Jung Hoo Lee

striker

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I feel like teams paying what they can afford (easily) says more about the Sox' cheapness than anything else.

Spending bad money on an overpay though because they can afford it is asinine. Korean hitters rarely translate well to MLB and they just paid him elite outfielder money

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Spending bad money on an overpay though because they can afford it is asinine. Korean hitters rarely translate well to MLB and they just paid him elite outfielder money

Oh analytics wise I think it's a stupid move. But the Giants could throw 115 million down a drain in the Tenderloin district and be no worse for wear. The league is printing money, and in this fiscal environment is by far the safest vehicle to protect and build generational wealth.

My point was more that bad contracts come in all shapes and sizes, and with the Sox, a lot of "less risky" deals (because they are shorter years or dollars) are just as "risky" (again, it's all relative, nobody is going bankrupt here) and moreso even as you're wasting more roster spots.

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Is $18.5M AAV even that much money these days? More like solid contributor $ than elite OF $ nowadays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Giants must see the writing on the wall and fear missing out on all the big names.

That's not going to move the bar enough because it will take time to adjust mechanics to fastball velocity in majors...just like HaSeong Kim progression.  Kim was one of the most valuable players in the game this year but one season too late.

At least defense doesn't usually slump...unless you're Benintendi.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I feel like the KBO position players haven’t been good overall here.

I feel like pitching is so much easier to translate from a scouting perspective.

The problem with international leagues is similar to the problem with colleges and etc. A guy can make a living off hitting pitches he'd never see in a major league game consistently. Additionally there's just not enough samples off top-tier stuff to draw any concrete conclusions about how they will really respond there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is $18.5M AAV even that much money these days? More like solid contributor $ than elite OF $ nowadays. 

For a guy who could find himself out of the big leagues in 2 years I'd say so. The floor here is a lot lower than a typical FA. Ceiling also probably a little higher.

Lee, a South Korean MVP and the son of a former MVP, can terminate the deal after four years and $72 million to become a free agent again.

Zaidi discussed the team's negotiations with Ohtani and said the club had made three different offers, including a final proposal very similar to the deal with the Dodgers.

"The proposal that was made was very comparable if not identical to what he wound up agreeing to,” Zaidi said during a video call. “We offered what would have been the biggest contract in major league history. I’m guessing we weren’t the only team that did that. But wanted to show our aggressiveness and interest right out of the gate.”

SFgate.com/sports

Giants are now claiming they largely lost out on Ohtani "due to geography."

10 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Over 100 mil…….JR not going that high ever

Probably has a clause that will be opened upon JR's "untimely" death which binds the Board of Directors to never signing a Sox player for over $100 million into perpetuity, lol...

South Side "lunch pail/working class/blue collar" indeed.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would not have paid this.

You're going to be saying the same thing about the next 15 pitchers off the board.

Which ultimately works in favor of JR and Getz I guess.

Of course most fanbases don't attend due to rational, risk-mitigating front offices.  Not exactly inspirational.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're going to be saying the same thing about the next 15 pitchers off the board.

Which ultimately works in favor of JR and Getz I guess.

Of course most fanbases don't attend due to rational, risk-mitigating front offices.  Not exactly inspirational.

No I wouldn’t.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, Eminor3rd said:

Yes but… this is a rebuild, and he’s likely to get some real money.

The entire offseason has operated precisely like year Two normally would, the only difference is we haven’t traded all our guys yet because they’re all at the nadir of their value, except Cease who will move soon and Robert who could be around for the next push. I expect anyone who recovers value to be jettisoned at the deadline. 

To be honest, if you accept my premise of a rebuild occurring slightly out of order, Getz isn’t doing a horrible job so far. The first real test, though, is typically the trades that he hasnt quite made yet. 

This is the way.

A little more than I would have expected but I think at worst he's a good defensive outfielder who will get on base. have to think multiple interested teams drove up his value. the AAV seems fine but 5 years would've been a bit more team friendly. but maybe his game translates real well and he has 20 homer potential. 

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

A little more than I would have expected but I think at worst he's a good defensive outfielder who will get on base. have to think multiple interested teams drove up his value. the AAV seems fine but 5 years would've been a bit more team friendly. but maybe his game translates real well and he has 20 homer potential. 

He's going to be a lot closer to Ichiro than a 20-25 homer guy...especially playing 81 games in SF.