2023 College Football Thread

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They really didn't even need a committee.

Once they decided they couldn't take either Alabama or Texas without taking the other...any discussion was basically over, as it became inevitable both FSU and UGA would be locked out by the weekend's results.

Well, not even results with FSU...but "perception" of their 3rd string QB.

It's funny that if UGA won, FSU would still be #4 and Texas would not have jumped them.

100 percent wrong choice. I get it - FSU would lose but they played the season that got them there. Can’t punish them because their qb got hurt. The resume is the resume and they should get in over a one loss Bama or Georgia. 

Otherwise what is the point.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

100 percent wrong choice. I get it - FSU would lose but they played the season that got them there. Can’t punish them because their qb got hurt. The resume is the resume and they should get in over a one loss Bama or Georgia. 

Otherwise what is the point.  

I wish that was the way voters would go. That would spread out the better teams across more conferences. Now they cluster into fewer conferences knowing they can lose a game and still have a chance at a national title. 

Actually I'd love a Thanksgiving to New Year's December Madness. A 32 team tournament. 

10 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

FSU should absolutely not play their game. They've already been told their games are worthless. Why ever play in an even more worthless game?

The school has a portion of $102.77 million reasons to play.

Mike Norvell has $8.05M reasons to play, plus a $200,000 bonus for showing up to the Orange Bowl, because obviously over $8M per year is not nearly enough for Mike to make it day to day in Tallahassee.

A Trail of Tears indeed.

Look at how much fun you are having in this stolen victimhood though.

If this was 2003, Michigan would be playing Washington and we'd hear how unfair it is to Florida State. It's always something. It will always be something.

This was one of the best college football seasons I can remember. And it's going to be capped off with games between Texas, Michigan Alabama and an incredible story in Washington.

Seems fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Look at how much fun you are having in this stolen victimhood though.

If this was 2003, Michigan would be playing Washington and we'd hear how unfair it is to Florida State. It's always something. It will always be something.

This was one of the best college football seasons I can remember. And it's going to be capped off with games between Texas, Michigan Alabama and an incredible story in Washington.

Seems fine.

This was really the year where 8 would have been perfect. I've always been in favor of 8 or 10 with top 2 getting a bye. I always say after that - you really can't argue and in fairness, most years 4 was probably enough. Heck in almost all instances 6 is enough. 

So yes - 4 is better than 2, 12 is actually probably too many, but I can live with it as well.  But I could just see in the NFL, say Niners are the top seed and than they lose their 3 best players.  Should the NFL step in and say - nah, you don't deserve a bye.  Or maybe said the other way - would anyone think it would make sense to institute a committee to make that assessment and have the ability to shift who does it. 

57 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This was really the year where 8 would have been perfect. I've always been in favor of 8 or 10 with top 2 getting a bye. I always say after that - you really can't argue and in fairness, most years 4 was probably enough. Heck in almost all instances 6 is enough. 

So yes - 4 is better than 2, 12 is actually probably too many, but I can live with it as well.  But I could just see in the NFL, say Niners are the top seed and than they lose their 3 best players.  Should the NFL step in and say - nah, you don't deserve a bye.  Or maybe said the other way - would anyone think it would make sense to institute a committee to make that assessment and have the ability to shift who does it. 

Yea but the nfl has a simple win loss formula and college ball is still on rankings and record.  The nfl has their own way to make sure there is no questions about impartiality whereas we all are staring at this mess wondering why FSU is being punished for something outside of normal qualifications 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think it's 100% accurate that the committee felt comfortable leaving out FSU because it's 12 teams next year and didn't need to care about "integrity" or whatever.

12 is great to me because missouri is currently ranked 9 I think, and probably will get smoked by OSU.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's 100% accurate that the committee felt comfortable leaving out FSU because it's 12 teams next year and didn't need to care about "integrity" or whatever.

12 is great to me because missouri is currently ranked 9 I think, and probably will get smoked by OSU.

OSU is going to be playing a lot of non-starters

3 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

Any player destined to play on Sundays should skip bowl games, including ones in the so-called playoff.  Why should they risk injury for someone else’s payday.

They took the money I think the folks paying those NIL deals deserve a say in the matter. You pay big bucks and the guy sits out a bowl game? 

I wonder how many will write that into the contract if kids are skipping out and not playing.

• TLR 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Without McCord?

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

They took the money I think the folks paying those NIL deals deserve a say in the matter. You pay big bucks and the guy sits out a bowl game? 

I wonder how many will write that into the contract if kids are skipping out and not playing.

Compared to what other entities are getting paid?  It will never happen anyway.  They'll just be the usual smattering of players who skip the games.

It would be quite funny to me, if they had 3rd and 4th stringers for big bowl games, akin to NFL preseason but worse.

45 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Compared to what other entities are getting paid?  It will never happen anyway.  They'll just be the usual smattering of players who skip the games.

It would be quite funny to me, if they had 3rd and 4th stringers for big bowl games, akin to NFL preseason but worse.

Not a huge game, but Oregon St is gonna have all sorts of issues fielding a “legit” offense

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Deacon Hill probably wants to enter the portal but nobody biting.  Have never seen a QB with less instinctive touch when he throws the ball.

I don't think I've ever seen a QB struggle so hard to throw for 1000 yards in a full CFB season. 

18 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

And that's part of the challenge. The folks making the money aren't the ones paying the players and have different reasons for writing the checks.