Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I will be shocked if they go after offense, as we discussed a few days ago.  The fact they were looking at Pepiot as a headliner adds more proof.

You know...I feel like while it's acceptable for me, bmags, to want profiles, they truly should just be looking for best players back.

While i'm mostly team TINSTAAPP, it declines for pitchers who have nearly arrived (why i'm still a smith-schyver fan and think braves have a good return if it is put together).

Hahn didn't go for profiles as much as really wanted top prospects as cited by mlb pipeline so he could brag to the fans.

If you were to tell me next year Ryan Pepiot is a better pitcher than Tyler Glasnow, I would not tell you i'm shocked. However, from dodgers side I get it, at some points you don't want to risk the timing when everything else is set. For Rays, thats always the risk they'll take.

Pepiot is like the prototypical Rays pitching prospect from a decade ago where they would hold those guys forever in AAA until ripened and squeeze their prime out before discarding them. Except the whole 64 innings thing. Again, better for the rays.

I guess long way of saying, I hope they aren't solely focused on profiles. I definitely would want a bunch of top hitting, left handed prospects from the orioles. But Getz really needs to hit on the cease trade and not just accumulate, because this system is an inch deep.

• Hawk 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They didn’t trade for those 5 years of control though. It’s separate from the 1 year/$25M they traded for.

It was reported on many outlet that Glasnow trade was contingent on extension.  Without it, the deal was not going to happen.  That is also the reason for a long delay in finalizing the deal with physical and such. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

It was reported on many outlet that Glasnow trade was contingent on extension.  Without it, the deal was not going to happen.  That is also the reason for a long delay in finalizing the deal with physical and such. 

That's fair. Just not sure how much value I actually put on paying someone who can't stay on the mound $27M. I don't think that is very valuable.

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think it’s a big mistake if they don’t. Where is the offense coming from? 

Couldn’t agree more with you, but we know the Sox tend to get tunnel vision with their decision making.  They want to play like the Royals of the past with speed and defense, which is a huge mistake IMO.

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

I will be shocked if they go after offense, as we discussed a few days ago.  The fact they were looking at Pepiot as a headliner adds more proof.

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This sounds terrible to me... barf, give me the offensive prospects.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Couldn’t agree more with you, but we know the Sox tend to get tunnel vision with their decision making.  They want to play like the Royals of the past with speed and defense, which is a huge mistake IMO.

I don't think that's the longterm vision of the team.  I think this is a one year snap back for things that were so grossly ignored for so long.  They're going to add power hitters but it's going to take a little time.  This team is way too terrible to fix in one off season.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That's fair. Just not sure how much value I actually put on paying someone who can't stay on the mound $27M. I don't think that is very valuable.

That is something that the Dodgers were comfortable with since they went for the trade.  Both Cease and Glasnow had TJS, right?  Pitchers in general can get injured any time.  Not that it mattered, but I believe the Rays also sent $4 million to the Dodgers 

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think that's the longterm vision of the team.  I think this is a one year snap back for things that were so grossly ignored for so long.  They're going to add power hitters but it's going to take a little time.  This team is way too terrible to fix in one off season.

Harold you said earlier they are going to get bats in this trade.....WTF. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

Glasnow got 5 year extension which means the Dodgers have 5 to 6 years of control.  Unless Cease agrees to an extension, this is not a good comparison. 

So if Cease were to agree to a 5 year extension at say 5 years / $175M to add to the two years he’s already under control (so you have him for 7 more seasons), you believe his trade value is even higher? I’m not so sure about that.

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So if Cease were to agree to a 5 year extension at say 5 years / $175M to add to the two years he’s already under control (so you have him for 7 more seasons), you believe his trade value is even higher? I’m not so sure about that.

That is not what happened.  The Dodgers had an exclusive window for the extension.  Tampa did not extend Glasnow.  Ability for a trading team to extend a player will increase trade value.  Take Corbin Burnes for an example.  A team trading for him will give up more if he agrees to an extension with the team than not.  

7 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

That is not what happened.  The Dodgers had an exclusive window for the extension.  Tampa did not extend Glasnow.  Ability for a trading team to extend a player will increase trade value.  Take Corbin Burnes for an example.  A team trading for him will give up more if he agrees to an extension with the team than not.  

Ok, hypothetically, if the Orioles have the ability to extend Cease for 5 years / $175M as part of the trade Cease’s trade value is significantly higher?

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sounds like the Braves if we are focusing on pitching... which I hate, and don't even care much for their pitching prospects. yay

AJSS + Waldrep + Murphy would be great imo.

I think Getz realizes he’ll never be able to sign a high end FA starting pitcher so he’s going to have to draft/trade for them. It is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sounds like the Braves if we are focusing on pitching... which I hate, and don't even care much for their pitching prospects. yay

Yeah this is lame. I'd rather go with the Reds if we are going to do something stupid, assuming they are willing to part with Lowder, Petty and Jorge. 

Fucking lame

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah this is lame. I'd rather go with the Reds if we are going to do something stupid, assuming they are willing to part with Lowder, Petty and Jorge. 

Fucking lame

I like Petty but Lowder scares me as the headliner. I think an all pitching package from the Braves can beat this one from the Reds.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I like Petty but Lowder scares me as the headliner. I think an all pitching package from the Braves can beat this one from the Reds.

Anything from ATL that doesn't involve a legit LHS is weak.

And no....the fact that they don't have a legit LHS doesn't change that conclusion and is not our problem. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is a tough one for me. Getz has to strategize around his owner's spending restrictions. I'd almost rather draft/trade for pitchers and use the free agent market to fill gaps in the offense. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic