Keynan Middleton rips White Sox 'no rules' culture

maxjusttyped

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

We didn’t see that with Ricky

Granted, but we shouldn’t ignore how laziness and a lack of effort was the number 1 defining characteristic of Venturas last 4 seasons too. And that it started, conveniently, in 2013.

Renteria they did work harder, but they also refused to work smarter because he didn’t believe anyone else could have any answers other than him.

Then with LaRussa we combined the worst of both of those.

7 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

Not saying it’s not true but I would like to hear some corroboration because right now it sounds like Middleton is saying something without really saying something.

We all knew something was wrong so this is not a surprise. Also, I am not into trying to name names because none were given. Sounds like a real leadership issue and that is ultimately Pedro’s job regardless if it is a carryover from last year.

You’re probably not going to get the corroboration you're looking for.  IMO what’s more important is to look for players outside the organization (Kuechel, Gio, Lynn) and how they respond. If they respond at all. Realistically, we cannot expect someone on the team to say anything but positive remarks. 

It’s easy to believe Middleton because it would just go in line with everything we observe with the team. Also, it’s another embarrassing story about the team and at this point we’re all behind anything that may possibly lead to wholesale changes in the organization

If you expect a manager to go in and solve all the longstanding problems with your team, that's already a symptom of a bad org.

Managers only power over players can be playing time. When the front office is so clueless on what a winning org looks like, and so clearly hostage-taken as soon as they hand out a contract, this is what you get. But a front office can DFA you. A front office can trade you. A front office can also influence your reputation among other employers.

People say Moncada's contract is untradeable. That's not true. It is likely true for the white sox though, who would be totally fine just waiting for 3 more years for it to be over. Because what does it matter?

• Like 4

Just now, bmags said:

If you expect a manager to go in and solve all the longstanding problems with your team, that's already a symptom of a bad org.

Managers only power over players can be playing time. When the front office is so clueless on what a winning org looks like, and so clearly hostage-taken as soon as they hand out a contract, this is what you get. But a front office can DFA you. A front office can trade you. A front office can also influence your reputation among other employers.

People say Moncada's contract is untradeable. That's not true. It is likely true for the white sox though, who would be totally fine just waiting for 3 more years for it to be over. Because what does it matter?

I get that, but no rules? Middleton is a fairly lousy pitcher, but a really respected guy. If he says there are no rules, there are no rules. Pedro has to go with Hahn, KW, Chris Getz, Hostetler, and few more.

• Like 3

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I get that, but no rules? Middleton is a fairly lousy pitcher, but a really respected guy. If he says there are no rules, there are no rules. Pedro has to go with Hahn, KW, Chris Getz, Hostetler, and few more.

Don't get me wrong, he's bad. But even if there were rules, i'm not sure if we see that much change. I obviously did expect things like "don't sleep during a game" to be enforced.

But sox keep thinking "oh maybe if we bring in a respected vet" it'll change things. Oh we need a more checked in manager. It's a thru and thru problem at this point. It's players, it's management, it's GM, it's owner. There's laziness at all levels. You try to fix one the finger will come at you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Unloading Moncada should be our top offseason priority. It sure as hell won’t be building a contender. I’m sure the biggest problem is that JR will not be willing to eat much of the contract. If we were willing to pay half, someone/somewhere will find a spot for him in their infield.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Don't get me wrong, he's bad. But even if there were rules, i'm not sure if we see that much change. I obviously did expect things like "don't sleep during a game" to be enforced.

But sox keep thinking "oh maybe if we bring in a respected vet" it'll change things. Oh we need a more checked in manager. It's a thru and thru problem at this point. It's players, it's management, it's GM, it's owner. There's laziness at all levels. You try to fix one the finger will come at you.

I thought the whole article was pretty damning toward Pedro. Then I remember both Hahn and KW gushing over Pedro saying he was even more than they thought he'd be. This team is a total disaster.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

Just now, Vote4Pedro said:

Stoney on the Score next. Will be interesting to see if he carries water for the team on this story 

It's weird, sometimes he carries the water, especially on twitter, and other times, he sort of blasts them. And the Score is the place he blasts them since it isn't their flagship. 

• Like 2

One thing that seemed so apparent last year - and again, not trying to take heat of either manager - was once the lock out was over, it seemed like our players had just been on straight up vacation for weeks.

As fans, we were burning all offseason, desperate to see the team assert its place as a real contender after such a thud of a post-deadline team. 

They came back and it seemed like they had just picked up a baseball for the first time in weeks. Definitely not what astros, dodgers, rays or guardians players were doing as they prepared for the year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Unloading Moncada should be our top offseason priority. It sure as hell won’t be building a contender. I’m sure the biggest problem is that JR will not be willing to eat much of the contract. If we were willing to pay half, someone/somewhere will find a spot for him in their infield.

Just DFA him, he brings nothing to the table these days 

• Like 2

Just now, bmags said:

One thing that seemed so apparent last year - and again, not trying to take heat of either manager - was once the lock out was over, it seemed like our players had just been on straight up vacation for weeks.

As fans, we were burning all offseason, desperate to see the team assert its place as a real contender after such a thud of a post-deadline team. 

They came back and it seemed like they had just picked up a baseball for the first time in weeks. Definitely not what astros, dodgers, rays or guardians players were doing as they prepared for the year.

Because they all thought they only had to show up and they’d make the postseason

This is front page on ESPN.com. He isn't saying anything most of us have been saying for awhile now. The lousy culture and lack of any leadership are the the biggest problems in the Sox organization. The new manager was supposed to help change this but he doesn't have the personality or experience to do it. The players are walking all over him just like they did with TLR.

You need rules and you need your players to make sure they are followed. I'm a huge Michigan State BB fan and their coach Tom Izzo always says that when your best players are your hardest workers then the rest of the team will follow. When have the Sox had that? 

Losing has just become acceptable. When have any of the players come out and said dammit I'm sick of losing!  No one says anything. TA, Moncada, Vaughn, Jimenez, Robert, Cease, not one of them is a strong voice and or a leader. 

Hopefully this article will expose the Sox for the joke of an organization they are and just maybe force some positive change. 

At least we can hope. Because without hope what is there?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brijames1957 said:

This is front page on ESPN.com. He isn't saying anything most of us have been saying for awhile now. The lousy culture and lack of any leadership are the the biggest problems in the Sox organization. The new manager was supposed to help change this but he doesn't have the personality or experience to do it. The players are walking all over him just like they did with TLR.

You need rules and you need your players to make sure they are followed. I'm a huge Michigan State BB fan and their coach Tom Izzo always says that when your best players are your hardest workers then the rest of the team will follow. When have the Sox had that? 

Losing has just become acceptable. When have any of the players come out and said dammit I'm sick of losing!  No one says anything. TA, Moncada, Vaughn, Jimenez, Robert, Cease, not one of them is a strong voice and or a leader. 

Hopefully this article will expose the Sox for the joke of an organization they are and just maybe force some positive change. 

At least we can hope. Because without hope what is there?

At the very least, there will be token changes. Pitchers will have to show up for PFP. No more sleeping in the bullpen....won't make a difference this year. Bring in a team that demands accountability. 

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Stoney hadn’t read the article yet  so doesn’t want to comment too much on it. Middle road take. Whole lot of nothing 

Should have known. He's team Pedro. I guarantee he's read the article. It's funny, he and Jason were just gushing about Middleton the other night.

Edited by Dick Allen

Maybe this is finally the thing that gets changes to happen.  Doubtful, but who knows.  The brawl Saturday night, followed by this, is giving the Sox plenty of unwanted national attention.  Wouldn't you think that there's a point where JR, as cheap as he is, finally says enough is enough?  Clean house and try to build a team with a better culture.

Now, how long until we see the announcement that SoxFest is cancelled again?

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Should have known. He's team Pedro. I guarantee he's read the article. It's funny, he and Jason were just gushing about Middleton the other night.

He did have good things to say about Middleton but pretty much immediately moved to talking about the fight 

Middleton should get a standing ovation if he comes into a game this week.  We obviosly knew much of this already but fans saying this wasnt going to change anything.  Now that a former player of ours has brought this to the forefront, may e some changes will happen to this organization in the offseason.  Than you Kenyan for being one player here who had a desire to win.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Stoney hadn’t read the article yet  so doesn’t want to comment too much on it. Middle road take. Whole lot of nothing 

Yeah, because it is super difficult to… read an article on ESPN. How could one find the time to do this?

• Like 3