Jerry visits Nashville mayor

Quin

Hinz notes the White Sox lease on their home ballpark — Guaranteed Rate Field — expires in six years and that the team's 87-year-old owner, Jerry Reinsdorf may consider selling his ownership of the baseball team to focus on his controlling interest in the NBA's Chicago Bulls.

Going by the past and current connections of Dombrowski, Stewart and TLR…one could imagine JR selling a majority stake to Mellody Hobson/George Lucas and then Nashville also taking on a Star Wars museum project next to a new Sox ballpark or hundreds of millions in improvements to improve the existing minor league facility.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/10/01/potential-nashville-mlb-ballpark-renderings-

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/diversity-and-inclusion/a-happy-warrior-mellody-hobson-on-mentorship-diversity-and-feedback

Put together Hobson, the Obamas (both women with Princeton backgrounds), George Lucas…you’re going to blow Jerry Reinsdorf out of the freakin’ water.

Unfortunately it might have to happen in Nashville and not Chicago…

If you are Nashville, why would you want Jerry Reinsdorf? He's a proven failure. His only specialty is ripping off local governments, therefore, taxpayers.  His teams suck. He doesn't ever really go for it.  Everything is 20th century. Give me an expansion team over him 100 time over 100. They will win sooner than he will.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Fire 3

Jerry selling the team yeah!!

To a group from Nashville. The perfect ending that franchise in Chicago.

Then an expansion team moves into the suburbs with a clean start and a fan base that could be ex pat Sox and casual Cub fans. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you are Nashville, why would you want Jerry Reinsdorf? He's a proven failure. His only specialty is ripping off local governments, therefore, taxpayers.  His teams suck. He doesn't ever really go for it.  Everything is 20th century. Give me an expansion team over him 100 time over 100. They will win sooner than he will.

See Marlins Rockies Rays…at this point, I believe 75-80%+ or more would follow a new expansion team in Chicago over the White Sox brand being relocated to another market like Nashville…especially if Luis Robert is also dealt away.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

See Marlins Rockies Rays…at this point, I believe 75-80%+ or more would follow a new expansion team in Chicago over the White Sox brand being relocated to another market like Nashville…especially if Luis Robert is also dealt away.

I don't think people realize just how bad the Tampa franchise would have been if Jerry moved the Sox there. They probably would have skipped town by now.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think people realize just how bad the Tampa franchise would have been if Jerry moved the Sox there. They probably would have skipped town by now.

With the front office personnel employed in Chicago...doomed in the AL East.

Definitely below Baltimore for a decent percentage of that time...but spending twice as much for the privilege of finishing fourth in that daunting division.

Which in Jerry's eyes might still be a productive/profitable season depending on attendance and payroll.

Maybe the White Sox can move to Milwaukee and Brewers can move their entire front office operation and major/minor league roster to 35th and Shields.

18 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

Strategically alienating Jason to prod his leaving, yearly cancelling sox fest, hiring Tony as manager, fielding an abhorrent team etc. etc. are all part of Jerry’s plan to deflate the fan base which deflates attendance and deflates overall fan interest which will be Jerry’s reason for moving…….”Chicago doesn’t support us so we have to leave” etc. etc. 

Hopefully 

8 hours ago, tray said:

Nashville Mayor also has Jewish descent, is a progressive Democrat, and appears to have ideological views that are in line with some of Jerry's. Sounds like a good man from what I have read.

Meanwhile, Sox aren't goin' nowhere and our fan base is strong. Don't take this dinner as something designed for cheap leverage or like paparazzi reporting of TayTay and Kelce. The Sox are already in a commanding contractual position with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority and the City and they will stay right here.

All of the consternation I read here seems to point to the necessity to add talent and try to compete rather than selling and trading off talent. I expect the Sox will spend on talent if the right deal comes along. 

What talent do they have worth trading?  Roberts?

8 hours ago, tray said:

Nashville Mayor also has Jewish descent, is a progressive Democrat, and appears to have ideological views that are in line with some of Jerry's. Sounds like a good man from what I have read.

Meanwhile, Sox aren't goin' nowhere and our fan base is strong. Don't take this dinner as something designed for cheap leverage or like paparazzi reporting of TayTay and Kelce. The Sox are already in a commanding contractual position with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority and the City and they will stay right here.

All of the consternation I read here seems to point to the necessity to add talent and try to compete rather than selling and trading off talent. I expect the Sox will spend on talent if the right deal comes along. 

Our fan base is bordering on apathetic. Definitely despondent. I would agree that if Jerry wasn’t tone deaf, he wouldn’t be dumping salary and players right now, adding rather, but it’s pretty fucking obvious that he is tone deaf. And I have rarely met a prospects rebuild that I didn’t like.  And your  take that our consternation doesn’t point to Jerry selling is not very observant. It points to selling to the point we’re almost driving the Sox to the airport and truck terminal.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Jerry selling the team yeah!!

To a group from Nashville. The perfect ending that franchise in Chicago.

Then an expansion team moves into the suburbs with a clean start and a fan base that could be ex pat Sox and casual Cub fans. 

It’s very weird that you no longer contribute to this site and simply troll Sox fans about the team relocating.  But I guess if this gives you happiness, then keep on trucking bro.

• Thanks 2

I think at this point, even Cubs fans would be disillusioned. Jerry has made unforced error after unforced error, with both his teams. He doesn't learn from them. He doubles down.  He's lucky he's a really bright guy so he has something to fall back on, because he's nowhere near as bright as he thinks he is. 

The main reason the Sox rebuild failed so spectacularly was unlike all the other teams that sucked so bad they had to tear it down to the studs, they kept the idiots who made the decisions that got them into that predicament. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

A lot can happen in 6 years, when the GRF lease expires.  Obviously if the Sox plan on moving to another site within Chicago or to another city, a decision would be made sooner.  JR is 87, so who knows if he'd be around or in decent health in six years.  He could very well sell his stake in the team over the next few years, and it would be up to new owners to make a decision.

I think the most likely scenario is JR is making a point to visit the Nashville mayor, making a scene while pretending he's being secretive, in order to build leverage for a new stadium in Chicago.  There are so many things that would have to happen and be approved in order to move the Sox to a new city.  But, who knows, the A's are on the move to Vegas.

Tin foil hat theory: JR is going to sell the Sox and will start a new ownership group for an expansion team in Nashville.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s very weird that you no longer contribute to this site and simply troll Sox fans about the team relocating.  But I guess if this gives you happiness, then keep on trucking bro.

Embittered Sox fans aren’t simply going to latch onto a suburban expansion team. It’s not that simple. But trolling Sox fans is his schtick now, no matter how often his bullshit is debunked. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

26 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

A lot can happen in 6 years, when the GRF lease expires.  Obviously if the Sox plan on moving to another site within Chicago or to another city, a decision would be made sooner.  JR is 87, so who knows if he'd be around or in decent health in six years.  He could very well sell his stake in the team over the next few years, and it would be up to new owners to make a decision.

I think the most likely scenario is JR is making a point to visit the Nashville mayor, making a scene while pretending he's being secretive, in order to build leverage for a new stadium in Chicago.  There are so many things that would have to happen and be approved in order to move the Sox to a new city.  But, who knows, the A's are on the move to Vegas.

Tin foil hat theory: JR is going to sell the Sox and will start a new ownership group for an expansion team in Nashville.

If only. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“I've been reading about I've been threatening to move to Nashville,” Reinsdorf said, according to Scott Merkin, who covers the team for mlb.com. “That article didn't come from me. But if we have six years left, we've got to decide what's the future going to be? We'll get to it, but I never threatened to move out."

Representatives from Music City Baseball, including Dave Stewart and Hall of Fame manager Tony LaRussa, were on hand at the Winter Meetings.

The group's vision, according to its website is "to secure Major League Baseball approval of an expansion franchise in Nashville, although relocation and rebranding of an existing franchise would also be considered.

“I'm optimistic that 2024 is going to be the year that (MLB) expansion is going to be discussed and moved forward,” said John Loar, managing director of Music City Baseball. " ... I think 2024 is a big year for that conversation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/this-is-why-nashville-mayor-freddie-oconnell-met-with-white-sox-owner-jerry-reinsdorf/ar-AA1l6J98

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/12/04/mlb-winter-meetings-nashville-stars-dave-stewart/71795830007/

Interesting that Tony is "consulting" with the Sox and also with Music City Baseball.

I wonder if JR would like to have an expansion team in Nashville and sell the White Sox.

If a new MLB franchise is $2B+, he sells the White Sox for $1.8B, buys in at $2B+ with that group, no tax implication and then he is part of the new investor group in Nashville.  Didn'tthat happen somehow with Montreal, Florida, Boston, Washignton?

MLB gets a viable team in Chicago and then whoever runs Nashville does so with JR not controlling but a passive investor. 

Whoever owns Sox with Reinsdorf could actually buy him out and he could take that revenue to Nashville. 

I think it's more likely JR builds a 25K baseball stadium in west loop.  Small stadium is less overhead and creates a greater demand for big games $$$$, if there ever are any. 

Jerry hasa $2B asset that generates limited cash flow. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

If the Sox move, I doubt there is even a chance of them being replaced by an expansion team. In old days it made sense to have multiple teams in a single market because ticket sales were the main revenue stream. Not the case anymore as baseball is better off financially by having a larger number of MLB markets for its current revenue generators. Historically only one dual team city market that lost a team got an expansion team, NY, and even that one didn't restore it to three teams it had for the previous 58 seasons.

I don't believe Nashville is his first choice, but I believe he is making it a strong candidate just to be able to strong arm Illinois. And I don't believe Illinois will cave this time. Illinois is not the same state it was in the late 1980's. No chance that meeting was intended to be a "secret".

Also Nashville is going to take any team they can get. It won't matter if the Sox are 90 game losers or 90 game winners at that point. Them holding out for an expansion team over the Sox isn't going to happen, as getting an expansion team when only two are likely is a complete crap shoot.

7 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I don't believe Nashville is his first choice, but I believe he is making it a strong candidate just to be able to strong arm Illinois. And I don't believe Illinois will cave this time. Illinois is not the same state it was in the late 1980's. No chance that meeting was intended to be a "secret".

How about Indiana?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think at this point, even Cubs fans would be disillusioned. Jerry has made unforced error after unforced error, with both his teams. He doesn't learn from them. He doubles down.  He's lucky he's a really bright guy so he has something to fall back on, because he's nowhere near as bright as he thinks he is. 

The main reason the Sox rebuild failed so spectacularly was unlike all the other teams that sucked so bad they had to tear it down to the studs, they kept the idiots who made the decisions that got them into that predicament. 

That was when I turned on them.  When they let the kid that drove the car into the ditch turn around and drive the tow truck.