Jerry visits Nashville mayor

Quin

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was fine with him a lot longer than most everyone else, but it's beyond time. And if he's doing these stunts now.....just sell the team and count your money.

Exactly how I feel. 

I know that this is a business but pulling these stunts, after massively underperforming, is infuriating.  JR, you are the problem sir.  It's not the city.  It's sure as hell not the fans.  It's you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

Exactly how I feel. 

I know that this is a business but pulling these stunts, after massively underperforming, is infuriating.  JR, you are the problem sir.  It's not the city.  It's sure as hell not the fans.  It's you.  

💯💯💯

Sox fans have been in an abusive relationship with this ownership group for 40 years. So many of us are just done with the bullshit. New ownership is desperately needed before fan interest completely dies. It feels like we are already on that precipice too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Expanding to 32 teams makes more sense for the MLB verses having a historic 123 year old American League franchise move to a new town. Its a horrible look for baseball. Listen, the White Sox have a poor history (overall), but most of this is due to Jerry's poor ownership. I'm not sure how the MLB gets involved in ownership changes/ franchise relocations, but I would hope the MLB would intervene and promote a franchise sale verses a relocation with the same lame ass ownership group led by Jerry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Neither do I…especially not when they are looking to add two teams.  Chicago is a potential goldmine with any competent owner.  Just need George Lucas and his wife to free us from this reign of terror.

I asked this in another thread. Do people really think that some one is going to buy the Sox and spend the team into the red? Owners just don't do that. The teams that spend well over the luxury tax are the highest revenue teams which cover that deficit.

Owners spend in the first 5 years due to the tax breaks but then it slows down. Look at Cohen. Last season everyone was going crazy with "look at how he was spending." It's already slowed and the Mets are a much higher revenue team.

I just don't see anyone buying the team and the situation being much different. People will hate the next billionaire as well. Until they win.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

Expanding to 32 teams makes more sense for the MLB verses having a historic 123 year old American League franchise move to a new town. Its a horrible look for baseball. Listen, the White Sox have a poor history (overall), but most of this is due to Jerry's poor ownership. I'm not sure how the MLB gets involved in ownership changes/ franchise relocations, but I would hope the MLB would intervene and promote a franchise sale verses a relocation with the same lame ass ownership group led by Jerry. 

MLB has the right to refuse to allow a franchise to move. However, MLB has never acted on this authority. It is questionable if they'd do so, because (outside of maybe the Yankees) most owners would not be willing to set the precedent of vetoing a move, just in case they ever had to use the threat of moving to try to extract something from their home city.

One of the parts of the calculation in doing this now is that if he were to decide to move, he would want to make sure he could show to other owners that the relationship with the city of Chicago had truly burned to the ground and was unsalvageable. "I talked to them for 5 years about a new stadium and they kept declining" is a part of that plan.

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I asked this in another thread. Do people really think that some one is going to buy the Sox and spend the team into the red? Owners just don't do that. The teams that spend well over the luxury tax are the highest revenue teams which cover that deficit.

Owners spend in the first 5 years due to the tax breaks but then it slows down. Look at Cohen. Last season everyone was going crazy with "look at how he was spending." It's already slowed and the Mets are a much higher revenue team.

I just don't see anyone buying the team and the situation being much different. People will hate the next billionaire as well. Until they win.

Yes, I think the next owner will attempt to convince potential customers to purchase their product by actually having a good product.  Some of that requires investing in your product up-front and taking some short term losses.  Some it requires taking on some long-term risk to help win in the now.  And above all else, it’s about not being an out of touch dinosaur and investing in the areas that provide the greatest ROI such as Latin America, analytics, biometrics, etc.

Jerry Reinsdorf is legit the worst owner in baseball outside of the Pirates dude and perhaps one of the worst amongst the four major sports.  Any change will be an improvement because from a conceptual standpoint it’s hard for any other owner to damage their franchise more than Jerry has.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I was told earlier this year that JR  has business interests in Nashville. And making a good guess those interests are real estate. He owned the land when he wanted the stadium in Addison. He also owned the land in Tucson when he moved the team there for spring training. It could happen that a new stadium could be built on land he owns in Nashville.  I just hope that if he moves the team to Nashville he tells us sooner rather than later so most of us would stop going to the games in Chicago.

28 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

The level of talent in baseball means that expanding to 32 teams makes complete sense. But owners don't want to because they think they'll make less money overall, that the 'supply' of baseball teams will outpace the demand for baseball. Or that a Nashville team will siphon off fans from Atlanta, Chicago, St Louis or wherever else and that the new media revenue won't compensate for their suspected loss of revenue.

I think they're full of s%*# personally. and I think Reinsdorf stands to make more money building a new ballpark and complex in Chicago than in Nashville. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I don’t wish ill will upon anyone but he is testing my limits 

It reminds me of the scene in one of the Christmas Carols where Scrooge asks for some emotion related to a death and the ghost takes him to a husband telling his wife that their landlord is past relenting, he is dead and she says, "I never thought I'd be so happy to hear of someone's passing"

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

The level of talent in baseball means that expanding to 32 teams makes complete sense. But owners don't want to because they think they'll make less money overall, that the 'supply' of baseball teams will outpace the demand for baseball. Or that a Nashville team will siphon off fans from Atlanta, Chicago, St Louis or wherever else and that the new media revenue won't compensate for their suspected loss of revenue.

I think they're full of s%*# personally. and I think Reinsdorf stands to make more money building a new ballpark and complex in Chicago than in Nashville. 

I do think that eventually we are going to see expansion, and I do expect the talk to heat up now that the Oakland and Tampa bay situations have been dealt with. Those franchises needed the threat to move in their arsenal.

This is probably another reason why JR would push this now, if he waits until expansion decisions are being made, then those steps will happen before he is able to push moving - whether it's real or a negotiating tactic, he can't have Nashville get a team before he has a new stadium deal. If he turns this into the next multi-year moving Saga, then MLB won't want to do expansion until the White Sox's stadium plans are finalized (wherever they are).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, I think the next owner will attempt to convince potential customers to purchase their product by actually having a good product.  Some of that requires investing in your product up-front and taking some short term losses.  Some it requires taking on some long-term risk to help win in the now.  And above all else, it’s about not being an out of touch dinosaur and investing in the areas that provide the greatest ROI such as Latin America, analytics, biometrics, etc.

Jerry Reinsdorf is legit the worst owner in baseball outside of the Pirates dude and perhaps one of the worst amongst the four major sports.  Any change will be an improvement because from a conceptual standpoint it’s hard for any other owner to damage their franchise more than Jerry has.

How many of the other teams fans do you think believe are putting out a good  product? Most cities i travel to believe their owners suck and don't do enough for their fans.

I'm not saying JR is doing a good job. I'm just saying that to believe a new owner is just going to magically change everything maybe unrealistic.

One of my favorites is not an owner but  coach. Mike Tomlin has neve had a losing season and people outside of Pittsburgh love him as a coach. In Pittsburgh the fans can't wait to get rid of him and think he s holding the team back and never has them prepared.

Perspective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Rays have already finalized a deal, as has Milwaukee. The Orioles and Maryland are still negotiating their lease, and with ownership connections to Nashville and the delipidated condition of Baltimore, they will move to Nashville well before the Sox lease expires.

I read where the Orioles signed a new lease but it is not binding. If somebody wants to explain that I would like  to hear the explanation of that.

In the early days of ownership, JR said he needed increased money streams from media sources. He eventually got them. He said he needed a new stadium. He got it. Of course, that stadium had to have sky boxes. He got them. He said he needed all these things to if he was to compete. So, why isn't he competing?

There is no way that any government entity should cave and finance a second stadium. One World Series in 42 going on 43 years stinks. 

Right now, this franchise is in the worst shape since the early 1970s. I have little faith things will get better soon. Filling the roster with placeholders isn't going to get it. Threatening a move to Nashville? What are we going to miss?

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I would welcome a Sox move. Get the stink of this loser franchise out of the city. Chicago can absolutely host two baseball teams, so MLB would almost certainly put a new franchise there, with a new owner. If Reinsdorf doesn't die anytime soon this is the next best option to get rid of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/12/6/23990963/white-sox-chairman-jerry-reinsdorf-meets-with-nashville-mayor

"Most people in the baseball industry don’t see major league baseball approving a move by the Sox to Nashville, which wants an expansion team." 

"Mayor O’Connell has stood against private funding for a hypothetical major league baseball stadium."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, almagest said:

Honestly, I would welcome a Sox move. Get the stink of this loser franchise out of the city. Chicago can absolutely host two baseball teams, so MLB would almost certainly put a new franchise there, with a new owner. If Reinsdorf doesn't die anytime soon this is the next best option to get rid of him.

Chicago isn’t going to put up the money for a second franchise. Is there a business that would do it all themselves? Would the Bears, as part of an entertainment complex?

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

there's only a few owners with Jerry's pathetic record of big contract spending.  I doubt the next owner would run the team the same way with antipathy towards superstars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/12/6/23990963/white-sox-chairman-jerry-reinsdorf-meets-with-nashville-mayor

"Most people in the baseball industry don’t see major league baseball approving a move by the Sox to Nashville, which wants an expansion team." 

"Mayor O’Connell has stood against private funding for a hypothetical major league baseball stadium."

The Mayor has stood against private funding?  Why?

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Right now the White Sox are 1A and the Rays 1B so it would be easy to make the Rays 1A but I want the Sox to remain in the city of my birth forever, it would break my heart if they left Chicago and ceded the city to the Flubs.

BTW the Lightning have been 1A in my heart for awhile now with the Blackhawks hardly on my radar anymore. 

I have a son living in the Tampa area. That could work.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Chicago isn’t going to put up the money for a second franchise. Is there a business that would do it all themselves? Would the Bears, as part of an entertainment complex?

I think they might. INVEST South/West is one of the stupidest programs in city history and is pouring public money into the south side so that developers can 'rejuvenate' blighted areas. GRF doesn't qualify for that program, but right over the freeway does, and the potential tax base increase has to appeal to the city if a sports franchise wants to re-develop 100 acres of parking lots and perhaps the former Stateway Gardens site.

Every city is obsessed with 'public-private partnerships' especially if it's "equitable" which I think it would be an easy sell to build an entertainment district that would predominantly serve middle-class Asian and black communities (and everyone else arriving on the red line and freeway). This is JR's leverage to get the city to fund a large portion of it. I doubt he'll build it in his lifetime but these stunts he performs have to raise the value of the team. My conspiracy theory is that a Chinese billionaire (Joe Tsai) will buy the team whenever Jerry croaks and do it.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1