Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Dick Allen said:

They won’t lose 101 with the better defense, but they will be boring, and suck, and lose over 90.

Win / Losses doesn’t matter at this point anyways with the new draft rules. I don’t want to be the Indians from the past few years where they struggle to score more than 2 runs a game but yet here we are

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just wait until Grissom isn’t involved, and it’s something like AJSS, Murphy and Hackenberg

I am slow but let me see if I comprehend this right.

Getz has a jewel everyone wants.

He proceeds to artificially limit himself to pitching because the owner is a cheapskate and because they are too stupid and/or chickenshit to understand that RF/2B/LHS is a non negotiable must.

And then after announcing his undying love for pitching he can't even pry both AJSS and Waldrep out of the deal with a desperate ATL club whose only chance to stop the LAD in the playoffs is to make this deal so they can start a stud in every playoff game.

Do I have that right?

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Have you seen the position players he’s brought in already? They are either slap hitters or players that flat out just can’t hit…

I’m still holding out hope that those guys are just intended to be cheap placeholders.  But it’s harder to believe that if Getz is all-in on pitching in a potential Cease trade.

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Win / Losses doesn’t matter at this point anyways with the new draft rules. I don’t want to be the Indians from the past few years where they struggle to score more than 2 runs a game but yet here we are

I don’t think we’re purposely tanking, but I do think Jerry is forcing budget cuts to make up for any losses he endured last year and Getz doesn’t want to spend his limited funds on C tier free agents who require multi-year deals.  In fairness to Chris, it does make sense to use 2024 as a “see what you have” type season and start pushing in some chips next off-season.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think we’re purposely tanking, but I do think Jerry is forcing budget cuts to make up for any losses he endured last year and Getz doesn’t want to spend his limited funds on C tier free agents who require multi-year deals.  In fairness to Chris, it does make sense to use 2024 as a “see what you have” type season and start pushing in some chips next off-season.

Chris knows what’s on this roster already, he’s not an outsider from a different organization. Maybe they arent trying to purposely tank because JR and TLR are old, calling the shots and think a roster like he’s currently building is the way to win however this team is in no way set to compete in 2025 as currently constructed. This is going to be very painful for the next couple years. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I am slow but let me see if I comprehend this right.

Getz has a jewel everyone wants.

He proceeds to artificially limit himself to pitching because the owner is a cheapskate and because they are too stupid and/or chickenshit to understand that RF/2B/LHS is a non negotiable must.

And then after announcing his undying love for pitching he can't even pry both AJSS and Waldrep out of the deal with a desperate ATL club whose only chance to stop the LAD in the playoffs is to make this deal so they can start a stud in every playoff game.

Do I have that right?

Nope. He is focusing on pitching because it is what is needed to win in the playoffs and the Sox have no TOR pitcher. 

Also other than a couple of no name social media posts has there been any reliable information that he is focusing on pitching? 

This we know - Hahn signed Benintendi for 50 Million in order to plug the RF spot since he is a good defender and decent LH hitter.  He was only switched to RF to make way for Colas, who, in a short stint in the major league, could not make the grade. 

So now, Benintendi should go back to playing RF.  Point is, any power hitting corner outfielder will work to compliment Benni. Sox need more HR next year despite the stated desire to make the team faster with improved defense.  Further, pitching is the first line of defense in MLB so why trade Cease at all ? He seems like an ideal top of rotation starter who has durability. Stand pat as far as trades right now. When you are in a hole stop digging. Try adding some talent without giving up one of our best players for a change.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Nope. He is focusing on pitching because it is what is needed to win in the playoffs and the Sox have no TOR pitcher. 

Also other than a couple of no name social media posts has there been any reliable information that he is focusing on pitching? 

image.gif

Maybe you haven't heard but boring baseball does not put butts in the seats. People want HRs and wins.

Since the Sox have no easy path back to the playoffs and still need butts in the seats for JR in increase payroll we have quite the conundrum. What comes 1st pitching ,defense, no winning boring  baseball that leaves the stands empty or hit HRs, run the bases, but exciting non winning , modern, baseball that might put just a few more butts in the seats ?

This is not the dead ball era with  450 ft. to CF to hit a HR.

The Yankees discovered in the 1920's that a LH slugger putting balls over the fence did wonderful things for them and baseball as a sport.The Sox still havent figured that out 100 years later.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Chris knows what’s on this roster already, he’s not an outsider from a different organization. Maybe they arent trying to purposely tank because JR and TLR are old, calling the shots and think a roster like he’s currently building is the way to win however this team is in no way set to compete in 2025 as currently constructed. This is going to be very painful for the next couple years. 

