Kim Ng: "I called up my man Kenny Williams and got it done"

HoosierSox

54 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think everyone is making way too much out of it. It was crunch time, she knows Kenny really well. Went with what is familiar.

People just don't seem to realize that no one does all of the work by themselves in any organization. It's just too much.  They all work together with the GM having the final say. He consults KW on nearly all deals. When it was crunch time she called the person she knows the best. KW did not make this trade without working with Hahn.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

People just don't seem to realize that no one does all of the work by themselves in any organization. It's just too much.  They all work together with the GM having the final say. He consults KW on nearly all deals. When it was crunch time she called the person she knows the best. KW did not make this trade without working with Hahn.

I was going to say, deadline day has to be chaotic. It can't just be one person making and taking calls.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think everyone is making way too much out of it. It was crunch time, she knows Kenny really well. Went with what is familiar.

I would agree with you on this. Plus I would think folks would understand that an organization and its parts doesn’t work in a vacuum. 

• Like 1

It very well could be that the parameters of a deal had been worked out.  It was a busy time, Hahn could have been on the phone with some other club and she may have called saying yes we will do the deal.  Or Hahn could have been locked in a closet.  I don't think if Hahn was completely out of the loop, you keep sending him out to the press.  Think stuff would have leaked more from other organizations also.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You’re exactly right, which just means KW is just as responsible for this mess as Hahn is and they all need to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

She was in the booth the other day and I am pretty sure I heard her say that they had been working on that one for a while and it didn't just come together at the last second.

The SCORE played a recording where she said they were watching Burger since last year.

27 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Lol! Yeah I’m sure she has no idea who calls the shots in the white Sox Organization, so she just called her contact! 

The way the real world works is that when you have contacts within an organization, you reach out to them and go from there. It sounds like Ng knows Kenny, and gave him a call. This is the way business is done in the real world. Shocking, I know. 

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes, I'm sure on the last day it is chaotic. However one thing still doesn't make sense. Let's assume Rick Hahn still has the power and full decision making authority. Yes Kim NG called her buddy Kenny about Burger. Even though Hahn supposedly runs all things past Kenny, wouldn't Kenny do one of two things:

1.Put Kim on hold and go get Hahn to come in his office. Their two offices are really close by each other.

2. Tell Kim I will get Rick and we will call you back to discuss this.

Let me play devil's advocate here. Put yourself in Hahn's shoes and by no means am I defending this POS loser. Yet the fact is, if Hahn is so called the man in charge, how would you feel being Hahn and Kenny walks in your office and says, "hey good news, I just traded Jake Burger to the Marlins and you had no clue. My point is just maybe we are not reading more into this and Kenny is slowing moving Hahn out.

In the real world of any business or sports team, or whatever org...executives and managerial people don't make decisions without that key person, which is Hahn, if supposedly in Hahn is still in total charge. 

• Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Yes, I'm sure on the last day it is chaotic. However one thing still doesn't make sense. Let's assume Rick Hahn still has the power and full decision making authority. Yes Kim NG called her buddy Kenny about Burger. Even though Hahn supposedly runs all things past Kenny, wouldn't Kenny do one of two things:

1.Put Kim on hold and go get Hahn to come in his office. Their two offices are really close by each other.

Let me play devil's advocate here. Put yourself in Hahn's shoes and by no means am I defending this POS loser. Yet the fact is, if Hahn is so called the man in charge, how would you feel being Hahn and Kenny walks in your office and says, "hey good news, I just traded Jake Burger to the Marlins and you had no clue. My point is just maybe we are not reading more into this and Kenny is slowing moving Hahn out.

In the real world of any business or sports team, or whatever org...executives and managerial people don't make decisions without that key person, which is Hahn, if supposedly in Hahn is still in total charge. 

It was never said at any point that Rick Hahn had nothing to do with this, its all assumptions based on something Kim Ng said when discussing the Marlins deadline deals.

Again, people are looking way too into this and I get it, everyone wants Hahn gone so any form of info that looks like its happening is going to be brought up.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

It was never said at any point that Rick Hahn had nothing to do with this, its all assumptions based on something Kim Ng said when discussing the Marlins deadline deals.

Again, people are looking way too into this and I get it, everyone wants Hahn gone so any form of info that looks like its happening is going to be brought up.

I'm not buying that. Kim made no mention of her call with Kenny and Rick. It was strictly between her and Kenny. There is no GM who would have this big call and not acknowledge Hahn being also on the call and thanking him as well. It just doesn't work that way. Kim's comment is very telling.

• Hawk 1

28 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm sure a 240 lb 27 year old with 2 torn achilles and a career .290 obp is someone they identified and had to have. 

Pretty narrow minded thinking. Marlins as a team are tops or near it in batting average. What they lack is power to  get those big inngs.Burger has combined more extra base hits than singles. They also realize that also he is 27 that he has missed 3 crucial development years and that he has room to improve. Why even bother talking about his weight and OBP when the thing they wanted was his power and work ethic and years to see if he could me more than that since she also said he had 80 grade makeup.

I think both sides got what they. We'll just have to wait a bit to see if both Burger and Eder have more in them.

• Fire 2

42 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I'm not buying that. Kim made no mention of her call with Kenny and Rick. It was strictly between her and Kenny. There is no GM who would have this big call and not acknowledge Hahn being also on the call and thanking him as well. It just doesn't work that way. Kim's comment is very telling.

Bottom line is, Kim Ng didn't call KW at 4:30 on deadline day and say "We want Burger, lets work out a trade." Discussions had already taken place, all we know is she said she called up KW and got the deal done. Not started, done. You are of course free to interpret that however you want.

58 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Correct. Which means they consult and work with each other everyday, especially during the trade deadline. While Hahn has final say, doesn't mean he doesn't work with KW and many others. Hahn had to talk to the scout who saw the players form the Miami organization as well looking at other players since Ng was targeting Burger.. No decisions are made without input from many others. Full decision making authority does not mean he doesn't consult with many others in the organization before making the decision.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Pretty narrow minded thinking. Marlins as a team are tops or near it in batting average. What they lack is power to  get those big inngs.Burger has combined more extra base hits than singles. They also realize that also he is 27 that he has missed 3 crucial development years and that he has room to improve. Why even bother talking about his weight and OBP when the thing they wanted was his power and work ethic and years to see if he could me more than that since she also said he had 80 grade makeup.

I think both sides got what they. We'll just have to wait a bit to see if both Burger and Eder have more in them.

Yeah, I forgot to add that now he's in the NL and can't play defense. :)

I like Burger, but we turning him into a top 100 prospect is a net positive. 

Edited by TaylorStSox