Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

Really makes me wonder what Getz wanted that they considered to be asking for the moon.

Getz wanted the type of return people in this thread have wanted. It's not an unreasonable ask, but given Cease's 2023 performance and the weak market, that offer hasn't yet been available.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I dunno. Jimmy kinda cryptically alluded to something.

Nah he didn't. That's what you read into it knowing he sometimes gets inside info. But it's usually just his opinion and thats how everyone should look at it. He also thought Cease would be traded by the end of January.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nah he didn't. That's what you read into it knowing he sometimes gets inside info. But it's usually just his opinion and thats how everyone should look at it. He also thought Cease would be traded by the end of January.

You're way off base here man. If it was just his opinion, then he would have just said he disagreed. You don't put "..............I disagree" if it isn't alluding to something he heard. And anyways, he came back later in the thread after the fact and said the Orioles circled back to Cease the other day. That's a little more than opinion based.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

10 hours ago, T R U said:

You're way off base here man. If it was just his opinion, then he would have just said he disagreed. You don't put "..............I disagree" if it isn't alluding to something he heard. And anyways, he came back later in the thread after the fact and said the Orioles circled back to Cease the other day. That's a little more than opinion based.

Circling back. Meaning Getz sticking to his guns on trade compensation was perfectly reasonable. People are just impatient

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

Really makes me wonder what Getz wanted that they considered to be asking for the moon.

that's propaganda meaning, they don't think Getz has the leverage to get what he wants. It doesn't necessarily mean it was out of line. They perceive the Sox and Getz to be too weak to be able to get their asking price. Again, people need to slow it down, and wait for the leverage. What's the hurry? Can't wait to get to our 95 loss marathon?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Circling back. Meaning Getz sticking to his guns on trade compensation was perfectly reasonable. People are just impatient

Or their injury/risk tolerance meter (KW Riverboat Gambler) is not that high after the Hahn Risk Mitigation Era.

10 hours ago, T R U said:

The O's GM is methodical. No trade with them is imminent. They will delay any move to see how the health of their pitchers shakes out.

Most likely in the near future we hear about them signing or trading for a cheap arm . It doesn't take a rocket scientist to surmise they will explore their options and they will take their time about it. If Cease pitches well in the 1st month or 2 of the season and the O's starting pitching is still looking sparse then  Cease will be on of many options. They have talked enough already to know what Getz wants. However if Cease pitches well then the O's won't be the only ones wanting Cease and willing to pay more than previously offered. They would need to up the ante now. It's just not their style to do that.

All three of their starting OFers will be Free Agents after this year and they have guys ready or near ready to step in with Cowser, Kjerstad, Beavers and Bradfield. Seems unlikely they would diminish their talent pool in the OF. It wouldn't be wise to let them play out their contracts , offer them a QO and only get a draft pick. We'll see what happens with Santander but it wouldn't shock me if Hays or Mullins gets traded and certainly not to the Sox unless they want Touki Toussaint ,Chris Flexen or Soroka in their rotation.

Elias is not a good trade partner for us. I never believed the O’s would give up meaningful prospects. Houston never did. They got Cole and Verlander for volume not quality.  Much more likely the Sox trade them Soroka at the deadline than Cease.

19 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Uhhh yeah he did. Of course nothing is close and may not happen but he is absolutely alluding to the O’s calling. He would have said that it was just his opinion after everyone reacted to it. 

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Santander's only a FA after this year. Hays and Mullins aren't FAs until after the 2025 season. 

Thank u for pointing out the mistake. When I read the part of of my post u quoted I was thinking I didn't write that ,did I  ? I was fully aware only Santander was a free Agent after this year and Mullins and Hays the next year. I have written about it a few times before. That's why later I said we'll see what happens with Santander but it wouldn't surprise if the other 2 were traded  (meaning with the extra year on their contract for pitching. )

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank u for pointing out the mistake. When I read the part of of my post u quoted I was thinking I didn't write that ,did I  ? I was fully aware only Santander was a free Agent after this year and Mullins and Hays the next year. I have written about it a few times before. That's why later I said we'll see what happens with Santander but it wouldn't surprise if the other 2 were traded  (meaning with the extra year on their contract for pitching. )

Bradfield isn't close to ready, so they need Mullins for at least 2024.

They're not going to play Cowser in CF...they might even go to Mateo if those were the two choices.

47 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Uhhh yeah he did. Of course nothing is close and may not happen but he is absolutely alluding to the O’s calling. He would have said that it was just his opinion after everyone reacted to it. 

You ' ll have to point it out to me where he named a source that said the Orioles called. He said Bruce Levine sounded sincere. He said he had heard . He also said he believed Cease would be traded before the end of January. I disagreed at the time in writing in the thread. But who are people going to think is right or Jimmy ? Him of course

He's got sources and everyone salivates when he makes posts and says ohh he made cryptic posts and ooh later he said this. It's his passion to be a noted source of Sox info . It's his job to drum up interest in his content. I got nothing at all against James Fox. I tune into his content more often than most of you. I watch the new Future Sox content on YouTube where James and the others are more active now than before. I often think James and I think a lot alike when it comes to the Sox. Back when I wanted Stone Garret when he was released James also thought it was a good idea , one of the few to say so when others were dismissive.

Ultimately it makes no difference that you believe Jimmy was saying for sure the O's have surely contacted the Sox again since it became common knowledge Bradish and Means we're injured, nor that I believe it was just his opinion. The point was that if they recently called the Sox people get excited thinking it could happen soon. That's why you said of course nothing is close or it may not happen at all. That's not obvious to everyone thinking oooh the O's called recently it's on again!! Let's go !!

Jimmy was stating the obvious that he was disagreeing with the earlier posts that the O's were done dealing with the Sox and I agreed with him , not because his post was all mysterious and cryptic but because they have injured pitchers and the Sox have a pitcher they've already had trade discussions with. That's why Getz was willing to pitch Cease in season to make those teams who earlier thought he was asking too much, up their offers. The O's may not offer much more right now based only on their own pitcher's health but if Cease pitches well AND their pitching is still suffering and everything else aligns there will be a trade with the O's, or the Yankees or the dozen or so other teams who would covet a reinvigorated Cease.

• TLR 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bradfield isn't close to ready, so they need Mullins for at least 2024.

They're not going to play Cowser in CF...they might even go to Mateo if those were the two choices.

But  Bradfield and Beavers may be choices at the beginning of next year . They have 4 OFs close enough to ready to replace 3 OFs who will be gone soon enough. It doesn't leave as much good prospects capital left except their top guys to trade for Cease if they have to keep the OF prospects. So now people think the O's will give up Mayo or Basallo.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But  Bradfield and Beavers may be choices at the beginning of next year . They have 4 OFs close enough to ready to replace 3 OFs who will be gone soon enough. It doesn't leave as much good prospects capital left except their top guys to trade for Cease if they have to keep the OF prospects. So now people think the O's will give up Mayo or Basallo.

Them counting on every prospect to hit is why they will fail.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You ' ll have to point it out to me where he named a source that said the Orioles called. He said Bruce Levine sounded sincere. He said he had heard . He also said he believed Cease would be traded before the end of January. I disagreed at the time in writing in the thread. But who are people going to think is right or Jimmy ? Him of course

He's got sources and everyone salivates when he makes posts and says ohh he made cryptic posts and ooh later he said this. It's his passion to be a noted source of Sox info . It's his job to drum up interest in his content. I got nothing at all against James Fox. I tune into his content more often than most of you. I watch the new Future Sox content on YouTube where James and the others are more active now than before. I often think James and I think a lot alike when it comes to the Sox. Back when I wanted Stone Garret when he was released James also thought it was a good idea , one of the few to say so when others were dismissive.

Ultimately it makes no difference that you believe Jimmy was saying for sure the O's have surely contacted the Sox again since it became common knowledge Bradish and Means we're injured, nor that I believe it was just his opinion. The point was that if they recently called the Sox people get excited thinking it could happen soon. That's why you said of course nothing is close or it may not happen at all. That's not obvious to everyone thinking oooh the O's called recently it's on again!! Let's go !!

Jimmy was stating the obvious that he was disagreeing with the earlier posts that the O's were done dealing with the Sox and I agreed with him , not because his post was all mysterious and cryptic but because they have injured pitchers and the Sox have a pitcher they've already had trade discussions with. That's why Getz was willing to pitch Cease in season to make those teams who earlier thought he was asking too much, up their offers. The O's may not offer much more right now based only on their own pitcher's health but if Cease pitches well AND their pitching is still suffering and everything else aligns there will be a trade with the O's, or the Yankees or the dozen or so other teams who would covet a reinvigorated Cease.

The fact he hasn’t downplayed everyone’s reaction is enough. Plus he’s a dude who’s connected. Getz isn’t going to tell Bruce when asked if O’s called.

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Them counting on every prospect to hit is why they will fail.

Maybe so but at least they have guys to plug in and impending FA OFs to trade for their pitching needs if they can. That's why I'm surprised Santander isn't gone yet. If they are going to keep their prospects and try to be like the Rays then Santander should be traded before the deadline. The Rays in the same situation would already be looking for prospects for him ,Mullins and Hays. The O's can't afford to let any of them reach FA and get just a draft pick back if they are going to never sign high priced Free Agents.

Maybe things change under new ownership but too hard to say when or  what new ownership will do differently.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe so but at least they have guys to plug in and impending FA OFs to trade for their pitching needs if they can. That's why I'm surprised Santander isn't gone yet. If they are going to keep their prospects and try to be like the Rays then Santander should be traded before the deadline. The Rays in the same situation would already be looking for prospects for him ,Mullins and Hays. The O's can't afford to let any of them reach FA and get just a draft pick back if they are going to never sign high priced Free Agents.

Maybe things change under new ownership but too hard to say when or  what new ownership will do differently.

Yeah would think you would trade Santander for prospects (or a one for one swap of a rental SP) and plug Kjerstad in RF, who is ready. Then you have more guys to deal now or in the summer for pitching.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah would think you would trade Santander for prospects (or a one for one swap of a rental SP) and plug Kjerstad in RF, who is ready. Then you have more guys to deal now or in the summer for pitching.

This assumes there’s a market for prospects in exchange for Santander. Most of the moves like that involving position players have been attached to other moves as salary dumps this offseason.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic