It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

18 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Deep cut.

I loved that movie, but still a distant second to Muppet Christmas Carol.

Yea I knew it was a joke for a specific group that watched it growing up lol.  That’s probably the best running gag in the movie lol

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic
On 9/6/2023 at 2:02 PM, Snopek said:

Getz: “And once again, I look forward to sitting down with our players and learn more about how things are being taught to them. Perhaps there are some different ways and ideas to effectively get our club in a direction it needs to go.”

Cool. Good thing we cut corners to get the guy that will hit the ground running. Surely an outsider couldn't do this.

Wasn’t he the one I charge of the teaching? I really want them to get better but this just strikes me as someone in way over their head. You’re right, no way does this get fixed quickly, just wasting more time with another JR suck hole.

• Thanks 1

The Athletic interviewed Dave Wilder. First interview he's given since he was fired/jailed. Some not so surprising comments within.

https://theathletic.com/4853621/2023/09/12/white-sox-exec-bonus-skimming/

What was your reaction to the news that the White Sox had fired Williams and Hahn, two men you worked with?

Long overdue. I’ve been thinking the last six or seven years: is he asleep up there? Jerry. Because people are talking about dysfunction and that’s been going on for a long time. 

They hired Tony LaRussa, with his background … if Dusty had had 2 DUIs, how would the media have treated him (when they hired him in Houston)? They would have had to have a different manager. There would be protests outside. How do you get hired after your (second) DUI? 

The culture starts with the owner. Not many people know that every time Kenny had to do something he had to go into Jerry’s office and ask permission.

So Reinsdorf was a hands-on owner, in your opinion?

He sat in on everything. And if he didnt, every meeting they’d take notes and give it to Jerry. Minor league coaches, every Latin or Black coach I wanted to bring in, Jerry would — if they weren’t from the White Sox — usually not be interested. In any business you have, if you have someone who has been successful, I want their ideas. He never asked for ideas. He never said, ‘Dave, you were with Atlanta, what were they doing?’ He was too smart. Nothing has changed.

It was Rick and Kenny to some extent, they don’t have the ability to put together a team the proper way. But the only way they had was the “White Sox Way.” They used to talk about that (White Sox Way) all the time.

We had the owner who doesn’t know s— about baseball telling guys what to do. So the right guys got fired, but if I’m the owner of the team and it’s dysfunctional, it comes down on me. 

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The Athletic interviewed Dave Wilder. First interview he's given since he was fired/jailed. Some not so surprising comments within.

https://theathletic.com/4853621/2023/09/12/white-sox-exec-bonus-skimming/

Those comments by him dovetail with what I've been told exactly. It starts at the top, it starts and ends with Jerry. Until he's gone they are simply spinning their wheels. 

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jerry should sell the team immediately if he’s so incompetent that Dave Wilder feels entitled to rip him.

🤣 "I wouldn't have stolen anything if the guy didn't suck so bad and wouldn't have noticed"

• Haha 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

stevenandalangc3.jpg 

I know JR needs to sell, but Dave Wilder? This guy still doesn’t get why he can’t get a job in baseball. KW is probably an asshole, but he’s supposed to be friendly with this guy after how bad he made KW look for having so much faith in him? Dave Wilder is delusional. If the Sox were so bad, and he so talented, why was he working for them and not a team more deserving of his ability? And since JR doesn’t allow minority outsiders on his payroll, how was he ever hired , let alone promoted, in the first place?

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wow so Jerry has decided to give white guys an easier path than minorities? Who would have guessed that.

Jerry has flouted the Selig Rule pretty blatantly with La Russa and Getz, but they've had high ranking minority employees for a long time.

Like yeah, I get that Willie Harris was done dirty and Getz was a farce. But I really don't understand this. 4 of the past 6 managers were minorities. The top exec for two decades was Black. Darryl Boston is coated in Teflon.

Hell, Wilder was replaced by Paddy, so it's not like he was replaced by a white guy.

If you're looking to rage against anyone, look north to the Ricketts family and Papa Joe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

Jerry has flouted the Selig Rule pretty blatantly with La Russa and Getz, but they've had high ranking minority employees for a long time.

Like yeah, I get that Willie Harris was done dirty and Getz was a farce. But I really don't understand this. 4 of the past 6 managers were minorities. The top exec for two decades was Black. Darryl Boston is coated in Teflon.

Hell, Wilder was replaced by Paddy, so it's not like he was replaced by a white guy.

If you're looking to rage against anyone, look north to the Ricketts family and Papa Joe

Carter Hawkins' school in Atlanta...

"Westminster was founded by Atlanta's leaders as a learning community rooted in Christian values and wholesome intensity. Since 1951, our students have been ..."

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

stevenandalangc3.jpg 

Man, you have certainly chosen your hill haha.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Carter Hawkins' school in Atlanta...

"Westminster was founded by Atlanta's leaders as a learning community rooted in Christian values and wholesome intensity. Since 1951, our students have been ..."

What?

On 9/6/2023 at 5:02 AM, chetkincaid said:

Keeping costs low as JR prepares to sell the team. That’s what I think is going on. JR isn’t dumb so he has to see that there’s no way this team can compete next year. 

This wisdom appears around here every few years and he never sells the team.  Gotta be right sometime, law of averages or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

This wisdom appears around here every few years and he never sells the team.  Gotta be right sometime, law of averages or something like that.

Feel like it's kind of similar to the situation the Angels are going to be in....second team in the market, likely losing Ohtani and Trout (either a trade or albatross contract if he can't stay healthy), was considering selling the team a year ago and then reversed his decision (Moreno).