Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Just now, baseball_gal_aly said:

He had capsule surgery, the same one that killed John Danks and Johan Santana's careers. 

I'd stay far away from a pitcher coming off that surgery. 

That is a tough one to get right. The need to guess how tight to make it. Too tight and there isn't enough flexibility to get the velocity needed. Too loose and the instability and symptoms are still there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He had capsule surgery, the same one that killed John Danks and Johan Santana's careers. 

I'd stay far away from a pitcher coming off that surgery. 

I mean, you’re even more risk adverse than Balta & Parkman, so not overly surprising you feel this way.  But you got to take some risks when you’re in our position and I’d rather in a potential TOR starter who can help us in 2025 than pay for mediocrity that gets us an extra win or two in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, you’re even more risk adverse than Balta & Parkman, so not overly surprising you feel this way.  But you got to take some risks when you’re in our position and I’d rather in a potential TOR starter who can help us in 2025 than pay for mediocrity that gets us an extra win or two in 2024.

I'm fine taking risks, but a pitcher coming off that surgery seems like a bad bet. 

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I'm fine taking risks, but a pitcher coming off that surgery seems like a bad bet. 

Fair enough…I get shoulder injuries in particular are more risky.  I’d still take the gamble though as I think a year of fully recovered Woodruff (if all goes well) would be super valuable.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What are the odds of a successful surgery?

Depends on if was mostly labrum or the actual capsule.  The labrum is around 60-80% for return to prior level of performance. The actual capsular repair is below 50%.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Updated off-season plan from this point forward:

• RHP Cease to BAL for 3B/OF Mayo, IF Ortiz, & OF Beavers
  • RHP Yariel Rodriguez - 5/$40M (one year stop-gap if not him)
  • RHP Brandon Woodruff - 2/$25M ($5M in ‘24 | $20M in ‘25)
  • OF Kyle Lewis - 1/$1.5M (controllable through ‘26)
  • OF Rafael Ortega - 1/$1.0M (or similar cheap placeholder)
  • RHP Codi Heuer - 1/$1.5M (controllable through ‘25)

Lineup:

• 1B: Vaughn
  • 2B: DeJong (Ramos | Sosa | Popeye)
  • SS: Ortiz
  • 3B: Moncada# (Montgomery*)
  • LF: Benintendi*
  • CF: Robert
  • RF: Lewis (Mayo)
  • DH: Jimenez
  • CA: Stassi

Bench:

• IF: Lopez#
  • OF: Ortega*
  • UT: Gonzalez
  • BC: Lee

Rotation:

1. Soroka
  2. Fedde
  3. Kopech
  4. Rodriguez
  5. Shuster* (Nastrini | Eder* | Mena)

Bullpen:

• CL: Santos
  • SU: Crochet*
  • SU: Heuer
  • MR: Patino
  • MR: Garcia
  • MR: Drohan*
  • MR: Leasure
  • LR: Toussaint

I liked Codi Heuer when he was here. Whenever i see his name I always think of an Angels/White Sox game where I was watching the local Angels broadcast and the Angels guy said Heuer had the look of a TV/movie villain. He was right too, in that moment on the mound the dude had like an evil smile and his hat was like darkly covering half his face at that angle. It's hard to describe but they were definitely right, almost like a young Frank Gorshin or something who had the look on his face like he had concocted some diabolical plan.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Probably closer to $7M increase based on where we are today, which I think is very doable.  As for Woodruff, I don’t think anyone is giving him a four year deal coming off shoulder surgery unless the guarantee is minuscule.

We'll see. Just seems like every time we think how much a pitcher is going get, they get more.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We'll see. Just seems like every time we think how much a pitcher is going get, they get more.

Considering the Brewers weren't confident enough to "invest" in him for just 1-2 years...4 years seems pretty preposterous.

And the phobia teams like the White Sox already have with pitching injuries derailing contracts and/or costing more to insure, in general.

Edited by caulfield12

On 12/18/2023 at 2:21 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Grissom doesn't really fit any of the characteristics Getz has preached.  I'd be surprised if he is the primary return.  You can probably get that deal (Grissom, AJ S-S/Waldrep, and a lotto) in July.  There is no reason to take that now.  

He really hasn't done much in the majors:  his OBP was good in his first year, but that appears to be batting-average inflated, not supported by real power or by walks.  He's got negative returns on his defense, per fangraphs.
And as I recall, he was barely a top 100 prospect when called up, so it's not like he was one of these guys just waiting to explode.  He seems more like the 3rd piece.

31 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Not sure how true this is so take it with a grain of salt.

https://x.com/martyonfifthave/status/1737230017308873090?s=46&t=Wr6gOVOo8Za8Bnez19t84w

s%*# I thought this was Marty34 at first

Need some time to process a Pirates landing spot, even if the source is obviously questionable

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

More the merrier for sure. I do feel like Getz would prefer closer to the majors guys, tho.

Could very well be the case but it's hard to resist a 2B with a good glove that has 60 hit/60 power from the left side and had an 841 OPS in High A as a 19 year old. 

That's really really hard to say no to as it checks numerous boxes and I'm not sure he's that far away from the majors. The 2024 season is already dead and buried so I'm not sure why it would matter that he doesn't make the team next year. IMO, he seems to be on track to make the majors in 2025 at the current rate. 

And they could get a Top 100 pitcher as the second piece who is also close to MLB ready so Getz can have his precious pitching. Every constituency can get something here. The LHS supporters will be happy and the pitching centric folks can be happy too and maybe they can throw in a solid 10-20 range OFer. 

If PIT is actually willing to deal, they would be a great fit. 

49 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He really hasn't done much in the majors:  his OBP was good in his first year, but that appears to be batting-average inflated, not supported by real power or by walks.  He's got negative returns on his defense, per fangraphs.
And as I recall, he was barely a top 100 prospect when called up, so it's not like he was one of these guys just waiting to explode.  He seems more like the 3rd piece.

He had a 120 wRC+ as a 20 year old call up from AA! You guys are insane.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

The more I think about it, the more the Pirates getting Cease makes no sense.  They’re not likely competing in the next two years, and unloading their farm should be someone with significantly more years remaining on their contract.

Lots of smoke tonight about that, especially on Pirates Twitter. Don’t know if it’s an actually happening or just wishful thinking from their end though.

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Lots of smoke tonight about that, especially on Pirates Twitter. Don’t know if it’s an actually happening or just wishful thinking from their end though.

That is a quote from an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, so their beat writer definitely feels like a trade is going down soon and likely for a controllable starter.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic