Keynan Middleton rips White Sox 'no rules' culture

maxjusttyped

23 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This all comes full circle.   Many of here, including myself, took offense to Abreu speaking negatively about the Sox a few months back.   

“I think sometimes talking about the past can bring a lot of animosity, but I think the best way I can put it is just that we weren’t a real family.”

-José Abreu (via Chicago Sun-Times)

Abreu wanted to be buried wearing a Sox uniform not so long ago.   For that man to speak out against the Sox and what we're finding out today, I don't see how the Sox get out of this without completely purging the front office and the entire ML Roster.  

They need a full blown reset .

I still think Abreu was offended by whatever paltry contract we offered him

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I still think Abreu was offended by whatever paltry contract we offered him

That's always a tough situation. How much value do you place on prior accomplishments while wearing the uniform? 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

That's always a tough situation. How much value do you place on prior accomplishments while wearing the uniform? 

Yeah I didn't love letting him go but I also suspect that Abreu may not have the firmest grasp on the value of a mid-30s 1B. Then again, he seemed happy with what the Astros were offering and the Astros have a better track record on these matters than the White Sox.

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yeah I didn't love letting him go but I also suspect that Abreu may not have the firmest grasp on the value of a mid-30s 1B. Then again, he seemed happy with what the Astros were offering and the Astros have a better track record on these matters than the White Sox.

The Astros were operating without a GM at the time, they'd fired James Click because the owner didn't like him. The owner made that decision with the input of Jeff Bagwell. They also signed a reliever to big money at the same time and that guy's been awful this year. Not their normal procedure nor their current new GM. 

25 minutes ago, Quin said:

...seriously?

The dude is employed by the team. 

It's not like he's Riordan making weird bodybuilder GIFs of Hahn.

Even a "journalist" needs to have some standards regardless of who they are employed by. I know a little something about this I've been in the sports media since 1979.

I work for Idaho State University as one of their broadcasters but I still have a responsibility to the public. When the team is playing badly I have a responsibility to say so.

I know Scott, have met him a few times, we were at a banquet together for one example and he's a good guy but his friendship with Hahn because both went to Michigan is clouding his professional judgement. 

And Riordan is just an idiot. He's a producer not in my book a real member of the media. (He thinks he is though) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Even a "journalist" needs to have some standards regardless of who they are employed by. I know a little something about this I've been in the sports media since 1979.

I work for Idaho State University as one of their broadcasters but I still have a responsibility to the public. When the team is playing badly I have a responsibility to say so.

I know Scott, have met him a few times, we were at a banquet together for one example and he's a good guy but his friendship with Hahn because both went to Michigan is clouding his professional judgement. 

And Riordan is just an idiot. He's a producer not in my book a real member of the media. (He thinks he is though) 

The Orioles set the bar for making demands of their announcers. They suspended/fire anyone even close to being critical. 

For a guy in Hahn who at best has always been MR. PR  its puzzling to take this approach of " we traded the problem". Nobody in hell would buy that. 

Just be honest, " Look we have a terribly disappointing year and nobody feels good about that. Some of the stories that have come out are true. Its always he easy to say you have good culture when you win but its more difficult when things don't go to plan.  We are going to take the time to improve our overall team culture and how we go about business. We want to end this season on high note with not only play good quality baseball but going about it the right way".  

Thats it. 

Edited by kwill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The Astros were operating without a GM at the time, they'd fired James Click because the owner didn't like him. The owner made that decision with the input of Jeff Bagwell. They also signed a reliever to big money at the same time and that guy's been awful this year. Not their normal procedure nor their current new GM. 

lol I had memory-holed that entire fiasco

21 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I wanted to give Pedro a chance this year but he hasn’t shown anything to earn a second year. 

This team needed a disciplinarian manager such as Joe Girardi, who is a local and has worked in winning organizations.   Grifol is too laid back,lacks leadership, and is afraid of confronting his players.  I guess Pedro was cheap which suited JR.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hankchifan said:

This team needed a disciplinarian manager such as Joe Girardi, who is a local and has worked in winning organizations.   Grifol is too laid back,lacks leadership, and is afraid of confronting his players.  I guess Pedro was cheap which suited JR.

Joe Girardi would have been perfect for the Sox! That is why JR has to be gone, his cheap ways are obsolete in running a baseball team in a major market. We all know Girardi would have intimidated Jerry.

There is an old adage in business and it also seems to apply to sports teams. We've all heard it many times, but obviously JR doesn't believe it, when it comes to his value of a manager and FO key support staff, "You have to spend money to make money!" 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Girardi got his ass bounced from the Phillies for exactly all the bullshit that you think would have made this team better.  They were absolutely terrible until he left

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Texsox said:

The Orioles set the bar for making demands of their announcers. They suspended/fire anyone even close to being critical. 

What a bunch of BS that is.  As great of a season that they are having, and they go and do that.  Don’t know F-all about Orioles ownership, but that’s amateur hour.

• Fire 1

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Girardi got his ass bounced from the Phillies for exactly all the bullshit that you think would have made this team better.  They were absolutely terrible until he left

I'm sorry, what proof do you have other than the Phillies going on a scorcher and eventually to the World Series?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

You can only hope that more scandals (although these being light scandals) and embarrassments forces the board to turn on Reinsdorf. 

But like many have said, as long as they're getting paid, they don't care.  However,  I think attendance and sponsorship will be in for a very rude awakening come 2024.   Lots of season ticket folks I know are calling it quits, some with tenure going back almost 20 years.    You start losing those folks, it's over. 

There is no doubt the attendance will suffer even more in 2024. The current Sox attendance has the #1 largest decrease in MLB from 2022 attendance figures. The way this season will implode even more, there is no doubt the 2024 attendance will continue to decline further. Hopefully it's a worst decline so maybe it finally wakes up the demented JR to clean house.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1