Why Sox need a Soxfest...

Lip Man 1

Only Hal Steinbrenner has owned a team longer than JR. Hanging out with a Hall of Fame guy, a long term owner, and a few other lesser lights seems like a great way to spend an evening. 

Although if both of the season ticket holders show up it may be just a light crowded in the snack bar. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Only Hal Steinbrenner has owned a team longer than JR.

WTF? Hal was 12 when Jerry purchased the White Sox. George stepped down in 2007.

Jerry Reinsdorf has owned the White Sox longer than any current MLB, NHL, NBA or NFL owner except the Bruins owner (Jeremy jacobs).

Jerry outlasted three generations of Wirtz since his purchase (Arthur, Bill and Rocky).

Yankee Global Enterprises has had continued ownership longer. 

But yes, on a personal level that makes it even better. JR has seen every other team change ownership. An evening with him would be interesting. He's been a part of so much baseball history. 

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh holds PiratesFest.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/pirates-notes-cherington-cruz-keller.html

• GM Ben Cherington made it clear that the Pirates’ offseason work is far from over, stating “We’re engaged on a number of fronts, and certainly my hope is that there’s going to be more happening between now and Spring Training.”
  • Pirates Manger Dan Shelton stated “Our goal was to play playoff games in OctoberWhether that’s winning the Central, which is definitely the goal, or being a playoff caliber team, that’s something we’re striving for.

The Pittsburgh Pirates are top five in MLB Player Development spending. They finished 76-86 last season, but haven’t advanced in the playoffs since their 2013 Wild Card win.

That said, the White Sox may never accomplish any of these three accomplishments / accomplish again (Top 5 Player Development spending, 76 wins, advancing in the playoffs for the first time since 2005) with current ownership.

It will be interesting if White Sox payroll drops below Pirates payroll in 2025 and beyond. The Pirates last topped the White Sox in Opening Day payroll in 2018, and finished with a higher final payroll in 2018 and 2017. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Anyone going to the event at the Field Musuem on Friday? I am curious what players and coaches they bring in.

My guess is players will be Benetendi, Jiminez, Vaughn and a couple pitchers from active roster and then about 20 guys ranging from Fisk to Donn Pall

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Anyone going to the event at the Field Musuem on Friday? I am curious what players and coaches they bring in.

I’ll be there. I’m not entirely sure what to expect, but I do know private events at the Field Museum are quite nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Jerry going to get lit up of he's there lol

Maybe this is a good sign - they plan on cleaning a lot up but really are positive / hopeful they will be in a better position a year from now to really be turning the trajectory (not saying we will be talking about a playoff team next year - but maybe last year and part of this year is the rock bottom and than they start moving up - new stadium becomes official, some younger prospects start to take off, they make a few more moves to improve young talent in system (at a cost of ML talent of course) and than we see them start to making some better investments into the franchise.  

I still expect a rough couple of years - but as pessimistic as I have become (which is hard for me to say cause I'm an optimist) - I haven't had much issue with most of what Getz has been doing.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

10 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Jerry going to get lit up of he's there lol

IMO, that’s a stupid decision if they are as bad as we mostly think they will be in 2024.  They may as well wait until they have a halfway decent season and then bring back SoxFest, since they have already proven to be so cowardly about facing the music over the last couple years.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Makes me think they’re confident they will have a new stadium deal within next year 

This would be the only thing that makes sense.  It’s pretty unlikely that the Sox performance in 2024 is going to get Sox fans excited and amicable at the 2025 SoxFest.  🤣