Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

Or the other option where no trade is made until the deadline

That would be part of the negotiations. 

This discussion will end in one of 2 ways. 

1. The trade happens with Baltimore and their fans will say they gave up too much and the Sox fans will say they didn't get enough. 

2. The trade happens with another team and the Baltimore fans will say they were glad they didn't trade for him because it was too much and the Sox fans will say Getz screwed up because he didn't get enough. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Just now, fathom said:

Also amazing he knows more about the Sox and Getz than we do

Honestly it just makes me laugh because he sounds like the Red Sox fans before Sale got traded. Thinking that a trade like that for a pitcher wouldn't hurt substantially is amazing. 

Just now, Snowy Demon said:

I know some on this board wants Getz to wait.  Who knows if this is the right strategy?  What if the Orioles trade for Framber Valdez or Mitch Keller?  Luzardo? Woo?  Garrett?  

The market shifts. It always does. There will be new teams involved at the deadline due to injuries or where they are at in the standings. 

• Love 1

Just now, Snowy Demon said:

I know some on this board wants Getz to wait.  Who knows if this is the right strategy?  What if the Orioles trade for Framber Valdez or Mitch Keller?  Luzardo? Woo?  Garrett?  

It won’t matter if Cease has a dominant first half. Look at what Luis Castillo fetched at the 2022 trade deadline.

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

Everyone seems to have it that way because Baltimore has a prospect excess and needs a front line starter, the match is there. Has more to do with that than anything.

And yes, spare me, I am aware you think you already have a bunch of TOR pitchers. Hard disagree. We don't need to argue about it.

Yes because that is what I have said even though I have repeatedly said we need another front end starter.

Just now, Baron said:

The market shifts. It always does. There will be new teams involved at the deadline due to injuries or where they are at in the standings. 

Definitely.  That is why name calling specific GM by some is very immature.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

Cease could definitely be worth more in July. It’s just a huge risk to take especially since the team sucks and the org can’t develop properly right now.

Plus the injury factor.

They are improving the defense though and he obviously has great stuff, so it could work..but I’d be shocked if he is throwing for the Sox on OD.

A deal will come together.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You develop your own pitching..that’s what you do. It either works or it doesn’t.

The Os have also signed guys to 1 year deals to help eat innings and it’s worked the last 2 years.

Yep, sure worked well when the O's got swept in the playoffs and gave up 21 runs in 3 games.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

I just hope all of the Orioles fans stick around for when the harsh reality hits that the AL East isn’t going to have a 2 straight down years and they find themselves in 3rd place trying to hang on to a WC spot. 

And yes, all of us White Sox fans are well aware of how terrible the franchise is…but at least we are dealing in reality. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

This is what I've thought they're gonna do the entire time.  I don't think they're gonna step up and pay the price for Cease. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I just hope all of the Orioles fans stick around for when the harsh reality hits that the AL East isn’t going to have a 2 straight down years and they find themselves in 3rd place trying to hang on to a WC spot. 

AL East did not have a down year.  My guess is you are saying the Yankees had down year.  The Red Sox finished last 3 out of last 4 seasons. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’re not following my point that teams that don’t spend at some point don’t win titles. It’s that simple. Sure you might have a brief 3-4 year window where you have an outside shot at a title like the rays but they still haven’t broken through and that’s one rare example of an organization that has done it as well as possible while many others have failed to come anywhere close to that. So, if you’re not willing to pay up for a top starter like Yamamoto, Snell, Montgomery, etc AND you’re not willing to part with prospects for a relatively cheap starter like Cease, what exactly are you doing? Because the clock is ticking if they aren’t going to sustain a top 10 payroll in a few years.

The O’s might be able to run a top 10 payroll for 1-2 years, but not way they can do that on a sustained basis.

I think your point about necessary spending is somewhat debatable, but for fans like me, having a team that contends year in and year out is more important than having a team that manages to grasp the brass ring once but has a relatively short window of success.  I know not all fans feel like me, but for me I care a lot about the thrill of a playoff race and avoiding those seasons where your team is out of it in July.   So for me, I want a philosophy of sustained winning, not a “push all your chips to the middle and try to win one big pot” style.   And that means keeping a regular pipeline of young talent.  If I could guarantee a World Series title in 2024 by trading our entire top 10 for Cease, I wouldn’t do it.  

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

"It either works or it doesn't." Emphasis on the "doesn't."

Well they won 100 games, so it worked.

But it was a complete failure in the playoffs.  Of course, if you understand the playoffs and small sample sizes, you know that can happen.

Had they traded for Cease last deadline they still get swept.

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also amazing he knows more about the Sox and Getz than we do

I think that Getz has a certain amount of pressure to win when he trades Cease. I’m not pretending that I know what is going on. But, the asking price from the Reds that was leaked is ridiculous if it’s true. it will be interesting to see what the actual price is when/if a deal gets done.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep, sure worked well when the O's got swept in the playoffs and gave up 21 runs in 3 games.  

I hated living through that playoff series but I’m not going to draw too much meaning from one three game series, either.  I think that teams that overreact to what happens in one short series make foolish moves.   My reasons for wanting Cease or another good starter don’t relate to that series at all.  

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic