Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

But Bob said the Sox want Miller or Woo.  

Which might speak to Getz still wanting pitching in return, but it's just shortsighted IMO. I simply don't understand it from Seattle's side.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nothing about a Cease for Miller or Woo plus more makes any sense.

Purely from the M's side?  I could certainly see why the Sox have interest in Woo, and Miller to a lesser extent. Without one of those two, you could certainly still make a prospect trade for Cease work, but its much more difficult.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sure it does. It gives the Mariners one of the best rotations in the AL 

Starting pitching wasn't their issue last year though. And they salary dumped half of their offense this winter.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also, is Cease really that much of an upgrade on Woo that you give up 4 more years of control and prospects when you’re lacking on offense?

Yea. That's the understanding I'm lacking from a Mariner's perspective.

• Like 2

Lack of understanding aside, if Emerson/Ford/Young aren't on the table, I would like Celesten to be a part of the package.

7. Felnin Celesten
SS

Ht: 6'1" | Wt: 175 | B-T: S-R

BA Grade: 55/Extreme

Track Record: Celesten emerged early as a top prospect in the Dominican Republic and trained in the same program as Athletics shortstop prospect Robert Puason. Celesten attracted clubs as a switch-hitter with a mechanically-sound swing from both sides of the plate and vaulted into the upper echelon of the 2023 international class. The Mariners signed him for $4.7 million, the second-largest bonus in the class, the day the signing period opened. Celesten impressed in the spring, but he suffered a Grade 2 hamstring strain during an intrasquad game in June and missed the Dominican Summer League season. He returned in the fall for instructional league in Arizona and stood out as one of the Mariners’ top players in camp.

Scouting Report: Celesten has some of the best tools and biggest upside in the Mariners system. He’s a lean but strong 6-foot-2, 175 pounds and has physical projection still remaining. He has a direct, powerful righthanded swing that produces plus power and could grow into more thump as he gets stronger. His lefthanded swing is longer but flashes plus power when it connects. Celesten has an aggressive approach and will need to be more selective against higher-level pitching, but he has a track record of hitting in games. He projects to be an average hitter who accesses power in games. Celesten is a plus runner with loose, long strides and smooth actions at shortstop. He has a plus, accurate arm that will allow him to remain on the left side of the infield. Celesten may slow down as he fills out, but he projects to remain at shortstop with his athleticism and actions.

The Future: Celesten has the tools to be a power-hitting, everyday shortstop, but he has yet to play a professional game and has a long road ahead. He’ll make his pro debut in the Arizona Complex League.

Scouting Grades Hit: 50 | Power: 60 | Run: 60 | Field: 55 | Arm: 60

Edited by DirtySox

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also, is Cease really that much of an upgrade on Woo that you give up 4 more years of control and prospects when you’re lacking on offense?

Eloy Jimenez career stats at T-Mobile: .361/.395/.667/1.061

It's a nine game sample size, but whatever, I'm going to say that it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Even if Cease returns to 2022 form, I still think it's a dumb move for the Mariners. Closer was their biggest issue down the stretch after trading Sewald, and it hasn't been addressed yet either. After losing Hernandez, Suarez, and Kelnic this winter and adding only Raley, bats would seem to be a close second to bullpen as their top needs.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I mean, yah.  Cease has finished 2nd the CY Young as recently as 2022 and could very easily revert back to that pitcher. Woo is super intriguing and has some really nice upside, but was a below average SP in his small sample.  I get the thought process on the 6 + upside > 2, but if the M's are actually trying to win a championship, it makes plenty of sense.  The tough part to understand is they haven't really acted like that this offseason.

Also, never doubt Dipoto.  Sometimes it just feels the dude gets bored and makes a trade for the fun of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Eloy Jimenez career stats at T-Mobile: .361/.395/.667/1.061

It's a nine game sample size, but whatever, I'm going to say that it makes sense.

If Eloy is part of the deal that is. Which I think I floated but haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic