The press conference thread

bmags

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was talking about the TV app. SO if you have a smart TV should be easy to find the MLB app. Doesn't cost anything . you just need a MLB.com user name and password if I remember correctly since I've had it forever.

Some stuff isnt in it like the Ohtani and 10 yr contracts for pitchers  comments because those comments weren't a part of the televised content. Those were earlier questions to JR. He didn't take questions at the press conference.

I don't have smart tv, but downloaded the app on the phone (and have a log in from a previous year).

• I looked under White Sox podcasts, (Team Podcasts) and it's just Len and Jason
  • I looked under my highlights and only found a 1:57 clip of Getz.

If it's not the same (TV vs. Phone), I'll just play the audio from the Score

Score: https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/authors/parkins-spiegel-show

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't have smart tv, but downloaded the app on the phone (and have a log in from a previous year).

• I looked under White Sox podcasts, (Team Podcasts) and it's just Len and Jason
  • I looked under my highlights and only found a 1:57 clip of Getz.

If it's not the same (TV vs. Phone), I'll just play the audio from the Score

Score: https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/authors/parkins-spiegel-show

OK my TV app is specifically geared for White Sox content although it has highlights of every game played every day and more MLB content. I have no idea if you can do that with the phone app since i don't use the phone app.

Smarts TV's even 4K 50 inchers are very cheap if you don't mind a no name brand like TCL. They never give me any problems . Probably could get one for under $300.00

For podcasts such as CHGO with Vinnie Duber I use the youtube app and subscribe to their content , again on my smart TV youtube app.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Can’t wait for Jerry to cost the Sox a draft pick with his Ohtani comment 

He just depressed a newly-vibrant Ohtani market.

Tampering.  Collusion.

If we forfeit a draft pick...even more money can be saved, right?

Or do they still have the same amount to allocate over the remaining picks?

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, Spumoni said:

"It became clear that Chris would be a major candidate as well as these outside candidates. Then I realized that if I brought someone in from the outside it’s going to take them a year. He’s going to have to evaluate everyone in the organization.”

Jesus Christ....  F*** off Jerry

That can't be a real quote. Please tell me you made that up.

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

That can't be a real quote. Please tell me you made that up.

This is the full quote. 

“When I came to grips with the idea of that idea that maybe I needed to make a change, I still didn’t know if I needed to, I started to talk to everyone in the baseball department. Just wanting to know what they were observing, what needs to be changed. Chris was one of the people I talked to, I talked to a number of people in the baseball department. Then I got convinced I needed to make a change. I started thinking about who’s out there. You don’t make a change unless you know you can improve. So I pretty much know who all the potential candidates out there, and there are some good guys out there, guys that can be GM’s, guys that have been GM’s. So my first feeling was I’ll interview an internal candidate then I’ll ask permission to interview these other guys. But then it moved me to the thought of what I owe the fans. And I think I owe the fans to get better as fast as we can. Speed is of the essence. I don’t want this to be a long term proposition. In the meantime, I don’t know how many conversations I had with Chris, but it became clear to me he would be one of the major candidates, along with these outside candidates. And then when I started thinking of the speed I owe the fans, if I bring in someone from the outside, it will take them a year. He’s gonna have to evaluate everyone in the organization. So you lose a year. And here I had someone inside and very very competitive and might have been the guy if I had talked to these other guys, so I the thought was if I got a guy on the inside that can do the job, why not do it inside and save a year.”

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is the full quote. 

“When I came to grips with the idea of that idea that maybe I needed to make a change, I still didn’t know if I needed to, I started to talk to everyone in the baseball department. Just wanting to know what they were observing, what needs to be changed. Chris was one of the people I talked to, I talked to a number of people in the baseball department. Then I got convinced I needed to make a change. I started thinking about who’s out there. You don’t make a change unless you know you can improve. So I pretty much know who all the potential candidates out there, and there are some good guys out there, guys that can be GM’s, guys that have been GM’s. So my first feeling was I’ll interview an internal candidate then I’ll ask permission to interview these other guys. But then it moved me to the thought of what I owe the fans. And I think I owe the fans to get better as fast as we can. Speed is of the essence. I don’t want this to be a long term proposition. In the meantime, I don’t know how many conversations I had with Chris, but it became clear to me he would be one of the major candidates, along with these outside candidates. And then when I started thinking of the speed I owe the fans, if I bring in someone from the outside, it will take them a year. He’s gonna have to evaluate everyone in the organization. So you lose a year. And here I had someone inside and very very competitive and might have been the guy if I had talked to these other guys, so I the thought was if I got a guy on the inside that can do the job, why not do it inside and save a year.”

