Lucas wanted to spend his entire career with the White Sox. The White Sox weren't interested. - Rick Giolito

South Side Hit Men

https://www.audacy.com/?videoId=6331954212112

"I'm feeling the way Lucas is feeling. Shocked. Lucas never wanted to leave, he loved Chicago, he loves the team, he loves his teammates and despite the fact that they were playing some bad baseball, he wanted to stay".....

"Lucas said many times that he wanted to play his whole career in Chicago. He doesn't like saying stuff just for the sake of saying things. He is the most earnest person on Earth and is incredibly truthful. He did want that and was hoping a deal could be worked out, but it just wasn't going to happen. It's sad. It's sad for him, I'm going to miss it."

- Rick Giolito

"You probably all know the story of Rick Renteria, who I have the upmost respect for. After a particularly bad game, pulled Lucas aside and said, "Hey man, it's fine. You're going to be an All Star one day." And Lucas was like "What?! I just got killed." and sure enough the next year he was."

- Rick Giolito

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Respect his feelings on that.. but thats not how life usually works even outside pro sports.   

Most of us are expendable or will be so.  

If you are looking for loyalty - pets are your best bet.

What I find expendable? Cheering the fifth decade Jerry's laundry, and the second decade of GM Hahn.

Goodfellas' treatment for fans of Lucas:

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/parkins-spiegel-show-6fb30/episodes/chris-tannehills-goodfellas-treatment-for-white-sox-pitcher-lucas-giolito-d314b

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Wanted to stay on his financial terms

He wasn't willing to sign an extension for significantly below market value, therefore the Sox weren't interested.

Good luck filling out a viable rotation in 2024 and beyond without Lucas in it. Not getting an extension done with him will be a huge mistake.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I don't believe that.

It's true. They haggle over 50k. And they never made him an extension offer. Ozzie was perplexed why they never discussed an extension. But a players executive council member during labor strife is the answer. He did last longer than any of the other Sox player reps lasted who were there during strikesand lockouts. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It's true. They haggle over 50k. And they never made him an extension offer. Ozzie was perplexed why they never discussed an extension. But a players executive council member during labor strife is the answer. He did last longer than any of the other Sox player reps lasted who were there during strikesand lockouts. 

This goes back decades, Joe Horlen was cut soon after the 1972 labor impasse ended along with most of the other player reps at the time. Joe told me all about it. Fortunately for him Charlie Finley could care less and signed him and he got a ring with the A's in 72.

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

He wasn't willing to sign an extension for significantly below market value, therefore the Sox weren't interested.

Good luck filling out a viable rotation in 2024 and beyond without Lucas in it. Not getting an extension done with him will be a huge mistake.

The Sox rotation is going to be comically bad next year. And it isn’t like they have any pitching prospects outside of Schultz who is super far away that really project as more than back of rotation starters.  Yay for maybe competing in 2026.

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If we didn't fire Ricky we don't hire Tony. :whichway

Renteria was not good. He was "fine." They needed a better manager. The chose the worse possible route with LaRussa - a dinosaur - a guy who hadn't managed in 10 years. This isn't a Renteria or Larissa, there were other, better options and Jerry didn't even bother.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Renteria was not good. He was "fine." They needed a better manager. The chose the worse possible route with LaRussa - a dinosaur - a guy who hadn't managed in 10 years. This isn't a Renteria or Larissa, there were other, better options and Jerry didn't even bother.

I know. Kinda joking

I think all of us would have taken another year of Ricky vs La Russa if we had the choice. 

By all accounts it seemed like the players loved playing for Ricky and the clubhouse seemed way more loose and had fun. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Good Pitching is what wins games. Pitching staffs are constantly in flux. If you have good pitching you should do your best to keep the staff intact. However, Reinsdorf won’t pay out the big bucks or long term contracts. Very sad 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Good Pitching is what wins games. Pitching staffs are constantly in flux. If you have good pitching you should do your best to keep the staff intact. However, Reinsdorf won’t pay out the big bucks or long term contracts. Very sad 

You don't have to worry as much about extensions if you have proper MiLB depth like the Guardians Brewers Rays etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I personally don't think it matters who the manager has been. The players are who the players are, this would have been a sht show either way. But that said... the managerial hirings have been...subpar...

• TLR 1

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I personally don't think it matters who the manager has been. The players are who the players are, this would have been a sht show either way. But that said... the managerial hirings have been...subpar...

But the last 2 1/2 seasons the attitude has stunk; bad performances are one thing but the whole atmosphere around the team has been one of indifference. Ultimately it is the manager's job to motivate players. amongst other things, at least under Ricky Renteria he was trying to imbue the right attitude in the players.

Not saying this team would be winning in the play offs under Renteria, because the same depth issues and holes in the roster would exist, but the attitude might be better and as a result performances. But at the moment they seem to be losing and not caring, every now and again one of them trots out the same old phrases about how much they want things to improve and this is too talented a bunch of players to keep losing, but the proof is out their on the field, they are simply going through the motions and losing .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I know. Kinda joking

I think all of us would have taken another year of Ricky vs La Russa if we had the choice. 

By all accounts it seemed like the players loved playing for Ricky and the clubhouse seemed way more loose and had fun. 

Not only that but he seemed to be trying to teach the players how to do things properly, and to have the right attitude, win or lose. At the moment the attitude is possibly the biggest problem, the players seem totally demotivated and indifferent. 

Renteria was an average manager but after the last 3 seasons even an average manager would seem like a massive improvement.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SkokieSox said:

Wanted to stay on his financial terms

This

I believe the rumor was they entertained talks for a short period and Lucas wanted $125-$150M and the Sox were closer to $50M so they didn't even bother discussing further.