Who gets a Look in Aug/Sept

Timmy U

Sox played last night 2 guys down, 1 pitcher, 1 hitter.  I hope to hear they have added 2 players to the active roster by game time tonight, but these are the Sox, so who knows? They may just bring up Trayce Thompson and Jimmy Lambert. I'd like to see a few guys get a shot.  Eventually, I'd like Korey Lee to catch once he's healthy, Sosa to get some time at 2b/3b, and Patino to get time to work with Katz, given that he's out of options next year.

What do you guys think? Who would you like to see added/subtracted in the last two months?

• Thanks 1

In my opinion, the Sox need to DFA 35-yr old Shaw, Grandal, and Andrus at a minimum. None of those guys are back next year and provide anything to a losing team trying to figure out the future state. Sosa and C. Perez (if Lee is not ready) should be up. 

It’s amazing how bad the AAA pitching is. I don’t like calling up Lambert because he’s been very bad this year, both in MLB and AAA. But there’s not much in Charlotte to test out. Maybe drop Shaw and Lambert for two spots of either Nate Fisher, Garrett Davila, or Haylen Green. If you go deep all the way to AA, maybe try Caleb Freeman as a reliever (1.96 era in 20 appearances). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Seby Zavala is terrible and needs to be DFA.  Let Lee and Perez man the dish the balance of the year.

Seby grades out pretty well defensively, and this team could do with all of the defense it can get, right now. He sucks at hitting, we know that, but I'd rather him catch and at least provide defense, instead of Grandal who provides neither.

• Like 2

Sox brought up Lambert but no position player. Are they playing a man short again?  And if so, why?  I have a feeling if they were willing to give Sosa another look, he'd be up right now.  I predict they are holding the roster spot for Trayce Thompson and they're going to play out the string with multiple 30-something looming FA roster fillers.

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Sox played last night 2 guys down, 1 pitcher, 1 hitter.  I hope to hear they have added 2 players to the active roster by game time tonight, but these are the Sox, so who knows? They may just bring up Trayce Thompson and Jimmy Lambert. I'd like to see a few guys get a shot.  Eventually, I'd like Korey Lee to catch once he's healthy, Sosa to get some time at 2b/3b, and Patino to get time to work with Katz, given that he's out of options next year.

What do you guys think? Who would you like to see added/subtracted in the last two months?

Sounds reasonable. Time to get a look at players if they think they're ready. 

DFA Grandal and Andrus and send Zavala and Sheets back down to AAA. I know Zavala is a good catcher defensively, but it doesn't matter anymore as we aren't going to win many games even if Zavala catches. We already know Sheets can't hit, other than groundballs and short flyouts and he too is wasting a roster spot. Then let as many new players get shots to the new 28 man roster on Sept 1 to see if they can handle the majors.

The Sox aren't going anyway and so they might as well let a bunch of AAA players play instead of Grandal, Andrus, Sheets and Zavala. The best thing is we find out if they are worth keeping. On the other hand if they cant help, then that's fine too, as we will probably finish with one of the worst three records and be in the lottery.

• Like 1

Rush up a few guys, crush their hopes and dreams, and confirm we're at rock bottom. 

I'd put Grandahl behind the plate every game until he begs to be released. Let the AAA guys actual have some success before tossing them into the deep end on a poorly coached, bottom of the league, team. 

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

So we're just going to play another game tonight, a man down on the roster. Makes sense. Bad team made even worse, by handicapping themselves.

Morons.

I believe the White Sox have petitioned to play tonight as a Right Field Out game since they are short a player....no word from Manfred's office yet.

2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

So we're just going to play another game tonight, a man down on the roster. Makes sense. Bad team made even worse, by handicapping themselves.

Morons.

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

A few things I’d like to see:

1. Conserve Santos’ usage the final two months. He’s 23 and pitched a heavy workload (46 games) to date.
  2. Give Robert and Benintendi more rest down the stretch. Robert has had three games off which is absurd. Benintendi has had 8 games off, played with his hand issues. Both should get a game off a week the rest of the way and get pulled in blowouts.
  3. Bring up Haseley (27) who can play acceptable CF, and Patino to see what he can do before you make a decision about 2024.
  4. Place Grandal on outright waivers.

I don’t agree with bringing up Trace Thompson beyond a few days before he retires. He’s a 32 year old AAAA player.

Also don’t like having Sosa overmatched at the MLB level. He’s 23, there is time to promote him perhaps for roster expansion to get another taste and better ending, or in 2024 when he may be ready.

• Like 1

DFA Elvis.  Call up Sosa.

DFA Grandal and call up Lee when he's healthy enough.

No reason to pitch Shaw. Not sure who the answer is there, because there is no pitching in AAA really but should be some waiver options.  Guess you could run Padilla out there once he's healthy. 

Call up Perez in September.  

Not a whole lot more we can do..

23 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Seby grades out pretty well defensively, and this team could do with all of the defense it can get, right now. He sucks at hitting, we know that, but I'd rather him catch and at least provide defense, instead of Grandal who provides neither.

That's why I said Lee and Perez... not Grandal or Zavala...