Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

8 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

I was listening to Bernstein and Holmes talk about this and the way they were talking about it was that there's no way new ownership keeps them in Chicago, because this is a real estate speculation thing and Chicago is already too developed. 

Maaaybe the only way they stay is if they partner with the Bears in Arlington Heights for a dual complex that has both a football and Baseball stadium. 

Please that town Bearly wants football much less some smelly Sox. They will run the Sox out of town just like Bloomingdale did. 

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Please that town Bearly wants football much less some smelly Sox. They will run the Sox out of town just like Bloomingdale did. 

The Bears land acquisition was historic but not totally unique. Does anyone remember Maywood Park?? It is now an Amazon center. Could have put an airport in there while Uncle Jer was picking a cigar out of his butt. 

24 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

I was listening to Bernstein and Holmes talk about this and the way they were talking about it was that there's no way new ownership keeps them in Chicago, because this is a real estate speculation thing and Chicago is already too developed. 

Maaaybe the only way they stay is if they partner with the Bears in Arlington Heights for a dual complex that has both a football and Baseball stadium. 

The odds of the White Sox leaving Chicago are much less than them staying in Chicago, period. Like, sure, there's a CHANCE, but not a very big one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vacheron said:

in 05 the vast majority of the third largest city in the country had eyes on the White Sox. 

The night the Sox won the World Series, it was pretty easy to buy a drink in Lincoln Park

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Um, Chicago is already too developed? What? The West Loop maybe, downtown maybe, but there is a whole lot of empty real estate on the South and West sides. Sox Park sits in a sea of undeveloped parking lots FFS! 

Maybe that sentiment is true from a pure speculation standpoint, but there is a real lack of imagination with that mentality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Distance isn't as importance as television rights, especially if there are regional packages to air Atlanta games in Nashville.

Washington is really screwed with Baltimore owning their own rights and getting a substantial portion of Washington Local TV revenue. Oakland was limited in terms of San Jose and other stadium possibilities with the Giants' substantial regional rights.

Think Nashville is more likely as an expansion with the large fee plus a reimbursement to Atlanta included. Baltimore is the one exception, can sell Washington their Baltimore rights and use the funds to reimburse Atlanta, more or less.

The other factor is the Sox own their cable television network. Sure they can establish one in Nashville, but their Chicago holding here which Jerry owns 75% of will take a massive dive in value with no replacement April - September programing.

Can't see Jerry wanting to sell the team and not knowing / controlling what will happen to his network, including what will happen if a lot of carriers drop with a lack of programing for 6 months a year. Many passed on carrying the Cubs Network for the same reason (high costs, half the year live programing). Have to think Jerry will want to sell the Sox portion, and the new owner would want that portion unless they are buying with the intention to relocate. So Jerry is motivated to sell to an owner that intends to stay.

FWIW, it appears that Nashville is not exclusively covered by any one team. In terms of blackout restrictions, it is considered within the range of both Atlanta and Cincinnati. That could make it more difficult for either team to claim that they were losing part of their market if any team moved to Nashville (including future expansion).

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-blackout-restrictions-map-2023-baseball-games/m843wsljyvrrdmf50zjhusre

Maybe Im way off kilter but we all know a lot of cub fans despise us and are elated that we may move from the area, but dont they realize that having 2 competing MLB teams in Chicago actually helps them? If one team leaves it hardly incentives the other team to field a competitive team. OTOH its the cubs and they rule the roost in Chicago regardless 

21 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Um, Chicago is already too developed? What? The West Loop maybe, downtown maybe, but there is a whole lot of empty real estate on the South and West sides. Sox Park sits in a sea of undeveloped parking lots FFS! 

Maybe that sentiment is true from a pure speculation standpoint, but there is a real lack of imagination with that mentality.

Lol I would have been so embarrassed listening to them try to talk through that

1 minute ago, The Grinder said:

Maybe Im way off kilter but we all know a lot of cub fans despise us and are elated that we may move from the area, but dont they realize that having 2 competing MLB teams in Chicago actually helps them? If one team leaves it hardly incentives the other team to field a competitive team. OTOH its the cubs and they rule the roost in Chicago regardless 

This is nonsense. Most owners now actually just want to win because they bought a baseball team. 