Translation: the Cubs are at risk of taking over the entire city and driving remaining Sox fans forever underground into hiding

Also does this mean he talked to Ken Harrelson again...or just TLR and Dayton Moore?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

They want to win next year=More 2014-16 Bullshit. 

I can't wait until they trade Montgomery, Schultz and Quero for 1-2 year rentals. 

Quero is gone.  Grifol has his catcher for the next 5 years coming from KC.  They will ride his dead corpse at C and have Selby as the backup.   The muppet corpse running the show behind the scenes traded Dansby Swanson for his old pitching coaches kid.  Whatever is in the minors is going to be traded for major leaguers.  They wont spend.  

Jerry had some interesting things to say.

Setting aside individual performances (Giolito's No Hitter, others), Jerry's pre press conference discussion was among the top 5 entertaining White Sox events over the past decade. He had more Dodgers references than White Sox (Branch Rickey, Eddie Stanky, Jackie Robinson).

Time stamps from the Parkins & Spiegel show:

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/authors/parkins-spiegel-show

A few comments I hadn't heard until now:

• "Going all the way back to Roland and Al Goldis, I wanted baseball taught in the minor leagues a certain way. Where people understood what they were doing, they understood the right thing to do in a certain situation,. And nobody ever did it right until Chris came along. And this I observed a couple of years ago, and I was thrilled with it."
  • "I wanted to give Chris as much time as possible (before FA, meetings, etc.) and I wanted to give Rick Hahn as much time as possible.
  • "Every year we send players home with a plan. This is what you gotta do. What we are going to add this year is we're going to police these plans. We're going to make sure players are following these plans."

Editor's note - This third one was my absolute favorite. Classic Jerry, classic White Sox.

• "Going forward, Tony will not have any decision making authority in the organization, but he is a tremendous asset. If Pedro wants to talk to him, if Chris wants to talk to him, they can talk to him."

This podcast includes the 25 minutes of JR with the press answering questions.

Pretty good rant by Herb Lawrence too about JR wanting to jhire Getz right away to do it fast being for the fans. Lawrence says he's doing it for himself because he doesn't have much time left.  .

I also think its pretty hilarious that he praised Getz for teaching players how to think Baseball on the field and how it's the 1st time he's ever seen it. I was what the hell if you want to teach players how to play  and think baseball better  then hire people to do it. You're the owner ! You mean all this time there was something you wanted and you never thought to hire those kind of people ?

Those people are called coaches and minor league instructors and what you are talking about is part of an organizational philosophy that should have been instituted the minute you bought the team. That's the culture you want to instill.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is the full quote. 

Thank you for typing/finding that.

I just want to say that of all the dumb s%*# I've heard White Sox representatives say, this might be the worst and dumbest thing I've ever heard, and the thing that has convinced me, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that this organization has absolutely zero chance of rising above dogshit for as long as Jerry Reinsdorf is involved with it. This is the single most hope-crushing quote I've ever seen as a baseball fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Hawk 1

13 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Quero is gone.  Grifol has his catcher for the next 5 years coming from KC.  They will ride his dead corpse at C and have Selby as the backup.   The muppet corpse running the show behind the scenes traded Dansby Swanson for his old pitching coaches kid.  Whatever is in the minors is going to be traded for major leaguers.  They wont spend.  

I bet they end up trading Quero for Salvy Perez

4 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I’m not even exaggerating when I say this, but that is the worst press conference I have ever witnessed in my entire life.  Pedro at least said all the right things when he was introduced, even if it was a bunch of false promises.  Chris had no specifics on how he will improve the org.  His entire plan is “sitting down with Pedro” and that will somehow magically fix everything.  It is so fucking clear that this f*** whispered a bunch of sweet nothings into Jerry’s ears and was able to convince to hand the ship over to him without a legitimate plan on how to fix s%*#.

Also, I can’t believe we are stuck with Pedro for another year and it’s painfully obvious that Haber will be an integral member of the front office.  Throw in the fact that they plan to compete somehow next year by doing “things” and I have never been less confident in this org in my entire life.  Chris Getz is basically a poor man’s Rick Hahn but without the ability to lawyer speak.  What a complete fucking disaster.  At least a few media members took some shots.

• Like 4

Just listened to this presser and omg this was absolute dog s%*# of a hire. The guy is clearly clearly in over his head. Why is this organizations favorite line to say “At least we play in the AL Central” I hate everyone in this organization. Your incoming GM tampering expectations early. This is going to be a huge dumpster fire. Getz saying Pedro cannot manage a big league club still trying to figure out how to manage a MLB season or whatever he said is just comical, but he is the guy for the job. Probably a worse organization hire than when they brought in Robin Ventura. Jerry clearly stated he didn’t want to fire Hahn and KW but was told to do so or something along those line (probably by TLR). Absolutely comical. 

• Like 1