When I say “see what we have” I’m talking about farm system and guys at the major league level coming off disappointing seasons.  Do you think we know what we have in Vaughn, Eloy, Colas, or Kopech at this point?  Those are just a few examples of guys who could greatly increase this value with a strong season.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But you’re not making the playoffs with a bunch of slapdick hitters, so not sure why we’re focused on playoff roster construction at the moment.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

When I say “see what we have” I’m talking about farm system and guys at the major league level coming off disappointing seasons.  Do you think we know what we have in Vaughn, Eloy, Colas, or Kopech at this point?  Those are just a few examples of guys who could greatly increase this value with a strong season.

I think that was the whole purpose of Jerry hiring Getz though. He said it in his press conference. Bringing in someone that knows the inner workings of the organization because he wants to win now and if you bring in someone new they need time to evaluate everyone. If Getz has no idea what we have in the farm system or at the major league level then what the hell was he doing the past few years?

3 minutes ago, tray said:

This we know - Hahn signed Benintendi for 50 Million in order to plug the RF spot since he is a good defender and decent LH hitter.  He was only switched to RF to make way for Colas, who, in a short stint in the major league, could not make the grade. 

So now, Benintendi should go back to playing RF.  Point is, any power hitting corner outfielder will work to compliment Benni. Sox need more HR next year despite the stated desire to make the team faster with improved defense.  Further, pitching is the first line of defense in MLB so why trade Cease at all ? He seems like an ideal top of rotation starter who has durability. Stand pat as far as trades right now. When you are in a hole stop digging. Try adding some talent without giving up one of our best players for a change.

The next time Andrew Benintendi plays RF in a major league game , will be the first.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

Reds are supposedly out, as they found the asking price to be insane 

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

The White Sox asked for Rhett Lowder, Chase Petty and Sammy Stafura. If the Reds think that’s ridiculous, I’d tell them to enjoy finding a Cease level guy in free agency. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m still holding out hope that those guys are just intended to be cheap placeholders.  But it’s harder to believe that if Getz is all-in on pitching in a potential Cease trade.

I definitely want to see them acquire a potential impact middle of the order bat as I feel like by the time it comes to compete again we will see some of the pitching prospects become MLB ready by the time we are competing again. However you can’t have enough pitching so it’d be nice to acquire another one but I definitely think a young upcoming bat is sorely needed (specifically if we can find it for RF and/or 2B and quit trying to fill those holes year in and year out 

9 minutes ago, tray said:

Benintendi was signed to play everyday LF. They clearly stated that when he signed which made Eloy a future “RF” or DH. Benintendi has a noodle arm that cannot and should not ever be placed in RF. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox asked for Rhett Lowder, Chase Petty and Sammy Stafura. If the Reds think that’s ridiculous, I’d tell them to enjoy finding a Cease level guy in free agency. 

So we didn't even ask for Jorge like Bruce said?

I thought Jorge and Stafura were the other pieces not just Stafura

FML.

Jimmy give us a morsel or two. 

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What chips you expect them to have next year after 2024 is sure to have AWFUL attendance?

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Counterpoints:

• Benintendi has never played RF at the major league level and was brought in to play LF specifically
  • Saying Benintendi is a good defender is a tough sell right now coming off a -11 OAA season (and candidly he looked legit bad and slow out there)
  • Moving Benintendi to RF would be bad given his poor arm / throwing and complete lack of experience there (see AJ Pollock in RF for reference)
  • Not turning Cease into multiple assets would be absolutely disastrous and would almost certainly push our time to compete back a couple years

5 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I think that was the whole purpose of Jerry hiring Getz though. He said it in his press conference. Bringing in someone that knows the inner workings of the organization because he wants to win now and if you bring in someone new they need time to evaluate everyone. If Getz has no idea what we have in the farm system or at the major league level then what the hell was he doing the past few years?

As we are finding out, that was just an excuse because JR didn’t want to put the work into finding someone who would disagree with him, just opting for yes men willing to do things his way and kissing his ass every chance they get. All these guys do the exact same thing. Just look at their quotes over the years. Hahn, KW, LaRussa…. Praise him up and down talk about how all he wants to do is win, and mention how the losing is killing him. If it were killing him, he’d be long gone by now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Do you buy this pitching stuff James?  Would Getz actually forgo the chance to solve both RF & 2B in one fair swoop with an Orioles trade?

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic