Cease

Nokona

Last year his fastball was clearly down in velocity and that made all his pitches less effective. While he still had strikeouts, he also gave up a lot of hard hit balls, rivaling what he gave up as a rookie. As of right now, he’s a pitcher who will give you innings but who isn’t an elite performer in those innings. 

As an opposing GM, I am not paying the price of a guy in the Cy Young race for him because he hasn’t shown me he can be that with his lower velocity last year, and he hasn’t shown me that he can get his velocity back up.

In opposing GM mode, your offer is roughly 1 top 100 prospect (not top 50) and some decent filler pieces. 

If the White Sox’s price is higher than that, there will be other options on the FA or trade market, as there’s a good amount of FA pitching this year.

This is still a guy I hold to the trade deadline if I’m the white Sox. His value isn’t likely to drop too dramatically, it’s already gone down quite a bit so even if he gets hurt it’s not franchise changing. I would play for the upside. Hope he shows more next year. Either a restored fastball or more effectiveness with the reduced velocity, or maybe even some luck that fools a team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'm convinced Baltimore will pull the trigger this off-season. They were very interested at the deadline but our ask was too steep.

They're on the verge of breaking out, and the taste of the playoffs (only to be swept) will be enough for them to make the play.

If Baltimore is willing to trade their guys; there are likely better options in the trade market than Cease. If they’re willing to trade a big prospect, Logan Gilbert from Seattle has been about as good as Cease and has 2 more years of control than Cease. Guys like Glasnow, Burnes, and Bieber are likely available for short term guys. Blackburn from the As probably gets traded.

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Baltimore is willing to trade their guys; there are likely better options in the trade market than Cease. If they’re willing to trade a big prospect, Logan Gilbert from Seattle has been about as good as Cease and has 2 more years of control than Cease. Guys like Glasnow, Burnes, and Bieber are likely available for short term guys. Blackburn from the As probably gets traded.

You greatly underestimate Cease’s value.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You greatly underestimate Cease’s value.

The trade market mostly didn’t move last offseason for a reason, teams do not give up a prospect fortune in the offseason. There will probably be more moves this year with the weaker FA market, but I think you will be disappointed with the returns given how many guys there are available. 

This might change at the trade deadline.

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Seattle was on the cusp of the playoffs this past season, they aren't shipping off guys like Gilbert yet.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The trade market mostly didn’t move last offseason for a reason, teams do not give up a prospect fortune in the offseason. There will probably be more moves this year with the weaker FA market, but I think you will be disappointed with the returns given how many guys there are available. 

It didn't change last July when trying to move him.  Sox wanted elite, and no one bit.
  Teams rarely trade away their elite prospects - too much risk.  Preller has done it it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is gunshy now.
I think they can get a nice package for him:  a ML ready OF and a couple of prospects in the 40-120 range.

Edited by GreenSox

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Seattle was on the cusp of the playoffs this past season, they aren't shipping off guys like Gilbert yet.

Apparently they’re loaded enough with young and upcoming pitching that they might well think about it, if they got several strong position playing prospects back. 

He's worth less to the Sox and the other bottom 10 clubs than to a top 10 club. Without two top tier clubs desperately looking for a #3 or #4 to put them over the top, he won't fetch what he's worth. The Sox will get what he's worth to them, almost nothing.

They don't really need him and everyone knows it. 

On 11/4/2023 at 8:30 PM, Balta1701 said:

and let's not forget the Sox are bad a trades

We are fans of a habitual losing small market....the team should be renamed Royals East 

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

and let's not forget the Sox are bad a trades

We are fans of a habitual losing small market....the team should be renamed Royals East 

No matter how terrible the signing of Getz was, let's not yet hang the failures of his predecessors on him. 

37 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'll treat this as sarcasm.  I guess you haven't noticed the Sox are the dumpster for Royals everything.

Naw I have, I just am not ready to question moves yet when I can't say with certainty that "all trades must be bad because the White Sox might do them."

The one spot where I did say "This isn't right" wasn't that they are bringing in guys that Getz knows from other places, instead it was where Barfield seemed to think that it was his job to personally work to fix Michael Kopech, which is completely the wrong way of thinking for a guy in upper management. 

The White Sox are in a spot where, given that they have the most money in the AL Central to spend, if their GM does an "Average" job then they are going to regularly be competitive for the division. Getz could bring in a lot of guys who are "Average", and in 2 or 3 years he's got a team that wins in the low to mid 80s in a normal year and is regularly competing for the division. That they were with the Royals doesn't mean they can't do an "Average job". That they were with the Royals doesn't mean that all trades must immediately go bust.

It took years for us to understand that the reason every trade Rick Hahn made went bust was that Rick Hahn and the people around him were terrible at their jobs. And they didn't come from the Royals. 

That Barfield didn't seem to understand what the appropriate role should be for the #2 guy in the organization - that's a much worse sign than the fact that Getz knew him previously.

• Like 1

IMO, a trade between the Orioles & Sox is fairly likely.  Both sides just line up way too well.  Sounds like Angelos doesn’t want to spend a ton of money, which makes it hard to add the impact SP they need.  Meanwhile, the Sox really need to capitalize on Cease’s trade value and not risk him somehow getting injured in the first half of the season. And the Orioles’ system has so much positional depth that they can afford to give up two top 100 guys without it having a material impact on their long-term outlook.

Mayo is the guy I’d really want as the centerpiece.  While he’s only played 3B in his career, I think he could be a fit for an OF corner, especially with his arm.  If he’s an untouchable (and he might be, at least for the 2023 version of Cease), then I might be willing to pivot to Kjerstad.  Not as intriguing as Mayo, but a LH power hitter who can play RF would fill multiple massive needs.  Give me one of them plus Joey Ortiz (who is completely blocked) to fill the other middle infield spot across from Colson and I think you got the basic framework of a deal.