way.  Then there are the owners who spend where winning is more important than profit.

Hopefully after Jerry is gone and the team is sold, the new owner will be one of those rich billionaires who wants to spend money at whatever it takes to win. Hopefully it will be that way because this rich billionaire owner bought the team for fun and to win and he didn't buy the team to make money, because he already has made his billions in some other business.

Whether that happens remains to be seen, but that is my hope. 

12 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Hopefully after Jerry is gone and the team is sold, the new owner will be one of those rich billionaires who wants to spend money at whatever it takes to win. Hopefully it will be that way because this rich billionaire owner bought the team for fun and to win and he didn't buy the team to make money, because he already has made his billions in some other business.

Whether that happens remains to be seen, but that is my hope. 

The next owner likely will not be an individual but a corporation. 

When the Sox fell to 7-21 in April I’m sure most fans said I’m not spending money on these bums so no one should be surprised that attendance is down. I’m actually surprised that at this point they are averaging 20,000 a game. I’ve been pretty good at estimating attendance at Sox games through the years and looking at the rest of the schedule I’m guessing they end up at 1,700,000 for the year, we still have 3 games coming up with the Yankees and 2 with the Cubs which will see crowds in excess of 30,000. The rest of the games won’t see many crowds above 25,000 with crowds in Sept. between 15 and 20 thousand.