TA suspension reduced to 5 games, begins Friday

Lip Man 1

And before you ask according to DVS in the story the Sox are going to play a man short for the length of his suspension.

Words fail me...all you can do is laugh. 😆

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/8/17/23835674/white-sox-tim-anderson-to-begin-serving-suspension-friday

Regarding that bizarre Sox "philosophy" on playing a man or two short this is what I was told over the winter for what it is worth:

“The White Sox playing shorthanded started in 2007 when Jermaine Dye got hurt and Kenny Williams refused to call up Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. Maybe they were cheap, maybe they wanted to protect Herm’s record of keeping guys off the DL.” (Author’s Note: Herm Schneider was the Sox longtime head trainer and for years the Sox were among the league leaders in keeping players healthy.) 

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

• Quin changed the title to TA suspension reduced to 5 games, begins Friday
1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And before you ask according to DVS in the story the Sox are going to play a man short for the length of his suspension.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/8/17/23835674/white-sox-tim-anderson-to-begin-serving-suspension-friday

Regarding that bizarre Sox "philosophy" on playing a man or two short this is what I was told over the winter for what it is worth:

“The White Sox playing shorthanded started in 2007 when Jermaine Dye got hurt and Kenny Williams refused to call up Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. Maybe they were cheap, maybe they wanted to protect Herm’s record of keeping guys off the DL.” (Author’s Note: Herm Schneider was the Sox longtime head trainer and for years the Sox were among the league leaders in keeping players healthy.) 

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

Uhh part of the point is that you are left a man short when a guy gets suspended. 🤔 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The White Sox are certainly being run like a first class operation. </sarcasm>

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pcq said:

Uhh part of the point is that you are left a man short when a guy gets suspended. 🤔 

Reading about suspensions from Angels-Mariners 2022 which were staggered because the teams would be short of those players just like Sox-Tigers in 2000. I assume this is not the case when a guy gets 80 games for PEDs. Different rules apply. 

My understanding is that players suspended for on field incidents cannot be replaced on the roster. Players suspended for off the field actions (domestic violence, PED, etc) can be replaced. So the Sox don't even have the option to fill the roster spot on this one..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

@South Side Hit Men out of morbid curiosity what's TA's win% and his win% with Moncada, if you still have those on hand?

I will offer up year end and career TWTW (The Will To Win) scores for the entire team at the conclusion of the season. Game avoidance these remaining six weeks should be a goal of players looking to improve their TWTW scores. :D 

However, both Tim and Yoan are still outperforming the team both during their career and this season.

Current overall record 48-73 .397

• Tim Anderson (In 41-51 .446 vs. Out 7-22 .241)
  • Yoan Moncada (In 26-31 .456 vs. Out 22-42 .344)

Jake Burger (-15) wasn't the TWTW panacea (Final 2023 score In 35-53 .398 vs. Out 8-11 421).

TWTW > fWAR, at least for Hawk

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I will offer up year end and career TWTW (The Will To Win) scores for the entire team at the conclusion of the season. Game avoidance these remaining six weeks should be a goal of players looking to improve their TWTW scores. :D 

However, both Tim and Yoan are still outperforming the team both during their career and this season.

Current overall record 48-73 .397

• Tim Anderson (In 41-51 .446 vs. Out 7-22 .241)
  • Yoan Moncada (In 26-31 .456 vs. Out 22-42 .344)

Jake Burger (-15) wasn't the TWTW panacea (Final 2023 score In 35-53 .398 vs. Out 8-11 421).

TWTW > fWAR, at least for Hawk

The absolute madlads.

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

My understanding is that players suspended for on field incidents cannot be replaced on the roster. Players suspended for off the field actions (domestic violence, PED, etc) can be replaced. So the Sox don't even have the option to fill the roster spot on this one..

100% true

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

They will probably hold onto Elvis for some reason.

I’d IL Eloy unless he can for certain play this weekend, or send Sheets down.

Would want Thompson available with the large outfield plus Roberts’ recent time off.

I agree Elvis likely stays through year end, Hahn trying to avoid 100 Ls.

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

I’d IL Eloy unless he can for certain play this weekend, or send Sheets down.

Would want Thompson available with the large outfield plus Roberts’ recent time off.

I agree Elvis likely stays through year end, Hahn trying to avoid 100 Ls.

Yeah, if you think you have to IL ELoy, do that otherwise send down Sheets. He has no business being on an MLB roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1