Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

They’re absolutely comparable. TA would 100% have a deal already if he wasn’t a potential behavior liability. Someone would bet on a return to form, or the Sox would’ve picked his option up.

There are tons of weak infielders still available for teams that need them. Looking at the list, I see Longoria, Brandon Crawford, k*** Hernandez, Jean Segura, Eduardo Escobar, Amed Rosario, Andrus, Didi Gregorius, on top of notable actual good player Matt Chapman. A lot of these guys have clearly been hoping for big league contracts and at this point they're probably going to get scooped up as NRIs. Anderson is in no way unusual here, and that's entirely coming off of his negative WAR season last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

The talking heads were phenomenal live. 

The other one off the top of my head that was drastically better live was the Ramones. They played everything at 3 times the normal speed. It was something like 25 songs in 40 minutes the last time I saw the. 

Throw in Blondie and there's nothing better than the old CBGBs lineup. 

I haven't been to a lot concerts but always glad I was in the right place at the right time to see the Ramones with the Runaways opening for them at UICC back in  '78. Now it's called UIC.

Ptatc is a punk rocker ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Sox can still sign Merrifield Taylor + 6-7 more $2-3 million vets and still win the Central lol.

Should have saved the Fedde money for now.

Niche opportunity to outspend front end of market with other four Central teams now tapped out financially.😃😄😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I haven't been to a lot concerts but always glad I was in the right place at the right time to see the Ramones with the Runaways opening for them at UICC back in  '78. Now it's called UIC.

Ptatc is a punk rocker ?

Hard core punk. 

The runaways would have been priceless. I'm jealous. 

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I still think they should bring him back if he’ll go for like $5M.

And move to 2nd. 

At worse he may be the poster guy for the team's failure the past couple years. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There are tons of weak infielders still available for teams that need them. Looking at the list, I see Longoria, Brandon Crawford, k*** Hernandez, Jean Segura, Eduardo Escobar, Amed Rosario, Andrus, Didi Gregorius, on top of notable actual good player Matt Chapman. A lot of these guys have clearly been hoping for big league contracts and at this point they're probably going to get scooped up as NRIs. Anderson is in no way unusual here, and that's entirely coming off of his negative WAR season last year.

Most of these guys are closer to retirement than a contract, have multiple bad recent years, and/or haven’t had the track record Tim did before this season. None of them got into a fistfight on the field and got knocked out either, nor did they have any drama around them. If TA just had a bad season the Sox would’ve picked his option up. 

Most of these guys are closer to retirement than a contract, have multiple bad recent years, and/or haven’t had the track record Tim did before this season. None of them got into a fistfight on the field and got knocked out either, nor did they have any drama around them. If TA just had a bad season the Sox would’ve picked his option up. 

Doesn't explain Clevinger...

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Doesn't explain Clevinger...

Yes it does. He was good but has way too much baggage. Same as Bauer. TA has too much baggage for his performance level last year as well, even given the potential upside a healthy TA brings at age 30. That has been my whole point.

4 minutes ago, almagest said:

Hernandez is 32, Rosario is 28. Both had 4 WAR seasons as recently as Anderson. The thing they all have in common is not being good last year, not age. Attitude might matter a little, Getz clearly overpaid for a certain “type” of player for example, but they’re out of a job now because of bad baseball. Anderson fits well with this group.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Hernandez is 32, Rosario is 28. Both had 4 WAR seasons as recently as Anderson. The thing they all have in common is not being good last year, not age. Attitude might matter a little, Getz clearly overpaid for a certain “type” of player for example, but they’re out of a job now because of bad baseball. Anderson fits well with this group.

Rosario must have priced himself out of market as "best" available SS entering this FA market.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And the rest of the guys you mentioned besides Chapman, who was awful in the second half of this year, are all too old and bad to consider. Hernandez was worse in 2022 than TA and only played in about half the games, while Rosario was nowhere near a 4 war season by fWAR. TA has also been a much better hitter than him by wRC+. 

And the rest of the guys you mentioned besides Chapman, who was awful in the second half of this year, are all too old and bad to consider. Hernandez was worse in 2022 than TA and only played in about half the games, while Rosario was nowhere near a 4 war season by fWAR. TA has also been a much better hitter than him by wRC+. 

And Rosario has been a way better defender. 2.5 fWAR for him the last 2 years, 1.5 for Anderson. But, he had a bad 2023 and currently unemployed. There is no market for these guys regardless of attitude.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And Rosario has been a way better defender. 2.5 fWAR for him the last 2 years, 1.5 for Anderson. But, he had a bad 2023 and currently unemployed. There is no market for these guys regardless of attitude.

TA is bad but Rosario isn’t good either. He had one really good year defensively in 2022 and has been below average otherwise.

i don’t know why character concerns holding TA back is so controversial with some of you that you need to prop up ancient guys like Andrus or second division starters at best like Rosario. TA sucked last year but he’d still be a White Sox if he didn’t have personal struggles, or someone would’ve taken a flyer on him by now as a second baseman. What TA went through last year absolutely factors in if a team thinks he’ll rebound and provide good production, and it matters to their clubhouse culture. He’s not worth the gamble right now.

• Like 1

I’ll be honest - I wouldn’t mind signing TA to one year deal. Give him at bats and hope he is healthy and you can flip him at deadline. Similarly i have no issue with Whit on 1 year deal. Let him play a bit at 2B and OF…just like id have TA play some 2B and SS. 

Both would be signings with hope you could flip. Maybe not for a ton but at least something - even if it is bonus pool and draft picks. Reality is with TA if he is healthy and bounced back - you are taking a flyer on someone who would be valuable at deadline and if Whit is hitting decent a team may give you an interesting flyer or two. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I’ll be honest - I wouldn’t mind signing TA to one year deal. Give him at bats and hope he is healthy and you can flip him at deadline. Similarly i have no issue with Whit on 1 year deal. Let him play a bit at 2B and OF…just like id have TA play some 2B and SS. 

Both would be signings with hope you could flip. Maybe not for a ton but at least something - even if it is bonus pool and draft picks. Reality is with TA if he is healthy and bounced back - you are taking a flyer on someone who would be valuable at deadline and if Whit is hitting decent a team may give you an interesting flyer or two. 

Best post of the offseason. I think Sox are a better team with Whit and TA and like u said, Sox could flip 'em after a couple months if the team blows. It's just $$ though and sounds like our guys aren't interested in spending $$ at this time. ... Spring training is upon us. Are teams willing to sign guys after this Sunday? Seems time has run out on shaping rosters. It's time for spring baseball.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

14 hours ago, almagest said:

TA is bad but Rosario isn’t good either. He had one really good year defensively in 2022 and has been below average otherwise.

i don’t know why character concerns holding TA back is so controversial with some of you that you need to prop up ancient guys like Andrus or second division starters at best like Rosario. TA sucked last year but he’d still be a White Sox if he didn’t have personal struggles, or someone would’ve taken a flyer on him by now as a second baseman. What TA went through last year absolutely factors in if a team thinks he’ll rebound and provide good production, and it matters to their clubhouse culture. He’s not worth the gamble right now.

Weren't the Guardians in the playoffs with Rosario getting starter's at-bats in 2022?  92-70 and took down the Yankees almost.

Sure, he's by def a complimentary and highly streaky player...but you put him not far off Juan Uribe level when he's impacting the game with Xbox hits and stolen bases.

Dodgers usually make decent choices...he just was down last year, not unlike most CLE hitters outside of Ramirez and Naylor.

Edited by caulfield12

I really thought TA would have been signed by now.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox bring him back on a one year couple million dollar deal.  Have him play SS and 2B.  If he can get even close to what he used to be, he could be flipped at the deadline, as others have mentioned.  I still believe his poor performance last year was more due to his off-field issues.

14 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I really thought TA would have been signed by now.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox bring him back on a one year couple million dollar deal.  Have him play SS and 2B.  If he can get even close to what he used to be, he could be flipped at the deadline, as others have mentioned.  I still believe his poor performance last year was more due to his off-field issues.

I'd be surprised. They've moved on from Toxic personalities if you hadn't noticed.

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

Have to wonder if any team came close to offering Clevinger even $8-10 million at this point...Bauer is understandable enough, but the character concerns on Gold Digger are going to be outweighed eventually with one lower revenue team hoping to compete.

Especially considering he was better than Giolito for the majority of time last year...

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd be surprised. They've moved on from Toxic personalities if you hadn't noticed.

Yeah, that's true.  I wonder, though, if the Sox not picking up his option and no team signing him yet has humbled him?

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Weren't the Guardians in the playoffs with Rosario getting starter's at-bats in 2022?  92-70 and took down the Yankees.

Sure, he's by def a complimentary and highly streaky player...but you put him not far off Juan Uribe level when he's impacting the game with Xbox hits and stolen bases.

Dodgers usually make decent choices...he just was down last year, not unlike most CLE hitters outside of Ramirez and Naylor.

Yeah, and they traded him for broken down Syndergaard last year. Cleveland clearly didn't want him, and the Dodgers don't make that trade if they don't have injury issues. They were pretty desperate, but still didn't want to deal with TA.

Uribe is a pretty good comp for Rosario offensively. Uribe's a better defensive player though.

Edited by almagest

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/16/2024 at 10:02 AM, caulfield12 said:

Supposedly, Hahn wanted to trade Tim Anderson to the Marlins for Jake Eder but Kenny overrode him and sent Burger instead.  I have no idea if this is true but this is the rumor as I remember it.

The Marlins must be offering Anderson a cheap one year “prove it” deal so he can try to have a good season and hit free agency again.

• Quin locked this topic