We all know the major league sports is more business than sports. But right now, I don't care about talk about Nashville or a new stadium. The White Sox stink right now, and they are stinking to the heights of historic proportions. I'm not hearing anything about improving the product on the field. I am one that thinks this team stink for a long time. They don't deserve any kind of new stadium or sweetheart deal somewhere else.

When JR's group bought the team in 1981, he said he had to have a new stadium to compete. 10 years later he got one. Attendance was great. But then there was 1994 and everything went to hell, including the team's performance on the field.

Since 2005, the White Sox have won a grand total of three playoff games. Turn that around and we can talk about some dumb ass new stadium. Otherwise, sell the team to someone who can make money and win at the same time. That would be a novel idea, wouldn't it? Try it sometime, JR.

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

For all those worried the Sox may move to Nashville, it isn't going to happen in JR's time. If it was so easy to move, a couple of teams would have been there for years, and there is no way the AL will abandon Chicago like they would Oakland or Tampa. 

Compromise: Just move TA and Moncada to Nashville and call it a day. Problem solved. 

• Like 1

I know a lot here don't think the Sox will leave Chicago due to market size, history, etc. etc. however I wouldn't write it off.

The southeast is absolutely booming in terms of population growth and Illinois is ranked 47th/48th (depending what source you look at) out of 50 in growth and is actually currently losing residents.

Over the next 35 years Tennessee is expected to have a 27.5% increase in population vs. Illinois 3.6%. Nashville itself is expected to grow 56.1% by 2060.

Anyone investing billions on purchasing a team is definitely going to factor in future population trends to their decision.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I moved to NC a year and a half ago. 1 year in Raleigh and now near Charlotte. The first thing I noticed was how much new construction is going up. It actually blew my mind. Nothing like IL/Chicago area. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Folks the reason we hear Nashville is because they have a blue ribbon panel of overpaid pencil pushers like Dan O'Dowd and Steve Phillips ? eg being paid to shout out the name every chance they get like castratas on high. Exemplars only. 

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I know a lot here don't think the Sox will leave Chicago due to market size, history, etc. etc. however I wouldn't write it off.

The southeast is absolutely booming in terms of population growth and Illinois is ranked 47th/48th (depending what source you look at) out of 50 in growth and is actually currently losing residents.

Over the next 35 years Tennessee is expected to have a 27.5% increase in population vs. Illinois 3.6%. Nashville itself is expected to grow 56.1% by 2060.

Anyone investing billions on purchasing a team is definitely going to factor in future population trends to their decision.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I moved to NC a year and a half ago. 1 year in Raleigh and now near Charlotte. The first thing I noticed was how much new construction is going up. It actually blew my mind. Nothing like IL/Chicago area. 

So where to next when they finish pillaging Santa Fe, Flagstaff or El Paso? How about Baja and we can reverse the migration trends. 

9 minutes ago, pcq said:

Folks the reason we hear Nashville is because they have a blue ribbon panel of overpaid pencil pushers like Dan O'Dowd and Steve Phillips ? eg being paid to shout out the name every chance they get like castratas on high. Exemplars only. 

The Orioles and Brewers have also threatened to move to Nashville. JR will be the 3rd banana. Sounds about right.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Beast said:

Fine to leave the G Spot, but not fine to leave Chicago. The Nashville White Sox wouldn’t be the same, I’d be pissed like the A’s fans and probably couldn’t remain a fan without a Chicago connection. And I don’t see how the team gets contracted, they aren’t the Expos.

The Expos didn’t get contracted.  They moved.

20 hours ago, Quin said:

Serious post:

If Reinsdorf were to fucking move the Sox away from the fucking South Side of Chicago it would be such a God damn betrayal to the fans of an original American League team.

He's already made us endure s%*# show after s%*# show and because his fairytale ending with TLR didn't work because they didn't go all in, he'll take it out on a die-hard fanbase.

The absolute audacity of the man.

Why does the site bleep out the word s%*# but f—- bombs are deemed ok?