Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I really don't read into Tweets too much. Some people overanalyze and overreact to every single one like there is a deep meaning when its likely piggybacking off another report and/or clickbait.

It's not a tweet it's a Q&A with someone who has called a ton of these transactions in the past

1 minute ago, Quin said:

To keep us from spinning in circles, who are some teams we'd like to see jump in if things go poorly for them at the Winter Meetings? Padres, Red Sox?

Rangers, Mariners, Diamondbacks.

I could see the Yankees jumping in if they go buck wild all-in (with a soto move).

Padres are really interesting. What's their plan?

The Rangers could rival what the Orioles could offer imo.  Their system is super interesting to me. 

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Rangers, Mariners, Diamondbacks.

I could see the Yankees jumping in if they go buck wild all-in (with a soto move).

Padres are really interesting. What's their plan?

The Rangers could rival what the Orioles could offer imo.  Their system is super interesting to me. 

Unless the Rangers give up Carter, such a deal would kill @SoCalChiSox

37 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Me too, if you can get Lawler. Otherwise they can't get it to work I think. Unless you LOVE Jones.

I don't know about the specifics.  Just that I know they have a lot of good young players, their FO lineage isn't as prospect-hoggish as others, I don't think they are quite at the LAD, TBR, AB level such that we are less likely to get their foolsgold prospects, and we've made good trades with them before.

St Louis would bee fine too, as they've made mistakes trading prospects before, but I suspect that they're gun-shy and are only willing to trade out of their junk drawer, which is pretty deep in quantity.

Edited by GreenSox

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That's kind of the flipside. LAD could say "you know we don't have to have Cease, we could easily sign X pitcher for just money and if we don't do a deal now we will turn our attention to that guy instead" 

So maybe some of this is pressure by parties who have a good offer on the table trying to convince us they will pull the deal and look elsewhere soon.

BAL could not do that and CIN also could not do that because they don't spend, but the LAD could make such a credible threat.

That threat might not carry much weight if they sign Ohtani for $30-40M per year since he won't be pitching in 2024.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That threat might not carry much weight if they sign Ohtani for $30-40M per year since he won't be pitching in 2024.

They could sign another veteran to a 1 year deal (or say, Giolito to a 1 year deal with player option, similar to Rodon deal) and then Ohtani would replace said veteran.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting.  That seems like a pretty damn good package to me.  What’s your beef with the trade?

Your headliner is a bat only 1B guy DH who now adds to the unathletic types Getz swears he wants to be rid of so now you'd have, Busch , Eloy and Vaughn. Headliner has to be able to play some defense not a slow unathletic 26yr old bat only guy who adds to the pile the Sox already have. The Dodgers would love it if he headlined a trade for Cease. His bat fails he's useless.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your headliner is a bat only 1B guy DH who now adds to the unathletic types Getz swears he wants to be rid of so now you'd have, Busch , Eloy and Vaughn. Headliner has to be able to play some defense not a slow unathletic 26yr old bat only guy who adds to the pile the Sox already have. The Dodgers would love it if headlined a trade for Cease. His bat fails he's useless.

Let's not get rid of Sheets so quickly.  He's the cat with nine lives now that Leury is gone.

(Honestly think I'd rather watch Palka or Viciedo get those at-bats.  Virtually anyone in the entire org but Lee until he hits at least .230-.240 at Charlotte.)

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They could sign another veteran to a 1 year deal (or say, Giolito to a 1 year deal with player option, similar to Rodon deal) and then Ohtani would replace said veteran.

Sure they could but if they are thought to be one of the frontrunners for Cease I think they are aiming higher for 2024. Cease would fit in their budget even after signing Ohtani .

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your headliner is a bat only 1B guy DH who now adds to the unathletic types Getz swears he wants to be rid of so now you'd have, Busch , Eloy and Vaughn. Headliner has to be able to play some defense not a slow unathletic 26yr old bat only guy who adds to the pile the Sox already have. The Dodgers would love it if headlined a trade for Cease. His bat fails he's useless.

26 year old bat only...sounds familiar.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure they could but if they are thought to be one of the frontrunners for Cease I think they are aiming higher for 2024. Cease would fit in their budget even after signing Ohtani .

Someone could always go after Snell with a extremely high yearly salary but much shorter term deal...2, definitely no more than 3 or 2 plus a legit option possibility based on incentives met.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Someone could always go after Snell with a extremely high yearly salary but much shorter term deal...2, definitely no more than 3 or 2 plus a legit option possibility based on incentives met.

Snell will make as much AAV as he can for as long as he can. This is his shot . He won't settles for less than 5 years. No one does incentive based deals. That's a Reinsdorf special KW Manny Machado offer.

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Snell will make as much AAV as he can for as long as he can. This is his shot . He won't settles for less than 5 years. No one does incentive based deals. That's a Reinsdorf special KW Manny Machado offer.

Right.

Just saying from watching him quite a bit I would never invest $200+ million into him.  He has a sneaky propensity for looking better on paper than he does in reality...very very streaky, like the pitching equivalent of Carlos Lee.

Not even sure he's got three good years left.

If BAL doesn't want to trade Cowser they should strengthen the rest of the package. how about...

Kjerstad, Norby, DL Hall and Bradfield

For Cease and Santos. And I know Santos elbow could be damaged but that's a risk BAL has to take. If he's OK you got a closer on the cheap. 

BTV has this as an almost identical tradd in terms of SV.

Who says no?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your headliner is a bat only 1B guy DH who now adds to the unathletic types Getz swears he wants to be rid of so now you'd have, Busch , Eloy and Vaughn. Headliner has to be able to play some defense not a slow unathletic 26yr old bat only guy who adds to the pile the Sox already have. The Dodgers would love it if he headlined a trade for Cease. His bat fails he's useless.

I don’t view it as a Busch headliner, but rather I see Busch & Sheehan as co-headliners.  And along with them comes a very interesting RF prospect who if not for an injury last year could be as highly regarded as the others.  IMO, this deal is only possible because Busch is a 26 year old bat oriented prospect.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If BAL doesn't want to trade Cowser they should strengthen the rest of the package. how about...

Kjerstad, Norby, DL Hall and Bradfield

For Cease and Santos. And I know Santos elbow could be damaged but that's a risk BAL has to take. If he's OK you got a closer on the cheap. 

BTV has this as an almost identical tradd in terms of SV.

Who says no?

Even if they took Hall out, I’d say yes to the other 3. Bradfield would be a GREAT 3rd piece

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Don't let Jerry see my post! Packaging Moncada with Cease at the expense of prospects in return is music to his ears. 

I think you just figured out a way to cut payroll both now AND in 7 years.

A visionary, you are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic