Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Thorpe is the highest rated prospect, but this deal being good or bad hinges on Iriarte and Zavala hitting their ceiling. Thorpe is the safe prospect.

I don't think Thorpe is that safe at all. What do you consider safe, a #3/#4 innings eater? Thorpe may have a good shot at that, he threw 140 innings last year, that's fine. With that fastball you can't say he's safely an upper part of the rotation starter until he actually turns into one. But if he comes up and his control and off speed stuff doesn't play against big league hitters, his ceiling is out of the league in a couple years. How is a guy who is throwing under 90 in spring training safe?

• Like 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Generally, it looks like Getz is taking a more fundamentally sound/high ceiling approach eg Thorpe and Zavala. I'm not going to complain about that. 

Keith Law literally said Zavala looks uninterested and sloppy.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Did the FO like funnel money to them or something?

I get it, a B- is fine. They got depth and the key 2 guys are A-ball players so there's some ceiling available. Cease wasn't good last year and wasn't worth all that much. B- is an acceptance of this being the best you could do with how bad Cease was last year and his unreliable career.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And the Brewers are in a completely different situation, by the way...retooling on the fly versus a total rebuild after Robert is traded.

Just expect to get a lot of crap if Ortiz and Hall are total flops for Milwaukee.

That goes two ways though — it proves that not all of Baltimore’s prospects will pan out but it also will make their trade for Burnes look better.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think Thorpe is that safe at all. What do you consider safe, a #3/#4 innings eater? Thorpe may have a good shot at that, he threw 140 innings last year, that's fine. With that fastball you can't say he's safely an upper part of the rotation starter until he actually turns into one. But if he comes up and his control and off speed stuff doesn't play against big league hitters, his ceiling is out of the league in a couple years. How is a guy who is throwing under 90 in spring training safe?

Chuck Hough/Wakefield

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

He's also shown elite patience, he's already moved to A+ and he's 19. I like Law, but he's the king of hot takes in the baseball community. Keith Law really like attention. 

10 hours ago, WestEddy said:

They kind of gush over Jack Leiter, and compare him to Thorpe (#5), Snelling (#3) and Lesko (#4). The guy who believes Cease won a Cy Young compares Brock Porter to the level of prospect that Graham Pauly (#11) or Eguy Rosario (#16) are. They come up with a "similar" package of one of (thorpe, snelling, lesko), one of (pauly, rosario), Sam Zavala (#7) and maybe Adam Mazur (#10). The numbers are MLB's Padres' system rankings. 

The Padre podcast guys kind of got close on this. Thorpe, Zavala, Irierte instead of Mazur, and wilson instead of the utility guy. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

He's also shown elite patience, he's already moved to A+ and he's 19. I like Law, but he's the king of hot takes in the baseball community. Keith Law really like attention. 

Your argument is way too close to Keith Law hates the White Sox. You have rejected his analysis to say that this guy is a hard worker because you don't like Keith Law. Bull.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah and so does Luis Robert sometimes. It’s not a death sentence. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Your argument is way too close to Keith Law hates the White Sox. You have rejected his analysis to say that this guy is a hard worker because you don't like Keith Law. Bull.

I literally said I like Keith Law. 

BA:

Drew Thorpe, RHP

In just one offseason, Thorpe, whom the Yankees chose out of Cal Poly in 2022, has been traded twice. First, he went from New York to San Diego in the deal that sent Juan Soto to the Bronx. Just a few months later, he’s on the move again. He’s coveted in large part because of one of the best changeups in the minor leagues, a pitch that helped him rack up a minor league-best 182 strikeouts in 2023, the highest total by a Yankees farmhand since 2002. Thorpe, who has been excellent this spring, backs the changeup with a low-90s fastball, an average slider and a below-average curveball. He’d also been toying with a cutter in the midst of the 2023 season. He finished last year in Double-A and could see the big leagues in 2024. Thorpe ranks No. 58 on the Baseball America Top 100 Prospects.

Samuel Zavala, OF

Like many Padres prospects, Zavala has been aggressively moved through the minors throughout his career. Case in point, he was the third-youngest player in the Low-A California League on Opening Day 2023 but not even the youngest player on his own Lake Elsinore squad. Zavala spent the year putting together an outstanding season, including 22 doubles and 20 stolen bases to go with 14 home runs. He struggled upon reaching High-A, though he was dealing with an injured oblique. At his best, Zavala has quick swing with plenty of barrel accuracy. If he can get stronger, he could reach at least average power. Zavala earns above-average marks for his speed, defense and throwing arm and can handle center field in the long run. He ranked No. 7 on the Padres Preseason Top 30.

Jairo Iriarte, RHP

When he signed, Iriarte was lauded for his combination of stuff and projection. He’s added roughly 50 pounds since then, proving the latter correct. The stuff has been boosted as well, and he now brings his fastball consistently into the mid 90s. The heater is buttressed by a double dose of offspeeds that includes a nasty slider and a changeup that is a touch on the firm side but could get to at least above-average with further refinement. Iriarte’s fringy control could lead to a bullpen role, but he’ll have plenty of time to improve and fight for a spot in the rotation in the years to come. He reached Double-A in 2023 and whiffed more than 40% of the hitters he faced. Iriarte ranked No. 9 in San Diego’s system.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/dylan-cease-trade-scouting-reports-on-every-padres-white-sox-player-involved/

27 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Radke, Greinke, Maddux, Lincecum, Hoffman. Baseball history is full of elite pitchers that sat in the low 90's with elite changes and excellent command. 

not to mention, Giolito never had excellent command like Thorpe.  Thorpe's command grade is 60 of 70 right NOW, Giolito maxed out at 40/50 when he was still a minor leaguer

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I literally said I like Keith Law. 

I like Keith Law but here's why Keith Law sucks. 

That's...kinda like this trade? It's not terrible but here's a laundry list of obvious reasons why it sucks. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I like Keith Law but here's why Keith Law sucks. 

That's...kinda like this trade? It's not terrible but here's a laundry list of obvious reasons why it sucks. 

Thankfully everyone can read because this isn't what I said, in any way. I said he's the king of hot takes. That means he's willing to make risky evaluations. Nothing in that say I don't like Keith Law. 

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

not to mention, Giolito never had excellent command like Thorpe.  Thorpe's command grade is 60 of 70 right NOW, Giolito maxed out at 40/50 when he was still a minor leaguer

Everywhere I've seen Thorpe does not have plus command. 

The highest grade I've seen on his command is 55. 

42 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Fangraphs has their farm at #12 now. Quote the improvement in less than a year. Should be top 10 after the trade deadline with very little money committed to mlb payroll after this season. About as clean of a slate as you could ask for at the onset of a new rebuild.

A clean slate isn't a good thing lol. 

If you have one mlb piece, you need a lot more than a top 10 farm system to build a roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Giolito's fastball last year as his arm was breaking down still averaged 93.1 mph.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A clean slate isn't a good thing lol. 

If you have one mlb piece, you need a lot more than a top 10 farm system to build a roster.

Well, it’s certainly better than what they had last season - an expensive terrible mlb roster. If the mlb roster is terrible, I’d rather have it be super cheap. Also, this is a 3-4 year rebuild. A top 10 farm one year into the rebuild after having a bottom 3 farm 12 months prior is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sloppy is observable I guess, but judging someone's interest feels like deciding you know someone's personality without knowing them. Feels like racial scouting tropes.

Fine but then we can't give Getz credit for his hard working culture for bringing in white guys who played for the Royals.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic