Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

They also set up the concert stage. So even well after the game.

That’s bizarre too, there’s no way it went more than an hour before someone reported “hey there was a gunshot in the bleachers people are bleeding and police are flooding in wE might not be able to do the concert?”

3 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Pretty light graze wounds. Only one of the 3 people went to the hospital. The others declined ems. The time is on some preliminary notifications starting to pop up. 

Sounded like one of them was beyond a graze wound, but maybe I didn’t hear the scanner correctly.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, it’s going to look fucking horrible if there was a shooting in the park and they kept playing.  Even if it was an accidental discharge, the fact a gun was allowed inside should have resulted in an immediate shut down of the game.  Brooks Boyer must be working like crazy behind the scenes to come up with a story that doesn’t make our org look like completely fucking idiots.

I’d wait until tomorrow to see if this makes any sense somehow, but if you were there, you should at least send an angry message to them. I’m not sure if you’d have a case to contact a lawyer for that, maybe?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, it’s going to look fucking horrible if there was a shooting in the park and they kept playing.  Even if it was an accidental discharge, the fact a gun was allowed inside should have resulted in an immediate shut down of the game.  Brooks Boyer must be working like crazy behind the scenes to come up with a story that doesn’t make our org look like completely fucking idiots.

Especially in a meaningless game with a score that basically meant the game was over by 8:00.

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

My wife just said "it happened during the game and Benetti didn't say anything about it?!?"

I told her it wasn't anything important like busting some kids running in the upper deck or someone with too big of a bag of popcorn, so he let it slide.

He wasn't even there, so there's that, too.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but someone bleeding out on the ground would likely cause a bit of commotion

Again, not all gunshots look the same depending on a lot of variables including the caliber and location of gunshot. I’m guessing this one was probably smaller caliber. Could easily be that this person more or less grazed themselves (and possibly through and through). Maybe on the foot or hand. That could be covered up or even appear to a person they walk by to be a more minor injury like a cut from glass or a fist fight. The other injured people could be from a shard of the ricochet bullet or concrete.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There still the more than slightly big issues of the game continuing and how someone got a gun into the park.

Look, I’m gonna tell you something you probably don’t want to hear. But that likely wasn’t even close to the only gun in that stadium.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Again, not all gunshots look the same depending on a lot of variables including the caliber and location of gunshot. I’m guessing this one was probably smaller caliber. Could easily be that this person more or less grazed themselves (and possibly through and through). Maybe on the foot or hand. That could be covered up or even appear to a person they walk by to be a more minor injury like a cut from glass or a fist fight. The other injured people could be from a shard of the ricochet bullet or concrete.

Look, I’m gonna tell you something you probably don’t want to hear. But that likely wasn’t even close to the only gun in that stadium.

I don’t know man, I seriously doubt many people try to sneak their guns into a Sox game.  How would you plan to get a pistol through a metal detector?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know man, I seriously doubt many people try to sneak their guns into a Sox game.  How would you plan to get a pistol through a metal detector?

I don’t intend to give a lesson on how to circumvent a metal detector haha. But I will say that they are not foolproof and a lot depends on the quality of the person doing the job. Many people, some with good intentions and some with bad, will carry their gun everywhere they go.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They might challenge that 1.3 million attendance low after all...

And this is just going to energize those who want to move to another park or even another city.

Probably run out highlights of Ligue incident as well.

They are already past it, about 1.6M, as paid attendance regardless of whether anyone actually goes.

Next year might be a different story with Tony Getz and Moore in charge.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I turned on WGN news as soon as I saw this and there was no mention of this. That combined with the lack of cell phone video that generally accompanies such incidents leads me to believe this didn't happen.

Corporate & NFP (WTTW, WBEZ, Sun Times) media is worthless, they intentionally downplay crime, advocate for lenient to no accountability over the past few decades. Same with sports coverage or just about everything else.

CWB Chicago is solid for actual crime reporting, 16th & 17th Police Scanner (named for police districts, I live in 016) is legit as well, though hope Twitter at some point reorders posts for people not logged in sequentially or that nitter (a shell to view twitter posts) returns to functionality.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Brooks should have been fired before or at the same time as Hahn and Kenny.

• Like 1

There were false reports of shooting at Jerry's United Center a few weeks ago, but some attendees took the time to loot the merchandise.

Few security working at the Cell these days, Jerry be broke,

I'll post video of the shooting or aftermath if I come across tonight/tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There were false reports of shooting at Jerry's United Center a few weeks ago, but some attendees took the time to loot the merchandise.

Few security working at the Cell these days, Jerry be broke,

I'll post video of the shooting or aftermath if I come across tonight/tomorrow.

Lol oh man, this city is a national embarrassment.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The White remain radio silent.  Maybe they’re hoping if they simply ignore the story, the news will quickly go away…lol.

Jerry is safe sleeping in Highland Park. Minimizing / quelling any coverage to minimize impact on future revenue is the priority and primary concern of

• SVP Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer Brooks Boyer,
  • SVP Stadium Operations Terry "Technical Difficulties" Savarise
  • SVP Communications Scott Reifert
  • Management in Park Operations / Security.

Will be interesting to follow this. Should be a huge story. Remember the old story true or not about a bullet from Cabrini Green hitting a seat at old Comiskey? That was a huge story or wives tale but got a lot of attention.

This ... massive news. Let's see if it gets covered at all. I already saw a news video report on it where the reporter seemed frustrated no news yet provided reporters.

This shooting, inside the park during a game, should be unprecedented. Can't ever recall this happening. For the Sox to continue the game, inexcusable!! This is huge news. Let's see what develops. What the police say happened. If there were live bullets fired, Sox should be ashamed. Got to clear the stadium unless they are sure they apprehended the shooter.

• Fire 1

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)
  • Kyyle23 locked this topic
  • Kyyle23 unlocked this topic