JR Speaks (gasp!)...

Lip Man 1

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I thought JR said that bringing back Grifol was up to Getz, maybe I missed that Getz saying that Grifol is coming back, if he is then all bets are off and I will be one pissed off Sox fan.

Gruffaw is a dum dum. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

? from where

I’m inferring from Jerry’s comments.  Said we he had a great core in place and followed that by saying Moncada was finally returning to form.  It’s very clear to me they think can win with this positional group with minimal changes outside of adding a catcher and some role players.  I also don’t see Getz being creative enough to swing a big Yoan trade or Jerry being willing to eat his salary.

17 hours ago, Tony said:

Two key quotes:

“When I came to grips with the idea of that idea that maybe I needed to make a change, I still didn’t know if I needed to, I started to talk to everyone in the baseball department. Just wanting to know what they were observing, what needs to be changed. Chris was one of the people I talked to, I talked to a number of people in the baseball department. Then I got convinced I needed to make a change. I started thinking about who’s out there. You don’t make a change unless you know you can improve. So I pretty much know who all the potential candidates out there, and there are some good guys out there, guys that can be GM’s, guys that have been GM’s. So my first feeling was I’ll interview an internal candidate then I’ll ask permission to interview these other guys. But then it moved me to the thought of what I owe the fans. And I think I owe the fans to get better as fast as we can. Speed is of the essence. I don’t want this to be a long term proposition. In the meantime, I don’t know how many conversations I had with Chris, but it became clear to me he would be one of the major candidates, along with these outside candidates. And then when I started thinking of the speed I owe the fans, if I bring in someone from the outside, it will take them a year. He’s gonna have to evaluate everyone in the organization. So you lose a year. And here I had someone inside and very very competitive and might have been the guy if I had talked to these other guys, so I the thought was if I got a guy on the inside that can do the job, why not do it inside and save a year.”

”There were a lot of scouts that were let go by organizations that are analytics driven…and we ought to take a look if there are some gems out there we can add to our staff”

I actually think the industry definitely over corrected a bit on the scouting side and that part isn't that dumb. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m inferring from Jerry’s comments.  Said we he had a great core in place and followed that by saying Moncada was finally returning to form.  It’s very clear to me they think can win with this positional group with minimal changes outside of adding a catcher and some role players.  I also don’t see Getz being creative enough to swing a big Yoan trade or Jerry being willing to eat his salary.

That’s kinda wild to me just because it seems like the one place they feel comfy placing blame is that it’s the players that failed.

and they did. But … they also will stay the same?

4 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

There’s no road to contention any time soon. What aren’t people understanding about this? JR fucking admitted that we’re not gonna spend money on free agents, so any signing is going to be someone we’re hoping will bounce back. The only way to possibly be back into contention immediately would be to sign absolute studs to huge contracts. It’s not happening.

That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t trade some of these pieces of crap like Moncada and Anderson. People just need to understand that it’s not going to cause the team to be good.

We went from this is the year of the "Championship Window" to this! Incredible!  I'm so disgusted! They won't get a penny from me!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

That’s kinda wild to me just because it seems like the one place they feel comfy placing blame is that it’s the players that failed.

and they did. But … they also will stay the same?

If you hear them talk about “culture” issues, it sure seems like they are trying to blame the guys moved at the deadline.  And they specifically mentioned guys being unable to stay healthy and how they plan to address it.  To me, it sounds like they think this group can still win a shitty AL Central now that the cancers are all gone and with better off-season conditioning.  Perhaps I’m putting too much weight on Jerry’s comments vs. Getz’s, but I truly believe they plan to roll the dice with this core next year alongside Salvy and some bridge pitching.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saufley said:

We went from this is the year of the "Championship Window" to this! Incredible!  I'm so disgusted! They won't get a penny from me!

I walk to the park when I go to games. It’s extremely easy. A lot of times I want to go just to enjoy the weather. I’ve been to one this year, and it was free. I was going again later this month, but got rid of my ticket when Getz was announced.

I used to know several friends and relatives with various ticket packages. None of them have packages anymore. There’s one guy who I vaguely know through other people that still has a package. That is it. Don’t know what else we can do to force change. Apparently nothing.

Just in general, it's rather amazing to me how the treatment of Salvador Perez sounds so much like the treatment of Todd Frazier late in 2015. Expecting the guy to be a savior when he comes in, near complete certainty that the White Sox will go after him on the part of everyone with any connections, basically just hoping they won't dramatically overpay (the rumor in 2015 was that the deal might involve Quintana going for him).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“Look, we’re not going to be in the [Shohei] Ohtani race,

Take a 250mm investment at a 2.5bn valuation from a Japanese investment bank in exchange for 10% equity and any new advertising revenue generated in Asia, contingent on sining Ohtani.

Use the new funds to cover the first four or five years of a massive Shohei contract.

Jerry allegedly doesn’t even want to sell the team until after he dies for tax purposes, so the equity has little to no impact for  years and easily could pay for itself and then some by the time the family gets around to selling.

Minority owners lose equity, but gain short term revenue at no current cost as well as a handsome valuation bump.

Employing the greatest player of all time during any negotiation process for an extension with IFSA and ultimately as leverage to build a new ballpark can’t hurt? 

You might make a case that a few hundred million could easily swing one way or the other during the next decade of Sox Park drama which would make even the most absurd Ohtani contract projections seem reasonable.

Seems to me like you should get in the race Jerry.

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Take a 250mm investment at a 2.5bn valuation from a Japanese investment bank in exchange for 10% equity and any new advertising revenue generated in Asia, contingent on sining Ohtani.

Use the new funds to cover the first four or five years of a massive Shohei contract.

Jerry allegedly doesn’t even want to sell the team until after he dies for tax purposes, so the equity has little to no impact for  years and easily could pay for itself and then some by the time the family gets around to selling.

Minority owners lose equity, but gain short term revenue at no current cost as well as a handsome valuation bump.

Employing the greatest player of all time during any negotiation process for an extension with IFSA and ultimately as leverage to build a new ballpark can’t hurt? 

You might make a case that a few hundred million could easily swing one way or the other during the next decade of Sox Park drama which would make even the most absurd Ohtani contract projections seem reasonable.

Seems to me like you should get in the race Jerry.

Even if economically and business-wise it makes sense he absolutely will not because he simply doesn't believe any player is worth the type of money it is going to take to land him.

Remember this is the guy who told Jordan when he gave him his last contract that he would "regret" handing out this much money.

To Michael Jordan...

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Wait this was another “he actually said this”?

100%. He also said he likes the current core, Yoan is turning it around. It was chalk full of absurd things. 

I also saw that he broke a rule by publicly saying the Sox are out on Ohtani, because it can bring his value down theoretically. Bernstein thinks Tony Clark should file a grievance about those comments. I'd love if he did. 

8 minutes ago, ron883 said:

100%. He also said he likes the current core, Yoan is turning it around. It was chalk full of absurd things. 

I also saw that he broke a rule by publicly saying the Sox are out on Ohtani, because it can bring his value down theoretically. Bernstein thinks Tony Clark should file a grievance about those comments. I'd love if he did. 

Every time there’s something someone posted that we think was a joke because it’s too ridiculous he actually said it huh?

59 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm cracking up thinking about how Jerry was glamorizing David Eckstein. His favorite player in recent memory is seriously David Eckstein? That's honestly hilarious. 

I loved that he literally said David couldn’t hit, had no power, had no speed, and was a poor defender, but would “beat you” and seemed to imply that’s what he wanted out of our minor leaguers…lol.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I loved that he literally said David couldn’t hit, had no power, had no speed, and was a poor defender, but would “beat you” and seemed to imply that’s what he wanted out of our minor leaguers…lol.

Well our minor leaguers have all of that down pat except the beating you part 😂

• Haha 1