Gabe Kapler

Flash

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ah, you believe the prospects we have will be handled correctly.  Well, I hope you are right.  But what I am trying to say is yea it can be worse next June when they call up Montgomery against all advice and then we have Pedro handling our best prospect 

Yeah, I'd LIKE to think that they're going to do something intelligent with the prospects. On that, I'm willing to give Getz some benefit of the doubt. I hope he has a plan for prospects.

That's the extent of my hope for 2024, is that they figure out what to do in the minors.

(yes, that's bleak)

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, I'd LIKE to think that they're going to do something intelligent with the prospects. On that, I'm willing to give Getz some benefit of the doubt. I hope he has a plan for prospects.

That's the extent of my hope for 2024, is that they figure out what to do in the minors.

(yes, that's bleak)

I don’t to ruin your hope, I’m just basing what I think they will do on everything that I have seen for my entire life 😂

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t to ruin your hope, I’m just basing what I think they will do on everything that I have seen for my entire life 😂

Yeah.
At least I'm putting my hope in a different spot than in the past.

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Getz will be as bad as Grillfoil. He will acquire young talent that flames out and replace with veterans that burn out. 🔥 

Back to Kapler.  I kind of like him.  I know he hustled his ass off as a player, and he was big time into weightlifting when he played.  I say, offer him a coaching position.  Make him weightlifting coach, hitting coach, bench coach, etc.

11 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Back to Kapler.  I kind of like him.  I know he hustled his ass off as a player, and he was big time into weightlifting when he played.  I say, offer him a coaching position.  Make him weightlifting coach, hitting coach, bench coach, etc.

As soon as you do that...none of the players will listen to Grifol, if they were ever inclined to do so in the first place.

Montgomery might be better suited as a first baseman because of his size. His defense seems to be the major concern about bringing him up as a starting SS.

He could be a major upgrade over Vaughn because of his height stretching for throws at first, left hand bat,  and speed on the bases.

17 minutes ago, tray said:

Montgomery might be better suited as a first baseman because of his size. His defense seems to be the major concern about bringing him up as a starting SS.

He could be a major upgrade over Vaughn because of his height stretching for throws at first, left hand bat,  and speed on the bases.

0962CD8A-BE6C-466F-AD2F-A446E900E573.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Can they use steroids with impunity again? Because I feel like Kapler possibly just maybe dabbled in them on occasion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldsox said:

Why would the more accomplished Kapler, take a back seat to Grifol?

On 10/1/2023 at 6:34 AM, Dick Allen said:

Forget no other team would hire him. Now you have a year of his work to evaluate. Other than the White Sox, who would ever hire Pedro Grifol to be their manager? The fact that Getz is bringing him back shows you he knows no more than the guys who were fired. More of the same. Enjoy your final years with empty parks, and a lot of losing JR.

The bigger question is who made the decision to bring back Grifol. Was it JR or Getz? Was it strictly based on financials? Getz may have said thank you for the job and yes I will bring him back, as you say, for another year. 

51 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

The bigger question is who made the decision to bring back Grifol. Was it JR or Getz? Was it strictly based on financials? Getz may have said thank you for the job and yes I will bring him back, as you say, for another year. 

You know why the White Sox rarely ever fire coaches? Because you still have to pay them their contract. You think JR wants to pay TWO managers at once? No shot. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Can they use steroids with impunity again? Because I feel like Kapler possibly just maybe dabbled in them on occasion.

Now that you mention it, he probably did use them.  Certainly looked like it, and steroids were more prevalent then.  Still, he hustled his ass off, got the most out of his ability, etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Why would three more accomplished executives take jobs that were back seats to Getz?

Saw a story today where the Red Sox are being turned down by candidates for their opening because of instability in the front office and ownership that changes their mind over what they want every few seasons. 

7 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The team is in so much flux that I honestly don’t care who the manager is. No manager is saving this sinking ship. Suffer it out 1 more year with Pedro and this terrible roster and then bring in someone new when the team is (hopefully) revamped. 

There are some potential issues with a clueless manager. Failing to properly treat or develop or coach actual talent - this can permanently damage young players. Allowing veterans to get away with things because they’re veterans - ,could hurt their performance and trade value. Creating a permanent reaction among players because you were too dumb to know why “he’s so well spoken” isn’t a compliment to your African American assistant GM, generally “I’m just staying away from that medal bad.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:22 PM, tray said:

We need more wannabe 1B's!!

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:36 PM, Milkman delivers said:

FWIW, he at least has consistently denied it: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/21574/baseball-proguestus-giving-up-the-ped-guessing-game/

Could be telling tales of course, but that piece contains an anecdote stating that he volunteered, on camera, to take a PED test at the time in his playing career when he was quite big and teammates with known steroid users.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pcq said:

We need more wannabe 1B's!!

Yes.  Leave Vaughn alone, at least for one more season.  He's a first baseman all his life, probably, because he could hit and is slow.  What difference does it make if he is 5 11 or 6 3?  There have been other first basemen who were not tall.  How about Don Mattingly, Rod Carew, Joey Votto, Mark Grace, just for openers.  Vaughn figures to be at least a slightly better hitter in 2024.  He'll be fine.