Looking for any positives

Chimpton

Amidst all the doom and gloom of a disaster season and the depressing search for a new GM I just thought I would look for any positives I could find.

• Luis Robert- not much really needs saying here, he is the best player on the team, can he still improve?
  • Lenyn Sosa- are we finally seeing what he could do at MLB level? Or is he just having a good spell when the pressure is off at the end of the season?

Apart from that I can't really see many positives about the MLB team, but any positives anyone has from the minors or any I have missed?

13 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Amidst all the doom and gloom of a disaster season and the depressing search for a new GM I just thought I would look for any positives I could find.

• Luis Robert- not much really needs saying here, he is the best player on the team, can he still improve?
  • Lenyn Sosa- are we finally seeing what he could do at MLB level? Or is he just having a good spell when the pressure is off at the end of the season?

Apart from that I can't really see many positives about the MLB team, but any positives anyone has from the minors or any I have missed?

Nobody involved in the Vanilla Ice pre-concert "fat rolls" bleachers shooting was seriously injured...and the national impact of the news to this point seems to be fairly muted.

Jessie Scholtens.

Was going to mention Clevinger as a sort of positive...but now the positive's being potentially shifted to "$5.5 million cost savings" for JR and the BoD.  Which invariably won't be plugged right back into the 2024 team payroll/budget.

• Thanks 1

Luis Robert - Nuff said.

Hahn's last gasp as GM actually replenished the farm nicely.  There are some very interesting guys added to a few hopeful future stars (Montgomery, Schultz).  And let's pause a moment to appreciate the fleecing of the Angels...although that seems more like the Angels making a pretty bad trade.

Jesse Scholtens, Gregory "Sleepy" Santos

Lenyn Sosa has looked really good since coming back up.  2B should be his to lose next season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Luis Robert - Nuff said.

Hahn's last gasp as GM actually replenished the farm nicely.  There are some very interesting guys added to a few hopeful future stars (Montgomery, Schultz).  And let's pause a moment to appreciate the fleecing of the Angels...although that seems more like the Angels making a pretty bad trade.

Jesse Scholtens, Gregory "Sleepy" Santos

Lenyn Sosa has looked really good since coming back up.  2B should be his to lose next season.

Needs at least thirty more games and that has been a mirage in numerous past seasons where Sept success didn't becomes a springboard to future April competitive at bats.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Needs at least thirty more games and that has been a mirage in numerous past seasons where Sept success didn't becomes a springboard to future April competitive at bats.

But at least he doesn't look completely lost like he did when called up before.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, he definitely needs to show sustained success.  But, he looked pretty lost and overpowered previously.  Let him get the majority of the starts at 2B going forward and see what he can do in ST.

• Like 1

Not a lot to get excited about, even Robert could be better as he has 34 homers but only 69 runs batted in, of course people ahead of him especially Anderson aren’t getting on base which hurts but Vaughn has almost as many RBI with only 16 homers and a lower batting average. Robert has been outstanding in Centerfield and might win a Gold Glove. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

• Moncada may be finally healthy, and is hitting much better than at any time since before he was first injured in mid April (.889 OPS vs. .753 in August).
  • Eloy has only missed 4 consecutive games twice since June, though he like most White Sox need to perform significantly better.
  • Benintendi finally has hit a few home runs, and may possibly hit 10 or more in future seasons, making the best out of a bad situation.
  • Gregory Santos and Jesse Scholtens have outperformed expectations entering the season, and may be valuable contributors on future teams.
  • Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn are gone.
  • There is a chance Tony La Russa and or Dayton Moore will not serve the White Sox in an official capacity, Tony after his initial contract expires in October.
  • Everyday we are another day closer to having a new owner of the Chicago White Sox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • Moncada may be finally healthy, and is hitting much better than at any time since before he was first injured in mid April (.889 OPS vs. .753 in August).
  • Eloy has only missed 4 consecutive games twice since June, though he like most White Sox need to perform significantly better.
  • Benintendi finally has hit a few home runs, and may possibly hit 10 or more in future seasons, making the best out of a bad situation.
  • Gregory Santos and Jesse Scholtens have outperformed expectations entering the season, and may be valuable contributors on future teams.
  • Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn are gone.
  • There is a chance Tony La Russa and or Dayton Moore will not serve the White Sox in an official capacity, Tony after his initial contract expires in October.
  • Everyday we are another day closer to having a new owner of the Chicago White Sox.

I did nearly include Moncada in the list as he seems good at the moment, but it very much depends if his back problems are actually sorted or just temporarily less of an issue. His contract aside, having a fit and healthy Moncada next season playing like this will be very useful.

Eloy's fitness will always be an issue but he has been better this season.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

I did nearly include Moncada in the list as he seems good at the moment, but it very much depends if his back problems are actually sorted or just temporarily less of an issue. His contract aside, having a fit and healthy Moncada next season playing like this will be very useful.

I haven't watched much but a few innings here and there, but Moncada looks a lot better recently.  His defense is as good as ever, if not better, and he's looked much more in control at the plate.  He'll be part of the team next season, so if this is the guy we'll have patrolling 3B, that's fine.

9 hours ago, Chimpton said:

One day we will all die and be ridden of our allegiance to this team. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Not a lot to get excited about, even Robert could be better as he has 34 homers but only 69 runs batted in

This has nothing to do with u, u are a good poster. just my general snark. Why mention RBIs? That's a stat I thought didn't matter anymore in the moneyball age. Abreu's RBIs always meant nothing I thought.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This has nothing to do with u, u are a good poster. just my general snark. Why mention RBIs? That's a stat I thought didn't matter anymore in the moneyball age. Abreu's RBIs always meant nothing I thought.

I’m an oldster and IIRC they still give out the Triple Crown Award for the guy  who has the highest batting average, most homers and most RBI’s. Those are the stats that I still look at but I also think OPS says a lot too.
For the life of me I have no idea how WAR is figured and actually don’t care.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Still not an 800 hitter even after today's 4/5.